What's new

Dried comfrey roots, what can I do with them?

fuggzy

So I acquired a pound of dried comfrey roots, and not sure how I could make them useful. The person that got them was planing to make teas to drink, and changed their mind. I've read all about using the leaves, and have my own growing. I also know about the massive taproot, and mining for minerals. However I haven't seen anyone talk about using the root bedsides splitting crowns. The exact product I have is at.
https://www.mountainroseherbs.com/products/comfrey-root/profile

Some uses I thought of are:
Just as mulch (only enough for 1 plant).
Add to compost.
Grind it to a powder and just start sprinkling it on things. We have an industrial coffee grinder.
Adding to teas for feeding (i made 1 to drink, and thats about all for me).
Feed it to the worms that will be here next week.

Only info I could find was how to kill the root, or harvest it for health benefits. I'll keep looking. Any suggestions?

xmobotx

ecks moe baw teeks
ICMag Donor
Veteran
ground up it can be a soil amendment, top-dress or compost/worm food

you can use it sparingly for best results ~it's potent

Scrappy4

Veteran
ground up it can be a soil amendment, top-dress or compost/worm food

you can use it sparingly for best results ~it's potent

Exactly, plus add teas. I made up a mix of dried comfrey root, dandelion root and nettles root. I use maybe a 1/4 cup of the mix in 5 gallons of tea, one or twice in flower.

I did not like it as a top dress, like other powders it tends to clump up into a crust. I have used it as a soil amendment without any issues.

fuggzy

Thanks guys. I didn't realize it was that potent. Makes this small bag look bigger than I thought. I think I'll split it between the worms and making teas.

Scrappy, the tea you made. Was it just equal parts of the roots? Do you brew it like a ACT?

Thanks again guys.

Scrappy4

Veteran
Thanks guys. I didn't realize it was that potent. Makes this small bag look bigger than I thought. I think I'll split it between the worms and making teas.

Scrappy, the tea you made. Was it just equal parts of the roots? Do you brew it like a ACT?

Thanks again guys.

I just use a aquarium bubbler over night, like a normal botanical tea, but not as long or with as much air as a proper
compost tea. The idea here is just to mix it up good and possibly get some of the mix suspended in the water for feeding. Like one might make a kelp meal tea.

And yes I used equal.parts of each.

fuggzy

I just use a aquarium bubbler over night, like a normal botanical tea, but not as long or with as much air as a proper
compost tea. The idea here is just to mix it up good and possibly get some of the mix suspended in the water for feeding. Like one might make a kelp meal tea.

And yes I used equal.parts of each.

Thanks for the info. I've made some ewc/compost teas, and extracts, but no botanicals yet. Time to go study up on them. :scripture: A few more nights of reading till 3am and my wife is gonna think I'm having an affair with my plants.