What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Tomato growers?

nepalnt21

FRRRRRResh!
Veteran
got brandywines, yellow pear, romas, and plain old commercial red ones (not sure what their name is).

cannot wait till the brandywines are ripe!

Jedi

"Madam, Miss Otis regrets, she's unable to lunch t
ICMag Donor
Cherry Toms.....and quite a bit.

Last years plants had a heavy spidermite problem..
so we chucked the lot on the compost dump

when we used the half compested soil for the beddings , tomatoes plants came up.....by the thousands...!!

anyways...busy deviding and rooting some of the long , bunched up shoots

its gonna be huge this year..............

two problems.........powdery mildew and red spidermites(the borg)

HOW DO I FIGHT THOSE TWO...??

thekingofNY

Cannasseur
Our early girl is starting to ripen, however some of the older fruits have like a "scar" on them, for lack of a better word. Its not rotten, but looks scarred. What is this? Are they still edible?

I can get a picture if it helps.

edit: i should mention i looked at the picturs of blyte(sp) and blossom end rot and its not either of those. They are not big scars, maybe 1/2" and very shallow.

Strainbrain

Chairman of the Joint Chiefs
Veteran
Any number of things can scar the skin of a tomato... I became accustomed to not ever seeing a 'perfect' one come out of the back yard... As long as the flesh isn't rotten it's fine; trim the funky bits if you like. (I do.)

Part of the charm of homegrowns. :D

-s

Ipsissimus

thekingofny - think of em as stretch marks, when the tomato grows faster than the skin - high temps & low water cause this.

scarring also comes from perfect temps and great soil....sounds stupid but sometimes when conditions are perfect, the little buggers take off growing so fast that the skin gets stretched....I too have just accustomed myself to never getting that perfect mater.....is anyone having trouble with blite(sp??).....I cant keep teh cages from tumbling over it is so moist here, and now it looks as if I am starting to get black spots.....

another little trick I use, in my tomato garden, I keep every egg shell that my family ever uses...and we use farm fresh eggs so the shell is really thick.....we then crunch them up really good and always put them in the area where our maters grow....since we started doing this about 5 years ago, we have never had blossom end rot in that area of the garden....and the area that is for corn, well a few wild meter plants came up and sure enough they got BER very bad......put alot of calcium in your garden and BER should never come back.

Seed Buyer

Scarring is often caused be irregular watering. For example we run heirlooms in a recirculating top drip system, however heavy rains hit the dutch pots and often cause the scarring. Also excessive heat. But don't worry. Scarring only meas they are no longer marketable...but they are still perfect for your taste buds.

CANNACO-OP

Farmassist
Veteran

More strains than can name. maybe when get some fruit will post some more and descrip, this was month or so ago....
"Mortgage Lifter" hehe.. also Russian Black

lots of heirlooms

W

Weedman Herb

Very nice Cannaco. I got another 1 flower multiple fruit weirdo from the same unknown plant that brought me the Twin ... this time it's a triplet ...

homebrew420

I am growing Mr. Stripey Caspian Pink ad sweet 100. They got a late start but are now covered with fruit. The mr. stripey may be the best tomato I have ever had. We bought the plant with fruit on it. Don't do that. harvested 2 fruits a month ago. WOW. also love that black and purple varieties.

W

Weedman Herb

You're the second Mr Stripey lover who has chimed in. Are they sweet or tart? My lone Mr Stripey Ironically has 1 tomato on it ... It was a late start too.

lmv931

Im currently growing Beef steak tomatoes
icon7.gif

have a question though maybe somone can help me.....

the biggest tomatoes that are on the plant are still very green and are getting to be a decent size but I noticed they are starting to crack from the top down the sides... not all of them just 2-3 of the biggest ones... any ideas on what this is or what I can do? any help is much appreciated.

Strainbrain

Veteran
Well, fellow 'materbaters... the season's finally come to an end here with a hard, hard freeze. The garden's been taken down and all of the green fruits tucked away either on windowsills or in the back of the pantry. I had a late harvest and so much of my ripe fruit has come recently, and all at @$^#$&# once. I had the camera out the other night and a little bit of C99 convinced me to shoot the bounty... so here's what came out of my garden this year:

Amana Orange, Ananas, Arbuznyi:

Aunt Ginny's Purple, Blue Fruit, Brandywine:

Elmer's Old German, Marianna's Peace, Mr. Brown:

Orlov Yellow Giant, Tim's Black Ruffles:

-s

Strainbrain

Veteran
Thanks, pangolin! They are indeed all heirlooms. I'm not going to be growing all of them again next year, but a few are keepers for sure.

Orlov Yellow Giant is probably the blue-ribbon winner of the bunch. Huge plants with huge quantities of huge fruits with huge flavors....

The Ananas are pretty tasty, and that pink blush runs through the pulp and makes for some gorgeous slices.

Tim's Black Ruffles is a winner for sure, small fruits but with great flavor.

The Brandywine (an old-school pink one, specifically 'Sudduth's Strain') and the Marianna's Peace are hard to tell apart, and both excellent.

Mr. Brown really does look like caramel out in the sun. They have the flavor profile of the purple varieties, very tasty.

-s

Strainbrain

Veteran
I had a whole season wiped out by rain 3 years ago... not blight but drowned, rotted-root death. Not a single tomato.

This year was once-in-a-lifetime perfect. Really... I didn't water or feed one single time. I guess I'm back to even-karma as tomatoes go. :smoke:

-s