What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

5x 1kw multiple vert test room

whatthe215

Veteran
coco, bare bulbs, lots of plants and a whole buncha trial and error.

gonna figure out what type of setup i like the most.

first to be setup is a 1kw 2 tier SOG. 44 Pre-98 Bubbas in 1gal of coco.

picture.php

picture.php

other plans are a 1kw donut, pots on the floor with a big cage around the bulb. i've got 4 monster blue dreams that've been vegging for a few months that'll probably go around that.

a 2kw stadium. i think 14 topped blue dreams will go in there.

still havent decided if the last 1kw will be vert or horizontal.. probably vert. another donut? or maybe just make the stadium 3kw.

:biggrin: i'm pumped about this room.

D

DHF

I like the concept Bro.......but......unless yas hack the fuck outta laterals after the flip , you`ll have problems in the corners from plants growin into and choking out each other competing for light and environment......guaranteed......

That`s why I ran angled corners with reflective panels that housed all environmental equipment.....that way it kept the plants far enough away from the others and all plants could grow and swell similarly and accordingly.......now.....

Yas gotta get something behind the plants covered in reflectix /orca/prodex ta bounce those lumens back at the plants ftw , and then it`s environment.....anyways.....

Killer job.....Keep dialin.....

Peace...DHF.....:ying:......

whatthe215

Veteran
I like the concept Bro.......but......unless yas hack the fuck outta laterals after the flip , you`ll have problems in the corners from plants growin into and choking out each other competing for light and environment......guaranteed......

That`s why I ran angled corners with reflective panels that housed all environmental equipment.....that way it kept the plants far enough away from the others and all plants could grow and swell similarly and accordingly.......now.....

Yas gotta get something behind the plants covered in reflectix /orca/prodex ta bounce those lumens back at the plants ftw , and then it`s environment.....anyways.....

Killer job.....Keep dialin.....

Peace...DHF.....:ying:......

how this?
picture.php

picture.php

reflectix will be hung around each setup. velcro up top on the ceiling and a weight on the bottom.

very good to have ya as always DHF.

aligee

Veteran
:biggrin:genius! sweet threads bro, def like your style im a vert barebulb mofo myself!!!

D

DHF

Hey Bro.....That`s a lot better as far as getting the corner plants closer to the bulb for better lumen penetration/plant absorption , but you`ve still got the same issues with plants growin into each other and competin for light and environment......so...that said....

Now ....things become trial and error as to when to flip em to figure out where they`ll end up vertically as well as horizontally with the laterals by end of stretch , to learn howta KEEP em in their own personal space without havin ta hack out budsites to maintain said sideways canopy.....once yas figure that out , then it`s.....

Simple..babyshit.....Keep up the killer work my buddy and......

Peace....DHF....:ying:.....

whatthe215

Veteran
aligee, glad you're enjoying em! i'm convinced bare bulbs are the way to go in most circumstances. peace :)

DHF, i hear you on the competing environment. i'm experiencing it in the 5kw stadium, it was definitely over vegged. this room will be flipped with smaller plants.

i wonder how many days of veg they need in 1gal of coco in order to have fully developed root systems at the end of stretch... i don't wanna flip too early for the roots.

anyways, i scrapped the 1kw vert rack setup. built a 3kw stadium, i'm just more comfortable with that... i have some experience with a stadium... SOG vert rack seems to have a steeper learning curve that i dont wanna risk messing up. financial security takes precedence over my curiosity.

that leaves 2kw... 1 will be the blue dream trees and the other will be a test of all my new genetics. i need to figure out which are the keepers so i dont waste time with stuff that ain't suited to my needs. so a donut with 1 of each strain... Girl Scout Cookies, XXX, Deep Sleep, Blackberry Kush, Herojuana OG, Platinum Bubba.

some before photos-
picture.php

picture.php

new 3kw stadium.. not finished yet.. all corners will be angled and obviously lamps needa be hung.
picture.php

picture.php

AzGrOw-N-sMoKe

If you invested in some ridged metal sideing an a pair of good nippers you could cut to width an length a it for the pots to sit on over the board's... this will allow you to control thr drain waste instead of it being able to sit or spill... just a way to keep things 1 step cleaner and easier... Az

frankenstein2

Astronaut Status
Veteran
Man that looks like a sweet space for your set-up. Lot's of room. Just looking at it makes me wish i knew you so i could help you perfect it. I love building grows. With all that space, your gonna kill it. I really like the shelves built with cinder blocks, gives me ideas for when i re-do my room....thanks

whatthe215

Veteran
azgrownsmoke- i was gonna use pondliner like my stadium, but since the boards in this setup have no incline your idea sounds like it might solve that issue. i can angle the metal to drain into a gutter which is angled. THANKS!

DaveTheNooooooooooob- thanks man, wait til it's all finished and clean. i'm super excited.. i think the 3kw stadium is pretty....

frankenstein2- it's nice having room to move around in... first time not being confined in a just large enough room. thanks for stoppin by :)

---

3kw stadium/colosseum? oval?
picture.php

picture.php

DamnUglyDogE

Learning the rules well,so as to break them effect
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Just straight beautiful set up and direction ya gotz..:respect:

Pulls up a seat... :lurk:

----- :alien::ying::alien: -----

why have youi got 3 bulbs at the same height?
drop one down so its level with the bottom row of plants, leave one where its at and fuck the third off

imo

D

DHF

Different levels of bulbs are counterproductive with all plants being of similar structure....IOW...To train plants that`re the same age to grow similarly and act accordingly "while" they grow before end of stretch for that perfect dialed sideways canopy......Lumens need to be constant where the plants receive em from IME.......that said.....

WT....Optimum conditions with that awesome setup dictates that by end of stretch the lower plants don`t get up into the designated upper level plants so as to develop that perfect sideways canopy where ALL plants can gain max lumen exposure till end of cycle ftw.......and that`s.......

What I told yas bout dialin that trial and error time to know when ya flip em and they`ll ALL have their own lil personal space and environment to be all they can be by end of cycle.......without .....

The top colas growin too tall and getting in the way of the upper level`s "lower nugz" and prevent proper lumen absorption and plant swellage.....anyways......

Setup looks awesome with all 4 corners having plants instead of the conventional 2 staggered sides in a rectangle......Glad yas got enough room to experiment and dial as needed......now....

Make sure all know we`re gonna have reflectix panels behind all them bitches asap right ?.......

Holler if I can help....DHF.......:ying:......

whatthe215

Veteran
Alien Dawg, Marlo- good to have ya guys. stay tuned!

hotboxes- nahhh you've got a front row seat man, page 1!

stonedwarrior- i defer to DHFs comments. thanks for the opinion though.

DHF- thank you for explaining that. what're your thoughts on lamp placement during stretch vs. bloom in a setup like this. i've heard ya preach bottoms at plant tops til end of stretch then drop em in there for tree type setups..

in response to top colas growing into the upper levels lower nugz, i see it as sort of a positive. with this bubba cut, it's mostly suckers and larfy BS in that area even with decent light... the stems just aren't developed enough to bring juice to them. that's what i've observed in the 5kw stadium.

and what are your thoughts on adding a few inches between the levels? not sure if the 1k can cover a taller canopy? what vertical height do i want my post stretch canopy to be with 1kw lamps?

oh yeah, bottom corner second photo... reflectix! finally found a HD with em in the area, and they were well hidden.

STUPPA- thanks! definitely excited.. flip should be in just a couple days so the show will really lift off in a few weeks... good to have ya.

--------------

i've gone back down below 99 plants for mental sanity reasons.... it added just a bit too much stress and anxiety to my life for it to be worth it.

that said, the 3kw stadium has more like 35 plants in it now. still 10+ per light, should be good. i got to choose all the healthiest, similarly growing plants.

i'm thinking about using something like this for their final resting places before flip... but i'll make em myself without all the trim. i can pondliner them and add multiple drains to the bottom. hydroton for a couple inches and then all coco.

pid_10133-Mayne-Yorkshire-5ft-Window-Planter-Box--10.jpg

sorry about the shitty HPS photos... i misplaced the shades.

picture.php

picture.php

been running 4kw with no AC, outside temp in the 60s... i think the room size just provides that buffer cause theres only a 800cfm fan with ~30ft of ducting. 80-82f canopy temps.

flipping in a couple days, gotta hack out the blue dream trees a ton and do my final pest prevention sweep.

D

DHF

Hey Bro......I never let my sideways canopies extend further than 5'+/- from top colas to bottom of lowest laterals with single bare bulb coverage , so if by end of stretch when yas drop your bulbs down into the canopy keep that in mind.....and.....

Raisin the top level up a few inches would be contingent upon what I stated above about knowin where shit`s gonna end up once swellage begins , and if yas`re gonna lollipop them bitches anyways then the tops of the bottom rows need ta end up at the very bottoms of the upper levels where the lollipoppin stops.....simple....babyshit right ?......

Not without runnin em dialin em in after repeated runs , but I`ve got faith in your skill set , so make it happen and yas`ll be on your way to serious increased bottom line results.....bet on it......and hey.......

Well drained planter boxes work the same way coco beds do as in awesome once the proper degree of "moistness" is maintained to prevent over or under watering with increased medium volume......so.....

Dial whatchas got and run a few planters as experiments to see how they do before swappin over completely , cuz every different setup has a learning curve guaranteed.....and oh......

Gladta see the rolls of reflectix ready and rarin ta go ...good job......and.....Gotta be something said about sleepin well at night , and if that means droppin yer plant numbers down , then a man`s gotta do what a man`s gotta do.....anyways.....get them reflectix panels hung and get backta work......:moon:.....

Good luck and holler if I can help.....

Peace......DHF......:ying:.....

whatthe215

Veteran
things have been slow with this room as i've been trying to sort out little problems and get all the plants perfectly shaped for flip.

transplanted to 3gal bags with ~2gal of coco from 1gal pots. no hydroton.. i didn't have any extra $$ for it unfortunately.
picture.php

every plant was defoliated and lollipopped yesterday. i did it all at once since it wasn't an issue if they slowed down a bit... just gotta give em 2-3 days to recover before flip. since they were transplanted right before flip i anticipate they'll need water a bit less often which is nice while i dial in the drip system. gotta build that tomorrow....

gonna use saucers for drainage control. i don't ever really try to get runoff.. dripclean has proven itself to me and I'm confident in it's ability to negate the need for runoff.

D

DHF

things have been slow with this room as i've been trying to sort out little problems and get all the plants perfectly shaped for flip.

transplanted to 3gal bags with ~2gal of coco from 1gal pots. no hydroton.. i didn't have any extra $$ for it unfortunately.
View Image

every plant was defoliated and lollipopped yesterday. i did it all at once since it wasn't an issue if they slowed down a bit... just gotta give em 2-3 days to recover before flip. since they were transplanted right before flip i anticipate they'll need water a bit less often which is nice while i dial in the drip system. gotta build that tomorrow....

gonna use saucers for drainage control. i don't ever really try to get runoff.. dripclean has proven itself to me and I'm confident in it's ability to negate the need for runoff.
Dripclean is yo friend....bet on it.....Mr D swears that with lower ppm`s across the board that he don`t need it , but....cheap insurance in my book......anyways......

After recovery they oughta take off so good luck Bro......

Peace....Freds......:ying:.........