What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Matanuska Thunderfuck lineage

treewizard

I was just curious what the history of this strain is. I've heard that it smells like vomit and completely destroyes you. So whats in it? Who did it come from?

superjoint

the ATF would be the vomit smelling one ..more piney cedar to me but way more vomit smelling then the MVTF clone which is pure candy orange tart smelling and taste..sharp bright orange sweet tarts .. im talking about the clone only cuts as labeled PNW humboldt oregon areas for the last 10 years ..thats the ones im talking about

True MVTF came from the Matunuska Valley in Alaska. Like the famous Chem's, it was the bagseed of some exceptional, Sat dom pot. It's true lineage is unknown. It was shared in certain circles, in the PNW (Cali, Oregon, Washington). The original mom, selfed after being kept a little long, and some beans did hit the streets. Mostly it's a clone only, and alot of the beans floating about are crosses. I got beans from a selfed female, in Oregon back in 1983. The high is electric, very Sat dom, and sneaky to say the least. It's easy to over toke, and if done, the end results, after a vibrating / soaring high, is a hard crash (couchlocked like a moFo). I run it every few years, and have made beans of the offspring, it shows only two phenos. One with flowing buddage (Sat dom), the other with more popcorn style flowing buddage. Both pack similar highs, but the one with popcornish type buds, is a bit more of a Indy, mixed high. Still very up, but less sneaky. The smell is not of vomit. It smells of candy, a sweet mix of floral and sweet tarts. The taste is pleasant, and it will tear you up. I have had buddies puke after toking on it like Snoop Dog, but they never turned it down afterwards. They just treated it with respect, and toked lightly.

GeorgeSmiley

Remembers
Veteran
I got the oregon cut only and it's an amazing growing plant. Not much smell to my nose but fine grower..... can't wait to see the flowers.

Smiley

superjoint

to me the ATF cut is just a Northern lights cross ..the cedar pine aspect with a lil sweet in there. but the MVTF is top notch for sure..the bag smells so good it goes fast..everyone wants it ,stoney,tasty and grows buds all the way down the stems..stacks calyx;s like no other.. then the burning smell is like burning sugars.. smells so tangy and warm

superjoint

yes thats the same cut ..its been around forever ,we use smoke that plant before we even knew it was called mvtf same smell n stuff,,we call it matty now but its labled MVTF..its all over the place now but still cuts thru all the bs when you spark it up... one of my all time favs.. and the backbone to my WTF white thunderfuck.. has the matty smell and power with the extra white frost from the atf clone ..

Malachi

ISP Smoketrain - The story I know is very similiar to yours as far as the lineage and origin of the original ATF. The story that I know was that a bunch of hippies from California moved up to the Matanuska Valley back in the early 80's and brought some seeds with them of California origin. They were looking for a short flowering strain that was potent so they crossed their cali bud to some native Matanuska smoke to shorten the flowering period. Out of the initial cross there was a female that stood out and she was dubbed "Alaskan Thunderfuck" The buds are so dark that they turn almost pure black when fully matured and the smoke is absolutely crippling. Some people think that original genes can be traced back to the juju, a smoke that is almost pure black and is native to parts of Africa. No one knows for sure except the people who bred the initial cross but I guess there was only a few handful of seeds bred and that the original ATF was a clone only strain from the original ATF mom.

GeorgeSmiley

Remembers
Veteran
yes thats the same cut ..its been around forever ,we use smoke that plant before we even knew it was called mvtf same smell n stuff,,we call it matty now but its labled MVTF..its all over the place now but still cuts thru all the bs when you spark it up... one of my all time favs.. and the backbone to my WTF white thunderfuck.. has the matty smell and power with the extra white frost from the atf clone ..

Well this is great then ;) ..... can you say anything as to yield/flowering time?

It's very vigorous and clones quickly. Everything about it says keeper but dunno about yield, potency. flowering etc.

Smiley

Edit, is your White Thunderfuck circulating via cutting or seeds?

superjoint

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

here is the cross i made using Male from ATF Cut
It is ATF x MVTF = WTF White Thunderfuck.. grows the same depth and colas.. Outside it gets 5-7 pound range easy..

P

~pHaNtOm~

got ATF in my clone test cab now..have tried dry meds and its fire. seems i bit stretchy lanky in veg..is this the norm?

GeorgeSmiley

Remembers
Veteran
Yeah, you go to the pic in the gallery and below the pic will be a url for the pic you post that in [*IMG][*/IMG] tags and it will be full size. How does the MVTF yield?

Greyskull

Twice as clear as heaven and twice as loud as reas
ICMag Donor
Veteran
no fucking clue....

no fucking clue....

no idea what makes this lady up
the guy said it was 'matanuskan thunderfuck'

picture.php

she was my first 'clone'. i paid a pretty lil bit for her but what shes brought to my table and laid foundation for are priceless.

i used to have pics of the palmer dollar i got with the plant but i cant find those... ill have to take out the camera & snap a fresh shot of it.

really good yeild. looking back now (especially since i grow varieties like bubba) she yeilds really well. very bushy once you top it 'space invaders' haha stretches about double its start height. good fun plant. killer creeper stone. be ready to eat hahaha

Last edited:

treewizard

Thanks Malachi. Man its frustrating to think that within a couple hours of me, how many people could probably kick me down a cut of this. But no we can't have pot clubs or farmer's markets that sell cuts. What the fuck is wrong with OR and WA that they can't do the Cali thing already? It just sucks that there isn't an easy way to network with other growers around here.

Latest posts

Latest posts