What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Removing chloramine from 1000 gallons of water

h.h.

Veteran
Chlorine/chloride costs money. They use as little as possible.
Organic matter and bacterial numbers are taken into account when calculating necessary amounts. The water companies are concerned with these numbers at their end, not ours. By the time we get the water, most of the chlorine/chloride has been neutralized.

If concerned, spray your water to oxygenate. Add organic matter. Let it sit for a day, and/or get a filter.

krunchbubble

Dear Haters, I Have So Much More For You To Be Mad
Veteran
Organic matter and bacterial numbers are taken into account when calculating necessary amounts. The water companies are concerned with these numbers at their end, not ours. By the time we get the water, most of the chlorine/chloride has been neutralized.

If concerned, spray your water to oxygenate. Add organic matter. Let it sit for a day, and/or get a filter.

I would think just the filling action of the tank would neutralize the chlorine. Doesn't take much.

Most water companies use chloramine instead of chlorine...

It does not dissipate when it sits, needs to be filtered out...

Joe fukko

I have issues with the rates at which they are adding chloramine sometimes my city water comes out reaking like chlorine and others not. It cannot be good for the plants. Once the Humic wears off would it that spike chlorine levels in the media?

h.h.

Veteran
I have issues with the rates at which they are adding chloramine sometimes my city water comes out reaking like chlorine and others not. It cannot be good for the plants. Once the Humic wears off would it that spike chlorine levels in the media?
Nope.
I would do an occasional light water to waste flush though, if you don't already.

CBDman

you can bubble that water with large outside swimmingpool pump.
You dont need filter.

If you want you can use the sand as filtering that is made for these pumps.

I would anyway runt it without filter.

you can today buy these cheap.
80-200dollar
and now we talk huge very powerful filterpump
because of that large amount tank you have

anyway there is different city waters.
Here we have one of worlds best pure waters to drink.
Some countries have bad water.
I dont know how to handle very bad water anyway

if you like that water bubble effective buy a pump that handle about 3000 gallons per hour... 3-4 times more the tank capacity

Joe fukko

Th:tiphat:ey put lots of chorine and chloramine in because it will cost alot more if some baby dies because they didnt add enough.

Player2

UV filters for aquariums, ponds, hot tubs... you pick your size. Then bubble.

"Between the wavelengths 180 nm to 400 nm UV light produces photochemical reactions which dissociate free chlorine to form hydrochloric acid. The peak wavelengths for dissociation of free chlorine range from 180 nm to 200 nm, while the peak wavelengths for dissociation of chloramines (mono-, di-, and tri-chloramine) range from 245 nm to 365 nm. Figure 1 shows the UV output of a high intensity Hanovia medium pressure UV lamp. Up to 5ppm of chloramines can be successfully destroyed in a single pass through a UV reactor and up to 15ppm of free chlorine can be removed."

The googles of uv chloramine

Latest posts

Latest posts