What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How do I get custom plastic parts made?

!!!

Now in technicolor
Veteran
If I have specs for something plastic I'd like created for myself, where/how can I have a company make and send it to me? I'd like to be able to choose the plastic and/or the properties of the plastic.

I know most of these places will have a minimum order of 1000 or so. I'm looking for one that's more for the individual hobbyist rather than geared for ppl doing this commercially.

steppinRazor

cant stop wont stop
Veteran
pretty sure it'd just be cheaper to buy the pocket-pussy..
dont worry i hear they ship in discrete packaging :D

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran

try going to a real hobby shop, ask the clerk or owner if he knows of anyone working in that medium, that might be your best option. another option is have a hobbyist or an artist create your design in clay, then see if you can have it molded in plastic, clay is easy to work with and mistakes are pounded out & reshaped.......

RockyMountainHi

I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with th
Veteran
You need a prototype shop.

First thing is a solid blueprint with sizes and tollerancing

Fax said print to machine shops that offer proto services - they will get you a price back.

sirgrassalot

Domesticator of Cannabis
Veteran
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3d_printing

picture.php

blackone

Veteran
You need a prototype shop.

First thing is a solid blueprint with sizes and tollerancing

Fax said print to machine shops that offer proto services - they will get you a price back.

This was also my first thought. It should be possible to find some small prototype workshop to do this for you.
Speaking tolerances - if you don't know them yourself then just give the shop the parts that need to fit your piece. If they deserve to be in the business then they should be able to make your item like that (at least if they cater to smaller innovators)

Last edited:

cashmunny

You want a stereolithography part made. They build the part up in layers from a special resin that hardens when laser light hits it. So they use a computer controlled laser to shine the light on the resin in a pattern based on the geometry of your part at a particular cross section. A cross section is taken every few thousandths of an inch so the part edges are pretty smooth. You'll need a "part.stl" file generated by a CAD program like CATIA or Solidworks.

It's typically used for visualization prototypes because it's cheaper than machining. But the parts can be used functionally. I wouldn't use it for big parts or a serious load bearing part like an engine mount. But for small parts that are lightly loaded it's the bomb.

Norrath

you can make molds and cast your part by yourself...big hobby store chains sell all the plastics and mold making tools you'd need. Unless you dont trust yourself or the hobbiest-catered supplies bought at the store...