What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

180 watt led light vs T5

nick11

Veteran
Hello all I'm debating on making the switch to an led. I've been running a 400 watt hps the past ten years, and need a change. Basically I'm looking for a light that puts off less heat. I'm stuck on whether to get a 180 watt led or 4 bulb T5 fluoro. Anyone have led experiece? How close can you keep an led over the canopy? I'm just scared to switch because the hps has always been good to me, but the heat is too much in my small closet. Thanks peace out

nick11

Veteran
Well I went with a led 300 watt. Did quite a bit of research, and it should be fine for my small 4 plant closet grow. Amazon had some sweet deals on led lights too. Peace

nick11

Veteran
Thnx ...I'll be sure to post sum pics when I get it going. I have 2 bubblegum x soma lavender, 1 matanuska tundra x haze, and 1 afghani about 10 days under a shoplight. Can't wait to throw em under the led. Later

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn
Which LED? 300W draw or max? Distance depends on the lens angle used. For example my last grow I had a single Blackstar Chrome 180w max (110w draw) about 20" above a 2'x3' canopy. And summer temp were no problem for me. Now that it's cooling off I'm running a second and they are 12" from the canopy.

nick11

Veteran
Got it all set up last night. The light put off zero heat..truly amazing. I have it about 1.5 feet over canopy. Mars hydro is the brand, it's a dual veg/flower combo light.

DJXX

Veteran
I own over ten of these all sizes and for the $ they are the best out there..ck out the link....they have many types and the giant lens just kill the rest...inexpensive too...what ever the output is it takes half the electricity to operate themj...so an 800 bigeye takes 430 watts power to run...DJXX
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...0.XBIGEYES+LED.TRS0&_nkw=BIGEYES+LED&_sacat=0
picture.php

picture.php

fuggzy

WOOOHOOO

WOOOHOOO

Grats on getting the led. :woohoo: I don't have much experience, but I do have 1 harvest under a diy led. I don't use any lenses, but I'm in a micro cab currently, and penetration isn't a problem.

I run 4 vero 10s. 2 @ 3000k, and 2 @ 3500k. Ran at 350ma. ~26.7v * .35a=9.345w *4= 37.38w total. in 143 sq inches

picture.php

I comfortably ran the light at 4" above the flower. I was more worried about bleaching than heat. This most likely would not be the case for a larger unit. My lights don't get really hot till ~1" below them.

This is the bud I just harvested at 4 days drying. I also had to harvest early. :(
picture.php

I hope you love the light. Maybe next time you could look into building 1. I have 24 more cobs and ~30 3w leds for a 4x2 tent. I get to pick the spectrum, placement of lights, and pull my hair out too. :) It's a lot of research, but worth it. Way cheaper too. Either way, lets the frosty buds fly.