What's new

pregnant women and vaping?

Frozenguy

Veteran
It WILL alter your babies development.

The babies brain/central nervous system are developing and are influenced by cannabinoids, especially because we have our own system for it.

The babies endocannabinoid system among others will develop abnormally.

Whats abnormally? Well its just that, different from the "norm".

I know several people whos parents/mom claimed to smoke a little. They are doing fine.
I also know parents who were completely sober during pregnancy and ended up with terrible kids.

With that said, my baby will not have cannabis among other things.
I feel cannabis is an age appropriate substance and I want everything for my baby.

Why risk it?

BTW, Albert Einstein was abnormal, and so was Adolf Hitler.

Last edited:

use

My cousin and his wife recently had a baby. He used a volcano and fills 2 large bags at night. Whenever I was there chilling she would take a couple vapes. The baby came out healthy.

She led a very healthy and responsible pregnancy, and had the baby at home with a midwife.

I don't know if it was something inherited in my conscience, but every time she would take a vape I felt uneasy. But the more I thought about it, just inhaling vapors is nothing like inhaling smoke.

I also believe the overall medicinal values of getting high while your body and mind are going through the toils of pregnancy greatly outweigh the negative psychological connotations of getting high as opposed to it's health risks.

Frozenguy

Veteran
My cousins and his wife recently had a baby. He used a volcano and fills 2 large bags at night. Whenever I was there chilling she would take a couple vapes. The baby came out healthy.

She led a very healthy and responsible pregnancy, and had the baby at home with a midwife.

I don't know if it was something inherited in my conscience, but every time she would take a vape I felt uneasy. But the more I thought about it, just inhaling vapors is nothing like inhaling smoke.

I also believe the overall medicinal values of getting high while your body and mind are going through the toils of pregnancy greatly outweigh the negative psychological connotations of getting high as opposed to it's health risks.

Everything in moderation.

I'm sure even a small glass/few sips of red wine at times throughout your pregnancy wouldn't negatively effect babies, may even help them/mother.

But moderation is a judgment, usually under judged lol.

Keeping moderation in mind is key if doing this.

Think about making a cake.. Or making/building anything. There is a specific design. Some adjustments might work out well, but any substantial divergence from design could result in undesired results.

Miss Blunted

Resident Bongtender
Veteran
Yes for sure, I forgot to add.....using cannabis medically during pregnancy doesn't require (for me at least) much at all. A couple hits is really all it takes to aleviate nausea and stress. Even the recent bout of sciatica I've been dealing with is tolerable with just a couple of hits. Before I was pregnant...a joint to myself multiple times a day was nothing. My intake has decreased to a fraction of that. I don't even desire feeling "high"....I just can't take the nausea day in and day out. It strikes me throughout the whole day. 2 puffs of Soma's Reclining Buddha and 5 minutes is all it takes to be able to move and eat.

I

idoreallytry

my wife has had 3 kids she smoked with mine only once a day before bed becuz she was sick and had trouble slepping at first then once she started smoking at night she was fine,,,my son is healthy as can be,,,he is almost 3 and been sick twice i only saw him throw up a couple times even when he was breast feeding and formula,he is bigger and healthier than a friends 4 year old and is smarter than every kid his age,,and her other kids get sick all the time
i was against her smoking at first but once i seen the change in her, she ate better she slept better she was happier and much healthier,,, and plus if its bad for them then it must be bad for me so i am not against smoking during pregnancy at all,,,but do believe in moderation,,,this might not be the case for everyone but for my wife it was just fine

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
it's widely accepted that the first trimester is the time when the baby is most at risk from excessive drinking/smoking

Miss Blunted

Resident Bongtender
Veteran
Ido...Poopy was not okay with it at first either. But, he also saw that my health was putting his son's health at risk and we did research. He firmly believes, with more experience now....that moderate smoking is not going to hurt us. He loves his baby immensely. He sees how sick and in pain I've been....and he's seen his baby on screen 5 times and heard his strong heart ticking away several times. We're on track to have a healthy boy and he has two smart parents that will give him a great life:) I know your boy has the same:D

amstercal

That was a great post missblunted. I've done a fair bit of research on the subject the female dr who studied in Jamaica is a good one. If memory serves, I believe she's conducting another right now. I looked high and low for actual studies (with results and published in a professional journal, like any legit study would be) that said mj was harmful to the baby. There was only one I found with that "conclusion." I put that in quotes it's because the study acknowledges they did not separate mj from meth or heroin or anything else when determining if it affected some kids. Most of the other "studies" I found, referred back to this one. If someone knows of a valid medical study saying mj alone, not as part of a group with meth or whatever, harms kids, please post a link.

When you talk about what the mom ingests affecting the baby, you have to talk about what passes through the placenta as that is all that actually reaches the baby. A lot of things don't... nature's little way of keeping them safe. There is nothing to suggest mj passes through and studies to suggest it does not.

People become so inappropriately involved around pregnant women. I was on bed rest, as in not allowed to leave my bed at all, for 14 weeks, 3 of them in the hospital, under the care of some of the country's leading perinatalogists. I was given various drugs. Any time I resisted drugs, I was given a lecture about how I need to do what's best for the baby. Why do people think it's ridiculous to have a say in your own care just because you are carrying YOUR child?
Medical policies on various drugs and treatments for children change all the time, like cough syrup. Putting on blinders to all the "helpful" opinions and just looking for the facts, based on real research is the best thing, IMHO, a mom can do for her child. People also forget how crucial the health and well being of the mother is. She's not just an incubator. Her health will be the baby's health.
The parents of any baby need to discuss the facts and decide what works best for them, what they can live with and what they can stand behind later, come what may.

G

Guywithoutajeep

Theres no proof that marijuana use during pregancy is harmful or safe. If my partner was perfectly healthy than she has no excuse to use marijuana while pregnant. I would quit as well to show support. Its 9 months vs. a childs future and I could not gamble with that. It would be too important for me. Honestly, if my partner and I disagreed on this it would be a deal breaker.

Frozenguy

Veteran
When you talk about what the mom ingests affecting the baby, you have to talk about what passes through the placenta as that is all that actually reaches the baby. A lot of things don't... nature's little way of keeping them safe. There is nothing to suggest mj passes through and studies to suggest it does not.
http://www.nejm.org/doi/pdf/10.1056/NEJM196908072810620

Can you please show me the study that states THC does not transfer through the placenta?

I've also read that THC can cause the secretion of estrogen from the placenta to reduce. Drastic reductions in estrogen can cause miscarriages. But so can getting too excited at a car race. I think this is where moderation probably steps back in. Not much (if any) THC will make it to the placenta if not much is smoked.
Smoke a fat joint (or some substantial amount, who knows) and I'm sure there will be more then enough after its gets to your brain, to go other places.

If my future wife's pregnancy was going ok, I would rather just not involve MJ.. But I would rather her use MJ responsibly as a treatment for various pregnancy problems than presc. pills. But if mom is fine, I would rather her not smoke.

Last edited:

Linenoise

Theres no proof that marijuana use during pregancy is harmful or safe. If my partner was perfectly healthy than she has no excuse to use marijuana while pregnant. I would quit as well to show support. Its 9 months vs. a childs future and I could not gamble with that. It would be too important for me. Honestly, if my partner and I disagreed on this it would be a deal breaker.

This.

Okay, if you have a smoke here and there the chances of harming your unborn child are slim. Does that suddenly make it right?

Hell no.

If you can't taper your smoking habits for 9 months then you are either selfish or incapable of self control. People can try to come up with all sorts of bullshit to justify their weakness but when you try to say that you are not putting your child at risk you are lying to yourself and to everyone else.

The first few years of a child's life are more formative than at any other time. This includes the first 9 months. Be a responsible mother and STOP SMOKING while pregnant. If you can't do that than at least be honest about it an say you have no self control, instead of propping up your bad habits on bullshit.

BigSwifty

This.

Okay, if you have a smoke here and there the chances of harming your unborn child are slim. Does that suddenly make it right?

Hell no.

If you can't taper your smoking habits for 9 months then you are either selfish or incapable of self control. People can try to come up with all sorts of bullshit to justify their weakness but when you try to say that you are not putting your child at risk you are lying to yourself and to everyone else.

The first few years of a child's life are more formative than at any other time. This includes the first 9 months. Be a responsible mother and STOP SMOKING while pregnant. If you can't do that than at least be honest about it an say you have no self control, instead of propping up your bad habits on bullshit.

Word. That fact of the matter is that is just extremely selfish!

junior_grower

there are many ( scientific papers) that show a correlation between Cannabis use, and the higher rate of certain psychiatric conditions in adolescents that use during critical periods of development. If cannabis is medically necessary to treat a condition than continue its use with lower doses if possible. If there is no medical reason than it is irresponsible to ingest anything. A good portion of my last year of schooling was spent e realm of pharmaceutical drug development, they are not as safe as consumers are lead to believe they are. Remember the boards that govern drug trails are hired by the same drug company tat developed the drug, and all are private organizations with zero government oversight.

geopolitical

Vladimir Demikhov Fanboy
Veteran
i have done tons of "google research" on the topic. what is your opinions on this topic has anyones wife here vaped during pregnancy? ang again VAPED..not smoked, I think smoking anything during pregnancy is bad but vaping doesnt seem as bad....or is it just me.

Our OB had zero objections to eating or vaping, and was of the opinion that if it made things more pleasant then that was great. This actually came as a bit of a shock to hear for both of us.

whodair

Veteran
pregnant women and vaping?

single moms should use marijuana, while married women should do whatever their husband tells them is allowed...

picture.php