What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Contact! Seeds in soil for my first run

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
They got a good top watering with some kelp and alfalfa tea (a tbsp of chicken chit for good measure), which moved the runoff back to the reservoir. The EC of the res water was 200-300, so I changed it. Added a couple TBSP of 35% H2O2 to the 10 gal res, and Ph'd it to 6.5.

They seem to be doing OK. Runtz rabbit right rear is the best, Serious bush left rear the most tight. AK47s in front neck and neck, and I don't see differences in the leafs now.

Group shot:
DSC00322.JPG

Runtz rabbit:
DSC00323.JPG

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
Meanwhile, back in the other tent where I have the misfits and midgets, as well as the 2nd run babies... Damn Fungus gnats have moved in. I put 20 million nematodes to work in both tents, as well as the soil I have down in the shed, where they may have come from. Let's hope that the nematodes can thrive in soil down there, and that they will be there when I need the soil for the 2nd run to pot the plants. Got some yellow sticky pads on the way.

Last edited:

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
My favorite tee vee show, called "Plants in the big tent". That little Serious bush in the upper left, just won't do right. One of the midgets that were left behind in the little tent is the same structure. Tight ball of bush. When my replacement light shows up and is working OK, I think I will change to 12/12.

DSC00336.JPG

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
Is all there is to taking clones snipping them off at a node, wrapping the end in a paper towel with some Aloe, and letting them sit for a few days in water? These are still living after a few days!

Runtz baby bunnies: Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC00337.JPG Views:	0 Size:	74.4 KB ID:	17817802

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
Replacement light is installed. I am seeing some of what looks like a K deficiency like f-e has. Only on older fan leaves. I keep the reservoir water Ph at 6.5. Who knows? I wonder if the Ca+ and Mg+ are blocking K from getting a parking spot?

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC00349.JPG Views:	0 Size:	45.1 KB ID:	17819242 Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC00348.JPG Views:	0 Size:	25.6 KB ID:	17819243

It has almost been 2 months, the plants have been dried out twice, yet they live. The three biggest are 16" high. Serious bush, well...oh well. I think the lights flip on the 31st. Hopefully April stretching brings May flowers. I suppose 7AM to 7PM lights on is as good as any.

I have some BAS "build a bloom", and hopefully the K in that stuff will straighten things out. It goes into the water res.

Last edited:

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
The sticky pads are clean in both tents this morning, yipee! So I am wondering how to do the flip transition Now I am 0400 to 2000 ON. I want to change to 0700 to 1900 ON. The only problem is they changed me to a smart meter before all the tent stuff started, and my consumption will be high in the daytime. Blame it on the AC. I'm getting a new dryer and maybe it will be more efficient than the old POS, and I'll run it at night.

Is this the right plan? Tonight they shut off at 1900 and turn on at 0700. I hope they stretch so I can get a SCROG going, and some of the main branches are pretty stiff.

Runtz rabbit (left front) and the AK47s (right side) are 15-16 inches tall. Serious bush (left rear) is 10 1/2" above the soil. Sticky traps are all clean, for now.

DSC00359.JPG

Last edited:
G

Is all there is to taking clones snipping them off at a node, wrapping the end in a paper towel with some Aloe, and letting them sit for a few days in water? These are still living after a few days!

I've never seen it done this way before; curious to see if they sprout roots in the next couple of weeks. I'd just make sure to change out the water every 2-3 days, but I've never tried hydro and it seems sorta like that. Some people use an aero-cloner, while others like me cut the node at a 45-degree angle (to increase the surface area for absorption I believe), dunk it in rooting hormone, then stick it straight into wet dirt (Solo cups for me). I also use the (clean!) razor to gently abrade the part of the stem which will be stuck in the dirt before I dip it in the rooting hormone.

Is this the right plan?

Today 0400 ON 2000 OFF
Flip 0700 ON 1900 OFF which would have been 11 hours darkness going into the transition.

Are you intending for the transition to be the commencement of 12/12 lighting schedule? If so, just do Today 0400 ON 1900 OFF, then don't flip on again until the new schedule 0700.

Looking pretty good, keep on truckin'!

Peace
​​​​​​​DM

miss squirrel

Shut the front door! The man has spent himself out of the hole he spent himself into. I hope his plants do ok!

But, the vendors that put their name out there selling all kinds of complex products have to take the hit. People who throw money at a hobby are your customers. When your stuff doesn't function the first time at 110% efficiency because nobody understands your internal-narrative instructions, then your reputation suffers. It sucks for those of us who know more about the subject, but then I build my own soil so none of this applies to me. When my plants are sick I go back to treating them like a lovely small creature on the doorsill of a kindly English grandmother. I water them from the top when the topsoil feels dry, and give them light. They unfailingly respond unless they are already dead. Money spent: $0.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
Thanks DM! That was your #1 post Ms Squirrel. Welcome to ICMag. You are lucky that you know all about this stuff. As for the soil vendors, they could do a better job educating us neophytes. Redbud has made a bunch of videos that are very informative. I was on the phone today with Larry there for a half hour, talking bugs. Some soil threads here are like college classes. Personally I have always hated studying anything biological / organic chem related. Now I have to. Fuck Latin BTW.

The stuff in that cabinet is all being used. I may have got a little confused and bought two packs of the microbes/fungus (rootwise complete), but otherwise the stuff is nice to have. I am working on making my own compost and worm castings from materials on my property. Stuff takes time... and this growing idea started at the beginning of this year.

I found a bunch of thrips on a sticky card in the small tent. Only one plant (a misfit) , but they all got a good spray with purecrop1.

Edit: Next morning the thrips are gone from the sticky cards in the small tent, but the rabbit has some. None of the other plants in the big tent have anything on the cards. I sprayed the big tent leafs and cover crop with purecrop1. Cut a handful of fan leafs off the rabbit, and they look really healthy.

I wonder if the worms are still alive and doing well? Does anybody ever put worm food in their soil, or are they OK with whatever is there? It will be interesting doing a post grow inspection of these 7 gallon bags after chop

Roots are sure active:

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC00342.JPG Views:	0 Size:	86.3 KB ID:	17820473

There are two AK47s and I can't see much difference between them now. After reading about vermeculite having a high CEC, I think I am going to add about 2" thick of that stuff around the outside of the bag one one of them. I want to see if the roots seek it out, and how that plant does compared to it's sister. There are roots up there that sure wanna try to find the water.

Last edited:

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
They are 18" tall now, except the Serious bush of course. Drinking 2 gallons/day still and the soil is sparking. tops are around 800 umoles, with the lights 24" up at 83% power.

Edit: 4/7- 21" tall now, except SK which is 16". Gave them a big trim..

Group shots:

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC00377.JPG Views:	8 Size:	129.5 KB ID:	17823820 TL: Serious bush, TR AK47, BL: Runtz rabbit, BR: AK47 with added vermeculite on the SWICK bed.

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC00377.JPG Views:	8 Size:	129.5 KB ID:	17823820 How much shorter the Serious bush is back there.

Attachments

• DSC00377.JPG
    DSC00377.JPG
    123.7 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
The CO2 logger is usually around 600 when all three of us are inside, but always at least 450. The air enters the house on my bedroom end, and has to get by this guy to get into the lung room, where the house air is drawn into, and exhausted via the tent fans.

My main CO2 generator, maintaining his usual watchful guard.

DSC00379.JPG

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
I gave the plants a big trim, and found some bugs on the sticky pads - dead! Good job nematodes. Some more wispy tops form and I will put up a 4 x 4 SCROG net. The individual scrogs went out with the bags on the bed, that I need to remove to tend to.

The vermeculite is doing pretty good on top of the perlite bed. The roots seem to seek it, and it blocks the light so green algae can't form on the perlite (not so's you can see it anyways). I am putting a layer on top of all the beds. The high CEC doesn't hurt either.

DSC00384.JPG

Chevy cHaze

Out Of Dankness Cometh Light
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Replacement light is installed. I am seeing some of what looks like a K deficiency like f-e has. Only on older fan leaves. I keep the reservoir water Ph at 6.5. Who knows? I wonder if the Ca+ and Mg+ are blocking K from getting a parking spot?

filedata/fetch?id=17819242&d=1617070097filedata/fetch?id=17819243&d=1617070126

It has almost been 2 months, the plants have been dried out twice, yet they live. The three biggest are 16" high. Serious bush, well...oh well. I think the lights flip on the 31st. Hopefully April stretching brings May flowers. I suppose 7AM to 7PM lights on is as good as any.

I have some BAS "build a bloom", and hopefully the K in that stuff will straighten things out. It goes into the water res.

Hey Hombre,
Did you get these under control? I'm seeing this deficiency everywhere now with the new powerful diodes. My best guess is it's Calcium deficiency. Plants need heaps under those and adding CalMag sorted it (well at least for the newer growth).
Let me know what you find!
Cheers
CC

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
I add a tsp or two of cal-mag to the gallon of top-water. Maybe half that in the SWICK reservoir. I also pH the water to 6.5, and keep it there. I tried using drug store epsom salts, and the plants don't like it, and the reservoir water kicks off the truncheon. I have 3 or 4 different watering schemes going right now, as well as fighting bugs. The plants seem to have grown through that phase in the pics, but there are others. Blotches of different colors, leaves appearing over-watered.

I am keeping the light 24"or more from the tops, and adding cal-mag, and pH. I was adding aloe, but only when roots distress was going on. The soil in the bags on the SWICK are sparking nicely, plants growing like weeds in stretch. The misfits in the little tent have bugs, and the soil isn't sparking. The 2nd run in plastic pots are draining out and sparking well.

I haven't got any of this figured out, just what is keeping my head above water.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
In the big tent the stretch is in full swing. I put up a stretchy net, and already think it will be more trouble than it's worth. It'll give f-e something to laugh at me trying though. I have another of these I will use about 18" or so higher, I think.

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC00389.JPG Views:	0 Size:	123.0 KB ID:	17827397 1 week in flower. The two AK47 on right. Seri0us kush left front, Runtz rabbit left rear. Light 24" up, tops at 725 umoles.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
So, what about the 4 plants that didn't make the big tent? The two misfits have been kicked out, and will have to survive outside somehow. Good luck guys. For now, they adorn my sweet girlfriends dawghouse.

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC00406.JPG Views:	0 Size:	54.7 KB ID:	17829061 Misfits. Strawberry Sundae on left, G x D x OPG on the right.
Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC00406.JPG Views:	0 Size:	54.7 KB ID:	17829061

The midgets got a trim, some training, and are back inside waiting for a friend to get his 2x4 set-up and ready for them.

. Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC00406.JPG Views:	0 Size:	54.7 KB ID:	17829061 Midgets. Serious Kush on left, "?" on the right
Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC00406.JPG Views:	0 Size:	54.7 KB ID:	17829061

Edit: 4/13. three days later and the midgets are in good shape. These are going to a friend for his 2 x 4 tent. I need the room, hopefully within a week.

Attachments

• DSC00408.JPG
    DSC00408.JPG
    59.8 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
The flowering continues in the big tent. I have no idea if they are doing right or wrong, but here they are. I suspect I over-pinched them, except maybe the Serious bush. It was too tight to mess with.

A pic of an easy to reach flower on each of the 4 plants. The taller plants are making flowers along the stem as it stretches, while the Serious bush has a center spot with flower. It may make some nice buds.
Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC00413.JPG Views:	6 Size:	90.6 KB ID:	17831474 Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC00414.JPG Views:	4 Size:	77.2 KB ID:	17831475 Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC00415.JPG Views:	4 Size:	80.6 KB ID:	17831476 Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC00416.JPG Views:	4 Size:	91.1 KB ID:	17831477

Last edited:

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
This is almost 2 weeks @ 12/12. I don't see any trics yet. When should they start appearing?

I still add cal-mag plus (iron also) to pH the water in the reservoir to 6.4, and that stuff is phosphoric acid (P). I have a quart of "Alaska Morbloom" made by Central garden and pet, which is labeled 0-10-10. It says the ingredients are phosphoric acid and "Muriate of potash" (potassium chloride), plus some fish soluables.

I am already using the phosphoric acid, but what about the potasium chloride? Will the chlorine hurt the fungus and critters in the soil? It takes about 1/2 as much of that Morbloom to drop the Ph in a gallon of my tap water that I use. Strange name though, as morbid is my usual plant impact.

This excerpt from a post here (I lost the link and it was from 2016) reinforces my plan of pH the soil up to 7, and the water down in the low 6's. Get the sparking going. Next I will use something besides oyster shell meal

" Water potential plays a key role in a plant's nutrient uptake. If the water potential is more negative within the plant than the surrounding soils, the nutrients will move from the region of higher solute concentration—in the soil—to the area of lower solute concentration - in the plant. "