What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Reefer Madness still alive and well in the Land of the Long White Cloud

Brother Nature

I saw this article in one of our more popular 'news' sites. Pretty fucking amazing people still think like this with all the actual information available on cannabis legalization and it's effects. Pure garbage from a time long past. The worst thing is that at our morning coffee break my workmates were talking about this, reeling off all the untruths and bullshit propaganda like it was new information. The worst bit is I can't even correct them because of this very attitude towards smokers. We can have 3-4 beers every Friday afternoon and no one bats an eye, but if they knew I had a smoke everyday after work (and a lot before) I'd be chastised.

Legalised dope is a licence for Big Marijuana to exploit young people

Bob McCoskrie 05:00, Nov 15 2018

OPINION: I visited Colorado recently to see first-hand the effects of legalised marijuana. I quickly realised the drug has come a long way since the days of Cheech & Chong.

The New Zealand referendum promised during the term of the current Parliament isn't about a toke or a tinnie. We're talking about Big Marijuana: a money-making industry of lobbyists and special interest groups putting profits over evidence-based policy protecting public health and safety, and ready to flout and challenge any regulations.

While dope shops in Colorado have forms of marijuana buds to smoke, almost half the business is now in highly potent cannabis concentrates: edibles, dabbing (smoking highly concentrated THC), and vaping. The average psychoactive component of cannabis (THC) of all tested flower last year in Colorado was 19.6 per cent, and the average potency of concentrated extract products was 68.6 per cent. Potency rates of up to 95 per cent have been recorded.

The 2 per cent THC "Woodstock weed" has been replaced by popping a handful of Gummi Bears containing 10 times the legal limit of THC per serving, or a 90 per cent THC dab.

"Ditch weed" refers to weak weed. It used to mean under 3 per cent THC. Today, "ditch" in Colorado is anything 15 per cent or less. This is definitely not your parents' pot.
Advertisement

With increased potency comes increased health risks, including mental illness, psychotic symptoms, suicidal thoughts among teens, respiratory problems, and a greater likelihood of addiction. And addiction is exactly what Big Marijuana wants.

It fascinates me that, at the same time as we are rightly booting Big Tobacco out of the country, we are in the process of putting down the welcome mat for Big Marijuana.

We got sucked in once, but we finally understood that the claims made by Big Tobacco – how healthy the product was, that it wasn't addictive, and that they weren't targeting young people – were all big, fat lies. The supporters of dope are now peddling the same myths.

In Colorado, I saw all sorts of THC-infused products, including coffee, ice-cream, baked goods, lollipops, fizzy drinks, tea, hot cocoa, breath mints and spray, pills, Gummi Bears, chewing gum, marinara sauce, and even suppositories. Big Marijuana deliberately targets these products at the young. The earlier they can get someone addicted, the better for business.

Users will be drinking it, chewing it, sucking it, and eating it as a dessert. These products are easily transportable and readily concealed or disguised. Teens and 20s-somethings will love it, and that should worry us all.

Despite 65 per cent of local jurisdictions in Colorado banning any medical and recreational marijuana businesses in their areas because of public discontent, there are now more marijuana stores statewide than McDonald's and Starbucks combined.

Other disturbing trends include the yearly rate of marijuana-related hospitalisations in Colorado increasing by 148 per cent, and toxicology reports showing the percentage of adolescent suicide victims testing positive for marijuana has increased.

At a time when New Zealand's mental health system is bursting at the seams, why would we legitimise a mind-altering product that will simply add to social harm? It's patently obvious that legalisation will increase its use, and harm.

There is one positive about the referendum, though: it has revealed the ultimate agenda of drug advocates. The smokescreens of "medicinal cannabis" or "decriminalisation" no longer work. We now know the ultimate goal: legalisation of recreational dope. And, if we listen to drug advocates internationally, they will want legalisation not just of this drug but all drugs – cocaine, heroin, P.

Big Marijuana has high hopes for New Zealand, but liberalising marijuana laws is the wrong path to go down if we care about public health, public safety, and about our young people.
Now the focus is on Canada, where I'll be visiting next, although disturbing trends are already starting to emerge.
This is not a "war on drugs" – this is a defence of our brains. People should always come before profits.
We should say no to Big Marijuana.
* Bob McCoskrie is director of Family First New Zealand
Stuff

Gry

Am sure I am not the only one to have seen people that sound just like this man, turn 180 degrees in the space of a dime when a loved gets cancer.

ozzieAI

Veteran
yeah the double standards and hypocrisy around this issue is obvious....yeah drink booze till your liver shuts down, eat your way to a heart attack, smoke ciggies till ya die...but for heavens sake don't use weed...wankers....

Hort1

Am sure I am not the only one to have seen people that sound just like this man, turn 180 degrees in the space of a dime when a loved gets cancer.
I have the exact same view ,seen it myself when the big C comes knocking suddenly those guys change there tune.

T

Teddybrae

Sorting thru the Rhetoric ... smoking anything gives you cancer. Cannabis = kidney and bladder cancer. sorry Guys, but the Stats are there plain to see. Don't smoke ... anything!
(But the rest of the piece is drivel from conservatives allied with the Catholic Church.)

Rider420

Sorting thru the Rhetoric ... smoking anything gives you cancer. Cannabis = kidney and bladder cancer. sorry Guys, but the Stats are there plain to see. Don't smoke ... anything!
(But the rest of the piece is drivel from conservatives allied with the Catholic Church.)

SAJLMFAO

If smoking is the cause of cancer in tobacco users why do people who chew tobacco get cancer? Its a joke to believe that drinking water causes cancer because alcohol causes cancer just because both are liquids.

Cannabis has never been shown to cause cancer smoked chewed or eaten!

Sorry dude but medical cannabis has been legal and studied for the past twenty years in Canada and there has been no sign of increased cancer in the quarter of a million people with prescriptions.

BTW its now legal for all Canadians of legal age to use cannabis for any reason they want and soon the Kiwis will follow.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Truth!

And there's nothing wrong with smoking **clean** cannabis. Tokers don't believe my lungs are clean while using clean cannabis, doctors don't believe me when I say I toke 24/7 while awake (they say my lungs are perfectly clear). ;)

TheDarkStorm

Id love to see factual long term researched evidence ov all these negatives they keep trying to push on ppl concerning cannabis.. mabe idiots like the guy who wrote the article should spend more time on telling the truth on how much alcohol cost the medical system each year, how addictive it really is an how it gives you some ov the worse withdrawal symptoms how much money is wasted on treatments only to go to waste due to drinking again..how many ppl are atacked or beaten due to alcohol, how many families are broken up an how many childrens lives are ruined, how many trafic accidents are caused an how many drunk ppl tie up urgently needed abundances or start calling the emergency services, how much tax is evaded due to organised gangs importing alchol an how much of that money then goes to support other criminal activity, how many ppl it kills each year an how many children are left with out a parent..an the tons ov other nonsense it causes like ppl flashing in public or urinating on your doorstep or on your walls...an they hav the cheak to moan about a harmless plant that hapens to grow wild all over the earth, somthing our body has special receptors for...