What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Diy steel hoop house.

CrushnYuba

What's the largest hoop bender? I've seen 24 foot jigs I'm guessing that's as big as it goes without making my own.

I will be building a 24x40 or 50ft long and will probably go double inflated poly. Would I block too much uv if I use a frosted plastic for privacy sake on one of my double layers?

They don't sell jigs for wider then 24ft because that is kind of the limit for top rail. You need stronger pipe if you want to go wider.

I don't know what you mean by frosted. Opaque? You can't see through 2 layers of clear.

p0opstlnksal0t

They don't sell jigs for wider then 24ft because that is kind of the limit for top rail. You need stronger pipe if you want to go wider.

I don't know what you mean by frosted. Opaque? You can't see through 2 layers of clear.

Ah that's makes sense. I've seen lots of used 30' hoop kits on Craigslist but still overpriced compared to just making a 24 footer with top rail.

Yes I meant opaque for better privacy. So 2 layers of clear diffuses the light enough to not see inside?

What type of pellet stove do you run in your gh? Is a pellet stove on a tstat a better option than say a vented or unvented propane heater? During night time is a pellet stove heater sufficient to lick on exhaust to keep humidity down?

I was thinking of running 8ft led shop light strips up top to supplement daylight during winter growing. I wasn't planning on using hid type lights though, have you seen a need to supplement your gh with hps lighting?

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
Wifi switches and Sonoff look real good. Sonoff TH16 controller is on the way. A step up from zwave and cheeper.

Have you found a preferred app or non subscription platform to operate from?

p0opstlnksal0t

Wifi switches and Sonoff look real good. Sonoff TH16 controller is on the way. A step up from zwave and cheeper.

Have you found a preferred app or non subscription platform to operate from?

Will a sonoff work on anything besides ewelink without reflashing?

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
Sonoff promotes an app Ewelink.
I think that it is a generic open source standard and there are a bunch of apps.

Edit:
It looks like the Sonoff DC relay along with the TH16 will be able to roll the sides down if it rains. Pretty cool.

CrushnYuba

Ah that's makes sense. I've seen lots of used 30' hoop kits on Craigslist but still overpriced compared to just making a 24 footer with top rail.

Yes I meant opaque for better privacy. So 2 layers of clear diffuses the light enough to not see inside?

What type of pellet stove do you run in your gh? Is a pellet stove on a tstat a better option than say a vented or unvented propane heater? During night time is a pellet stove heater sufficient to lick on exhaust to keep humidity down?

I was thinking of running 8ft led shop light strips up top to supplement daylight during winter growing. I wasn't planning on using hid type lights though, have you seen a need to supplement your gh with hps lighting?

You def won't see through 2 layers of clear. A Pellet stove puts out about 50k btu. Same as the small reznor heaters. Pellets are just cheaper then propane and i didn't want to run a gas line from a greenhouse to a big propane tank. You Can forget about using cute little barbq tanks. I rather haul a bag of Pellets. I would never dream of using an unvented propane heater again. They put out moisture and dangerous gas.

I think any light to keep plants from flowering is sufficient. I don't run my hid lights ever.

Zeez: any 110v sonoff will work with 110v dpdt relays for controlling motors. I like the 4ch pro because it's din mount so it will goo into your panel neatly. Also it can run off 24v dc. I use the th16 for my fan and use the temp data it collects to triggers the 4ch pro to roll motors. But you could use a th16 out basic sonoff with a 110v dpdt relay.

This one isn't using a sonoff but you can see how neat it's wired with din rails and wire ducts and how the 4ch pro will fit nicely.
0809191746-HDR.jpg

GOT_BUD?

Weed is a gateway to gardening
ICMag Donor
Veteran
You def won't see through 2 layers of clear. A Pellet stove puts out about 50k btu. Same as the small reznor heaters. Pellets are just cheaper then propane and i didn't want to run a gas line from a greenhouse to a big propane tank. You Can forget about using cute little barbq tanks. I rather haul a bag of Pellets. I would never dream of using an unvented propane heater again. They put out moisture and dangerous gas.

I think any light to keep plants from flowering is sufficient. I don't run my hid lights ever.

Zeez: any 110v sonoff will work with 110v dpdt relays for controlling motors. I like the 4ch pro because it's din mount so it will goo into your panel neatly. Also it can run off 24v dc. I use the th16 for my fan and use the temp data it collects to triggers the 4ch pro to roll motors. But you could use a th16 out basic sonoff with a 110v dpdt relay.

This one isn't using a sonoff but you can see how neat it's wired with din rails and wire ducts and how the 4ch pro will fit nicely.
View Image

That turned out really nice. Professional looking.

May I make a suggestion for the next one? Put your holes coming in on the bottom and add a drip loop to the extension cords outside the box to help keep water out.

This is coming from a guy who has hung hundreds if not thousands of cameras up over the years.

CrushnYuba

That turned out really nice. Professional looking.

May I make a suggestion for the next one? Put your holes coming in on the bottom and add a drip loop to the extension cords outside the box to help keep water out.

This is coming from a guy who has hung hundreds if not thousands of cameras up over the years.

It's so weird that the knock outs are on the side! There are none on the bottom. I wish i could flip the whole enclosure sideways but It's only cec/nec certified to be "weatherproof while in use" the way i installed it with the hinge at the top!
I COULD drill a hole on the bottom but I use waterproof glands so it doesn't really matter. I just set that one up today. I was mid install and hadn't installed the gland for the wires coming in on the right. You can see the gland for the cable coming in on the left though. They work really well.

GOT_BUD?

Weed is a gateway to gardening
ICMag Donor
Veteran
It's so weird that the knock outs are on the side! There are none on the bottom. I wish i could flip the whole enclosure sideways but It's only cec/nec certified to be "weatherproof while in use" the way i installed it with the hinge at the top!
I COULD drill a hole on the bottom but I use waterproof glands so it doesn't really matter. I just set that one up today. I was mid install and hadn't installed the gland for the wires coming in on the right. You can see the gland for the cable coming in on the left though. They work really well.
I use those all the time. The box and the connectors.

When using a box like that I always ignore the knockouts and make my own. I also drill an 1/8" hole in both bottom corners as a weep hole.

If it ever gets frost or snow on it, the electronics inside will heat it up enough to get condensation on the inside and can cause a water build up. The weep holes prevent that. And their small enough bees and wasps can't build a nest in them. You might get some smaller spiders, but that's it.

Although you haven't really lived until you've tried to run away from a nest of angry wasps. :woohoo:

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor

Nice, Clean setup with the DIN rails. Probably best to use 110v and put the power supply on one of the switches. Two motors require a second TH16. A short conduit to a 4 gang outlet box would work for the other switches.

CrushnYuba

Why would you need a second th16 for a second motor? Why not just one th16 and one 120v dpdt? Run both motors together.
I can't really see a use for running the 2 motors independently of each other in regular operation.

Ventilation motors on one relay. Blackout on 1.

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
Keeping the load down. For now there is an extension cord on a 10 amp circuit out there. I could probably set it to shut the fans off while the motors are running too.

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
There is a problem with the Sonoff TH16 in that it only works with a proprietary wifi app on your phone in direct range

Zooz makes a zwave power strip with 5 separate 110v switches for $60. This provides access, control and monitoring from anywhere. A 4 in one sensor for $30 gives temp, humidity, motion, and light sensors. One switch for a 24v power supply, one for a DPDT gives full automated or manual control of roll down motors. The humidity and temp sensors can control fans, dehue, or roll down with if-then rules. Zwave Plus has a 250' range with a mesh network, so each additional device becomes a range extender.

The motion and light detectors in the 4 in 1 sensor are a good start on security with notification or turning on lights etc..

$100 and you are living large.

https://www.thesmartesthouse.com/co...s/products/zooz-z-wave-plus-power-strip-zen20

https://www.thesmartesthouse.com/co...products/zooz-z-wave-plus-4-in-1-sensor-zse40

CrushnYuba

That's not true. Read the instructions. Sonoff connects to the internet via wifi router. You control it from anywhere that has internet.
Is it possible you connected the sonoff to your phones wifi instead of your router?

Mesh network is pretty cool.

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
In my case wifi does not reach the green house but zwave does. I downloaded the app and it wasn't anything close to zwave capabilities using a Vera or Hubitat hub.

CrushnYuba

Aa.. I see. Wifi does only go so far. Z wave mesh is less limiting in that way. I have a bunch of 8$ network extenders so i have wifi coverage everywhere.

Ewelink is not the most user friendly programs. Its more of a open source developer type thing then a consumer type. But it should do everything you want, it just might not be super obvious. To really do the more complex operations, you need to use IFTTT (if this then that). I don't think there is anything you couldn't do with IFTTT.