What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Jed's 52w pl-l PC grow

For the last 3 years I have been hauling around a hollowed out PC case, something like 5-6 different houses/apts.
I'm very happy to have final found a spot where i could work on it, and over the course of the last 3 month or so finally cobbled together this little guy.
This will be my first grow, something i've wanted to do for like 10 years (just never found the right situation till now)
Big time credit goes to Mr Micro for the insperation, and my buddies at mycotopia for the final push of motivation.

Lights are 2x 26w pl-l putting out 2400 lumens each, 4800 total
Grow space is approx 8 x 5.5 x 11
Intake is passive, my own design (blocks 99% of the light unless you look from the bottom/side)
Colling/scrubbing is handeled by a 12v micro blower with diy scrubber (which is gonna get retooled bc i'm not too happy with temps after loading with carbon)
There is also a lexan heat shield to help funnel the cooling air over the lights
Soil is a 50/50 mix of suculantmix and standard potting mix, w/ anout 5% fresh worm castings
Planning on 12/12 from seed, watering with casting tea
Strain is NYCD from a buddies recent grow....
And i think that about covers it.. its been a fun build, hopefully it'll be a fun grow too

Attachments

• box side-front.jpg
    box side-front.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 35
  • box front.jpg
    box front.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 30
  • box back.jpg
    box back.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 32
  • box open side.jpg
    box open side.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 35
  • box bright.jpg
    box bright.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_2015021229303.jpg
    IMG_2015021229303.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 27
Btw this is my first grow and i'll probably be needin some help along the way...

Speaking of which
I've been trying to decide on trying scrog or LST, do any of you micro vets have any recommendations or good links they could share

unk1

everything looks pretty good to me. I would say you'd be safe giving 18/6 or even full 24 for a few days, maybe even a week before going 12/12. especially if you plan on doing some sort of scrog or LST. i recently made the mistake of thinking i didnt have enough room due to known heavy stretching going into flowering... dont want to waste any of that precious space!

unk1

ohhhhh, that i dont know. didn't realize you already had it on 12/12. stick with it and see how it goes.

Jed. Pc grows are great. Been using mine for a couple years now...prolly ran a dozen strains or so thus far. I've tried a lot of methods and techniques, so if you have questions feel free to ask.

I'm with the others on veg time. It does no good to 12/12 from seed. Yes, it works but a plant will not begin to flower until it reaches maturity. So for that few weeks (strain dependant) why not give it the extra light? If you are looking to a scrog you will definitely need veg time. Also, that veg time will give u a chance to take a clone or two. Afterall, you never know when your going to find that keeper pheno.

Whatever method you choose, it's a learning process. Lots of ways to get good results in a pc. Try a few methods and see which methods work for your situation.

Good luck, and like I said before....if there's anything I can help with just let me know.

Btw, 12/12 from seed on most genetics is going to give u budsicles. So you might want to pop a couple more beans and do a micro sog style.

I ran my tower on 18/6 lighting for one month and then switched to 12/12. I started training the two plants to grow inside with no problem at all.

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
Cool build man! But I suggest you get a bigger container for the plant, something shallow but with more surface, so you got more soil, and also more space for the plant.

Good luck! :lurk:

Ya i got a bonsai pot on on the way that measures 7 x 5 x 2.5, so it'll be the same height but take up almost the entire bottom of the box. Was planning on transfering when it got in.

Hopefully i can finish my scrubber today and i can post some update pics

Here are the pics of the scrubber setup. Materials were all things i had laying around Loaded with activated carbon chips. I can tell it has pretty good flow because the fan bearly revs up like it did with the resistance of the old design (which was just the black bottom with a screen at tge bottom)
Still got some temp issues, but i have realized that it is because the hot vented air is having a hard time getting out of the front vents. Gonna work on that this weekend.

Update pic is day 7 from seed. I was wondering what you guys thought of tilting the container to get the plant to bend itself over, kind of like a little pre-lst training

Attachments

• day 07-2.jpg
    day 07-2.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 28
  • day 07-1.jpg
    day 07-1.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 34
  • scrubber.jpg
    scrubber.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 26
  • scrubber parts.jpg
    scrubber parts.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 24

Bonsai pot came in this week and i finally got a chance to transfer last night.
So this is the set up at day 12, i will be drilling some holes for string around the top to tie it down, or thats the plan anyways... This plant is growing "up" very slowly.

Attachments

• IMG_2015022113823.jpg
    IMG_2015022113823.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_2015022112634.jpg
    IMG_2015022112634.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_201502211372.jpg
    IMG_201502211372.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 27
That looks plenty big from i've seen. Just use a low prifile pot that takes up as much of the floor space as possible. That case looks to be about the same size as mine.

I had a quick question...
I've noticed that both thecstem and the very tips of the new growth seem to have a redish/purple tint ti them. The leaf tips look fine when they grow out, but is this indicative of something? Or maybe just because the get pretty cold during lights off

Was watering last night and noticed a pair of nuts swinging in the breeze, so popped 2 more in some soil, and will be starting again. This will atleast give me a chance to do a little 10 day veg at 18/6 before flipping.

What do you guys think about adding some blood meal to my mix? Or to the compost tea water?

unk1

That looks plenty big from i've seen. Just use a low prifile pot that takes up as much of the floor space as possible. That case looks to be about the same size as mine.

I had a quick question...
I've noticed that both thecstem and the very tips of the new growth seem to have a redish/purple tint ti them. The leaf tips look fine when they grow out, but is this indicative of something? Or maybe just because the get pretty cold during lights off

i'm not a professional but, i noticed the redish color means the stems are being exposed to a lot of light. doesn't seem to hurt the plant, just a "sun tan".