What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Mist's Ebb&Gro with ST#3XBlack Russian grow diary

Mist

Well since this is the first time that I have used the Ebb&Gro system I thought I would document my trials and tribulations with this new (to me) system.
After 10 straight years of DWC I needed something new and exciting, LOL!

This Setup is as follows:

4x8 Darkroom
Ebb&Gro system with 12 sites
600 watt Quantum dimmable ballast with air cooled hood
Sunmaster 600w HPS bulb
Feeding every 3 hours for 30 minutes
Nutrients:
Canna Aqua nutrients
Rhizotonic
Cannazym
PK 13-14
Canna Boost

I do plan on adding another 600w light to this setup when I get it filled will clones and have all 12 sites up and running. Right now there are just 8 sites running with the babies that are just starting on 12/12 to be sexed out. Then I will get rid of the males and revegg the girls so that I can take some cuts from each to make mothers. After that I will flower them out and see which pheno of this strain I want to keep. Then it will just be a mattter of making a mother out of one of that pheno's clones and away we go.
While the selected mother is growing big enough to take cuts I will flower out all the other clones. Simple eh?!
I have done this process over and again through the years, LOL!
And when I have an extablished mother I will do 5-7 runs with her and then take a cutting to start another mother and flower her out.

Well enough of that. Here are some pics of the setup and I will continue to update this thread as things go along.

We are starting on day 1 of flowering. The ones singled out in the pics are my hopefuls for girls>

Mist

Ok, I didn't get all the pictures to post the first time and it won't let me add them in edit mode. So here are the last two>

Mist

Well I already have one girl showing after just 3 days of 12/12!
The Black Russian side of these genetics is really showing through. When I was doing straight black russian before it was a pain sometimes because the mother plants were always trying to go into flower. If the light went off for 30 minutes there were preflowers, LOL!

Anyhow, here is the first girl out of this 8 plant startup run. There are a couple others I hope are girls too because of their look.

Mist

Well there are three(two for sure) females so far and I am not going to revegg anything. I have taken two cuttings off each of two of the females I am sure of and am waiting to see if the third is a female for sure before I take a couple cuttings from her. There are 5 other plants that have not shown any sign of sex yet so who knows with them.
I will have plenty of time to get the cuts rooted and grown up over the next 8 weeks and then I will know who will be the one mother for the next several grows.
I decided not to revegg because it might have freaked out the plants and not shown me what they would really do. And I will also get an idea of what the stretch of this strain will be and know when I need to put them into flower on the next run with clones to get the finishing height that I want.

More pics to come as things develop.

Mist

Mist

So we are 8 days now on 12/12 and there are 4 females out of 8 so far which suits me just fine. The 4 on the right in the pictures are the girls.
The plants have really perked up since I started treating the water for chloramine with Chloramine Buster. It may also be due to me switching them over to Canna nutrients finally.

Mist

Pheno Selection

Pheno Selection

Well it has come time to select phenos out of this bunch of girls who's look meets what I am looking for with this strain. And what I am looking for is compact plants with little stretch and after a couple weeks of 12/12 I think I have found what I am looking for.
I have ended up with 5 females out of the 8 plants so far with one male having been cut down and 2 plants still not giving up their sex yet.

These two girls are really compact and are exhibiting a very indica dominant look. They will be my first choice for mothers from the cuts if they turn out the way I hope they will.

The 3 I am keeping clones from are on the right here. The one on the end is slightly stretchy but has a lot of inner growth and I want to see how she turns out so I did take a coupe cuts from her too.

And there are two lanky girls that are off the list for keepers since they have already trippled in size afer just under 2 weeks of flowering. This is one of them and the other is next to her. I will of course flower out both of them for the bud though, LOL!

Mist

Final sexing toll

Final sexing toll

Well this is turning into a happy grow. The final sexing census is 7 females out of 8 plants from seed. I have had it go the other way around before and also been skunked for females a couple. So this is a really nice way to start back up again.

Mist

Things are moving along good now. I finally got my ventilation system setup. Unfortunately I don't have money falling out of my ass so I had to wait a little to get the carbon filter that I needed. But it is up now and is keeping the tent at a nice 70 degrees since that is the temp the house stays at too. With the 435cfm CAP inline the air changes out every 50 seconds or so.

The plants are all doing well and starting to get troll heads. I have one huge and strrrreeeeeeetttttttccchhhyyyyy pheno that is making me nuts though. The internodal distances on this girl run from 10-14" which is way too much and she is towering over her sisters which is making the light height a pain in the ass. I almost cut her down, but couldn't bring myself to do it. The rest of the girls are all staying at about the same height so I am not too worried about the next grow since they will all be from cuts of those that I have made into mothers.

stretchy girl>

The rest of them>

These are the rooted cuttings that will become mothers. They are in a little bubbler setup that will later become a staging unit for cuttings waiting to go into the tent. I was going to make it an aero unit, but didn't have all the parts so it became a DWC system for now. Money, money, money.....LOL!

Thanks for looking.

Mist

Just a quick update with some pics. It is getting to be like a jungle in the tent with just the 7 plants. I can't wait to have 12 in there! I am adding another 600 watt light this week and that will give alot better coverage. I am still battling with fungus gnats off and on, but I think I found where they were getting into the room in the first place and have that blocked off.

Nice full figured girls

These are the 3 girls I am making mothers from. There are 2 of one pheno and 1 of another and they have stayed at the same height which is a real plus for future grows.

This giant girl had to be restrained so that I could bring the light down to a decent level for the rest of the plants.

And last but certianly not least, the little mothers are really loving life in the bubbler. I will have plenty of cuts taken from them, rooted and vegged by the time the others are harvested.

Mist

Thanks guys! I am enjoying this grow so much after being out of the game for a couple years because my son had moved back home and I was trying to be a good example. The whole time he was smoking weed and skipping school and I was loosing tons of money from not growing. Oh well, he is moved out on his own now. LOL!

Bon.G.Loder

Nice lookin' grow mist! I'm pullin' up a seat, buckets bring me back to my 1st grow and my AquaFarm! Is that a DIY cloner?

Mist

Nice lookin' grow mist! I'm pullin' up a seat, buckets bring me back to my 1st grow and my AquaFarm! Is that a DIY cloner?

No, that is just a little hydro unit that I plan on using as a staging area for rooted clones that will be going into the ebb&gro system. I have a pump with spinner type sprayers on it that will be going in there and they can just hang out and get some good roots going until it is time to go into the flower tent.
I WILL be making a DIY aero cloner with a slightly smaller rubbermaid tub that will have 24 sites. They are just so easy to build that I can't see ever buying one.

still2big

where did you get your black russian? The one i have doesnt try to autoflower at all. Ive had the Nebu and the ones Subcool made...

anyway should be a nice cross....

Bon.G.Loder

Yeah I'm right there with ya Mist. No use spending hard grown money, when a little elbow greese and a good DIY will do! I'll be downsizing the number of site on the cloner also. Not sure how many yet.

Mist

where did you get your black russian? The one i have doesnt try to autoflower at all. Ive had the Nebu and the ones Subcool made...

anyway should be a nice cross....

Yea, I used to grow Nebu's F2 Black Russians (got them as clones)and they were a real pain in the ass to keep in vegg. I tried to keep mothers, but when there was a power outage for a couple days they would just not stop trying to flower so I found one that had the least preflowers and took cuts form her and got them rooted and vegged them on 24 hr light slowly under floros and then every time I put them into the flower room I would take cuts again. Worked for about 6 grows, LOL!
This cross came from an old friend who asked me not to mention his name on any forums. He is just an old friend from CC and OG.

I do have high hopes for this cross though. I have already singled out two phenos and am ditching the ones that did the preflower thing. I am hoping for some purple color too. Just have to wait and see. I can always look for other phenos since I have about 30 more beans.

Mist

Some Bud Shots

Some Bud Shots

Thought I would throw up a couple bud shots to show how they were coming along. There is some wide differences in the budding characteristics of these different phenos. Some have nice buds coming on and a couple others are dragging their asses with several inbetweeners. It is what it is though. I feel confident with the pheno that I have picked for a mother though. The huge stretchy ones are faster at flowering, but they have their faults. I picked one that is only slightly behind the leaders, but doesn't have near the stretch. Nothing to do now but wait, LOL!

At least they are all nice and healthy.

A couple of the whole show.

Latest posts

Latest posts