What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Pink floyd.....Epic

Ph-patrol

Veteran
If you get in to the Floyd ,It will change the way you listen to music forever.
One way to start is watch the movie The wall.This a good intro to there music.You will realize the songs are deeper than just what you here on the radio. They blend into a masterpiece.

The movie is more than just a trippy psychedelic flick. Don't get me wrong its tripy but the rabbit whole goes way deeper than that.
This a great movie to watch with others that want an experience.

The other is to listen to Dark side of the moon.
This is great on a long drive bye your self.This will leave your mind swimming.

There is way more than that to them Its Just a bit of a start.

All welcome

I think you are understating the brilliance of pink floyd:biggrin:.
When I first started listening to them I wasn't over keen on them, but the more I listened to them the more I liked them. Now I have been into them for many years and appreciate them for the musical mavericks or modern day bards that they are.

Some of pink floyds music speaks to you something that cannot be said with words. They tend to exist outside of time, and in some of their tracks it is very apparent. Many times I have gone camping in mountainous areas and had pink floyd playing on my car stereo like a soundtrack to the experience I was having. Certain albums go perfectly with the mountains and nature such as Animals, Wish you were here, Atom heart mother, Momentary lapse of reason etc.

I will forever greatly appreciate the audible magick of pink floyd, and they have definately burned themselves into my inner being.

Their music truly grows on you, and for me is quite deeply spiritual on a lot of their tracks. They have a musical connection that I have not seen in other bands, although Jimi Hendrix and his guitar were as one and probably comes close to floyds brilliance.

The music and magick of pink floyd will live forever.

Peace and love friend:)

Added: I think I am understating their brilliance also...

944s2

ICMag Donor
Veteran
hiya,,,,,
two posts about "pink Floyds" greatness and no mention of syd barret,, hang your heads in shame:) lol,,,,944s2

paint4420

Syd Barrett was a tock star and an inspiration. I dont know if I would call him a genious. The person(s) that stand out to me are roger waters and david Gilmore. Who both worked on the wall and told a remarkable story of their experience mixed with very strong personal messages. If you actually analyze the movie. (Their is a good website for it as well) It will touch your soul and change the way you think about life and your goals. Its by far the most incredible peice of artwork I have had the pleasure of experiencing

And that is putting lightly

If there was any prevailing message to come away with its three things possibly more

1. Dont let your painfull negative experience s Isolate you from family freinds people or life
2.Family and love is more important than fame or fortune
3.the children are our future so start with them if you want a good world for tommorow

cough_cough_eer

Anita Bonghitt
Veteran
I saw Roger Waters (the wall tour) a few years ago in Dallas. What a treat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ive seen the movie, will see it again
listen to the album over and over

The concert really told the story for me.:bow:

Ph-patrol

Veteran
Mother should I trust the Goverment

Mother should I trust the Goverment

A fatherless only child with an over protective Mom.

Mother do you think they'll drop the bomb
Mother do you think they'll like the song
Mother do you think they'll try to break my balls
Ooooh aah, Mother should I build a wall
Mother should I run for president
Mother should I trust the government
Mother will they put me in the firing line
Ooooh aah, is it just a waste of time
Hush now baby, baby don't you cry
Mama's gonna make all of your
Nightmares come true
Mama's gonna put all of her fears into you
Mama's gonna keep you right here
Under her wing
she won't let you fly but she might let you sing
Mama will keep baby cosy and warm
Ooooh Babe Ooooh Babe Ooooh Babe
Of course Mama's gonna help build the wall

Mother do think she's good enough for me
Mother do think she's dangerous to me
Mother will she tear your little boy apart
Oooh aah, mother will she break my heart
Hush now baby, baby don't you cry
Mama's gonna check out all your girl friends for you
Mama won't let anyone dirty get through
Mama's gonna wait up till you get in
Mama will always find out where
You've been
Mamma's gonna keep baby healthy and clean
Ooooh Babe Ooooh Babe Ooooh Babe
You'll always be a baby to me
Mother, did it need to be so high.

BlueBlazer

What were we talking about?
Veteran
Atom Heart Mother and Meddle are also excellent, in a different way. It always seemed to me that Atom Heart Mother led to Meddle which led to Dark Side of the Moon.

I love their whole catalog, but my personal favorite is Meddle. It's very mellow and a bit more whimsical than their later music.

BlackBuds

To me the peak of Floyd is Pompei. From the time I was in High School to now I have seen the movie 100s of times, many times on acid or shrooms. The song "A Saucer full of Secrets" made a huge impact on me as a musician and became a huge part of my style and personality.
Syd Barrett had the potential to become genius if not for his psychosis that was magnified by huge amounts of LSD, Mandrex, and anything else he could get into his system. What Syd ended up was alone in his room...the heart and soul of Pink Floyd and the inspiration for albums like the Wall, Wish You Were Here, DSOFTM and others. In the end the band became Roger Waters and the remaining others resent him to this day. The members of PF were all very skilled and highly intelligent that met in Architecture college. Syd was a rock star from day one and the others all knew it and he led them to the path they ended up creating and then finishing.
One of the greatest experiences of my life was sitting in the front row at Oakland coliseum in 1986 when PF (without Waters) reunited for the first time. I was heavily dosed but remember it vividly. There were two sets and in between sets it started raining. The wind picked up as the lights dimmed. I could not tell at first but there was also the sound af a gail wind coming from the speakers. Then it started..."One of these days (I'm going to cut you into little pieces). This is probably the most intense and my favorite song on Meddle. With Gilmore at front of stage sitting down at the pedal steel (slide), the rain pouring down, the wind blowing the rain and Gilmore's hair at a 45 degree angle. Im in the front row getting trails off of everything. This may have been the most blissful state I have ever been in and left with a memory that will be forever etched in my mind. Listen to this song on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRPCrWPAtEQ&list=RDaRPCrWPAtEQ now and imagine me in the front row on acid and it is pouring rain.......FUK (Im back there right now) :)

Last edited:

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Ummagumma, 1969!! Although liked, of course, DSOTM, Division Bell, Momentary Lapse of Reason. Yep....their music transcends decades, generations.

N

noyd666

all the lp's of pink Floyd I had years ago were worn right out , replaced with cd's of the same like music, hard to beat. DARK SIDE OF THE MOON.

bad gas

I met my wife at one of my band's Pink Floyd tribute shows at a local hippy coffeehouse.

I owe them.

Comfortably Numb gets my vote. bg

944s2

ICMag Donor
Veteran

Latest posts

Latest posts