What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Growing with my cannababies: a (mostly) prop 215/64 compliant story

Mary57

Hi and thank you for the warm welcomes. This is a new user's first attempt at a grow journal. I'm not the greatest writer in the world and we all have PTSD symptoms from prohibitions, so please bear with me or choose a different grow journal. I have several different projects in my low-budget microgrowery, but I cannot work on all of them at the same time until I get my cultivation license or until we have full legalization in my country, The Humboldt Nation, which is still officially part of the US. So today I'm only going to talk about my grandchildren. Here are Stephanie, Sarah, and Sunshine when they were outdoors: https://www.icmag.com/ic/album.php?albumid=85179&pictureid=2107148 I learned how to clone them, so they're indoors now. I believe that they are probably some sort of a bottom shelf OG Kush, but I'm honestly not sure. I needed seeds, I was broke, it was right after Prop64 and the dispensary had a bargain bin eighth for fifteen bucks with the caution "may contain seeds"--it was a match made in a little girl's dreams in the 1970s. Suffice it to say that I am aware of the fact that the first weed everybody grows is the best weed everybody has ever smoked up to that point. I'm sure you thought your first grow was pretty awesome too. My harvest included a fascination with the genetic diversity of cannabis, an awareness of how different phenos can be, and four cannababies, three of which are girls and one of which was Stephanie. Stephanie was my major producer this year, although she was not as resistant to bud rot as Sarah and not as appropriate for wake 'n bake as the aptly named Sunshine. I might well have chosen to breed her with her brother, but life had other plans. The first sinsemilla I ever grew was the best sinsemilla I ever smoked but no decisions were necessary. The rest of this grow journal will be about F3, my "great-grandchildren", who came from about a half an ounce of seeded weed I got from a Stephanie clone. I have no idea what my neighbour was growing. Let's find out!

Mary57

New life for a new year

New life for a new year

Happy new year to you too! :D

I had 100% germination from the three little speckled seeds I pulled from a bud I was smoking.

The little bean I soaked and put in a dark closet popped on a matter of hours. I thought I'd killed the little gal who just got the KISS treatment, but she came along just fine, it just took her a little bit longer.

This is my first "Great-Granddaughter", who I named after my best friend, Faith:

picture.php

I'm using a Fuji Finepix S700 and dusting off some very rusty photography skills, so please bear with me or choose a different grow journal.

It's a bit more complicated that using a smartphone, so this is what she looked like two days ago. I'll try to get better with the updates with practice.

Since this year's theme seems to be friends (last year's was the "S" girls), the other two are Diamond and Dog.

They say that Diamond's are a girl's best friend and Dog is a man's. ;)

I'm close enough to a dispensary that could do all of this baby-making for me, but my doctor says that Prop64 does not overwrite Prop215 and he thinks that raising babies is good for me. He's my doctor, so what he says goes.

More regs coming soon.

Mary57

The kids got potted up today. I didn't see any roots coming out of the rapid rooters yet, but their stems were kind of long. Here are the other two babies,
Diamond:

picture.php

and Dog:

picture.php

picture.php

So far they seem nice and healthy.

Mary57

I seem to be very lucky this year.

All three great-grandchildren are still with us and are just as cute and healthy as they can be:

picture.php

Mary57

Afterthought Autos was kind enough to send me a few seeds to test out in my microgrow.

thank%20you.gif
jump.gif

My babies are currently at the mercy of the US Postal system and should be here shortly after MLK day. I'm new to autos and will be busy studying up and preparing for them.

The current plan is to start one seed at a time a week or so apart in Rapid Rooters under a T5 flourescent. It looks like the Rapid Rooter will fit right into a 4" or 6" Gro-Dan Groblox, which will buy us enough time in the nursery area that they can go straight to extra-tall five gallon pots in a veg area near a window or maybe even finish up outdoors.

Rain is more of an issue than cold, so I might be able to rig up some sort of a small hoophouse or DIY shelter for them. If so, this will be the beginnings of my third outdoor grow and if not, this is a continuation of my first successful indoor microgrow.

My plants are part of my family unit. We have been sheltering in place together, along with our animals, since March 13 of 2020 in order to protect me from a human-specific disease. The cannababies are my "emotional support houseplants" as well as an affordable source of necessary medication.

Mary57

I'm worried about Dog today.

picture.php

Realistically, I might have overwatered her a bit. She doesn't look that bad. I probably wouldn't be concerned at all if I wasn't comparing her to her siblings:

picture.php

and she has always been the smallest, now that I look back, and I have ALWAYS had one who is "different" when I plant these seeds. Hopefully Dog will be fine; it's not the 1970s any more and I can just hop over to the appropriate forum for some expert advice.

picture.php

Maybe she just has "floppy ears". i.e., just a variation on normal appearance or a temporary reaction to overwatering?

It still makes me nervous to know that I will be entrusted with one or two seeds or strains that are being gifted to me or that are otherwise difficult to acquire.

I'm glad I started planting early this year. I'm also glad I found IC and hope I don't get so excited and/or worried about the new babies that I screw up in the forum manners department.

Mary57

Doggie is still here.

picture.php

She's a bit overwatered again in this picture and everyone is a bit neglected because of that thing that happens while you're making other plans.

I veg them for a long time, so it's no big deal. They're pets and ESAs, not some sort of a job. This is just bagseed .

I'm still trying to wrap my mind around the fact that I actually lived this long. I failed miserably at everything I ever really wanted to do, but you don't always get to go out in a big blaze of glory and it takes so long to die.

So this is the family I have. These are my great-grandchildren. And my doctor says that no actor is going to throw my kids into the chipper because he is my doctor and he won't let him.

Faith isn't like a mustard seed at all. I repotted her today and I know I need to top "her", root and flip the clone, and start LST. I just want to enjoy her as she is right now, though.

picture.php

Her namesake has been going through some stuff. So Have I. We're old.

And a kiss on the hand may be quite continental but

picture.php

is doing quite well, so I need to get a better picture of her next time, and maybe create some space for photography because these backgrounds make it look like I'm raising my kids in some sort of a hoarder's den or something, lol.

My Sativa seeds are here from Seedsman, but still no sign of my Autos. I'm unclear on whether they are coming from the US or UK. It takes a long time to get mail into Humboldt. That's just the price you pay for living in paradise. We've got a big storm coming up and my girls have all been neglected because of some human stuff.

I'll clean up a bit tomorrow and see what I can do about a better photo shoot soon. It's not rocket science, and I'd like to contribute something to the community. I can just geek out here pretty much forever, soaking up knowledge like a sponge, because that's what I do.

This is my family now. It doesn't matter what anybody thinks or says or does, it just is. This is the only family I have and my doctor says that no actor who plays himself on TV is going to throw my babies in the chipper because he is my doctor and he won't let him.

Mary57

Jobs, Hobbies, and Families

Jobs, Hobbies, and Families

This is my daughter, Pizookies:

picture.php

Of course she's a daughter so she does all of that daughter stuff just fine. Of course Pizookies is a top shelf Sativa dominant hybrid, of course it costs $50 or more an eighth at the dispensary, and of course it's been discontinued so I can't get another clone if I don't take care of this one.

picture.php

But none of that matters any more. I liked to get high when I was a kid, but that's got nothing to do with anything. My endocannibinal system is all fucked up and my doctor knows how to fix it. I'm poor, so I have to translate doctorese into reality.

This is what the doctor actually ordered:

picture.php

It is a Key Lime Pie cultivar of GSC because that was what the dispensary had. It doesn't matter that there wasn't even a Blue Button on what isn't even really a phone, much less that there isn't concierge service in Humboldt, or that I call her "Keely" for short. It is growing as fast as it can. I still don't have my meds yet because I have to veg a bit longer, flip, wait, trim, wait, dry, wait, cure, and wait.

So please choose another grow journal if you can't stand the way this one is written.

Of course she's a daughter and of course I love her. I would NEVER starve my children, that's not who I am. I love my daughters, I just didn't understand.

I'm a mom, we're all stoners here, and there's nothing to be embarassed about. I'm not upset because I don't have enough weed, I'm upset because a Mars Hydro or a Spiderfarm IS a good light to me.

Yes, I just grabbed some cheap AliBaba LEDs like they told me to do on Reddit. I accepted the facts that my yields wouldn't be all that great and that my head stash wouldn't have much bag appeal, but the people on Reddit didn't understand me any more than I understood them.

I'm not upset because my daughters aren't daughtering me daughtery enough, I'm pissed off at myself because I was STARVING them:

s-l300.jpg

and no amount if laughing and telling yourselves that you can't fix stupid is going to change the fact that you already did:

s-l300.jpg

But it's my job to do my job and I wasn't doing my job.

So I've got to go to the dollar store and get some cheap lightbulbs now. Writing is a fun hobby and so are gardening and photography.

But my doctor wants things he can't have to fix broken soldiers in a war I'm not going to win. Money exists, in spite of somebody's damned war, or he'd carry me to somewhere safer before he had to go because that's what doctors do.

But it's my doctor's job to be a doctor so he has to do his job. It's my part-time job to grow my own meds so I need to do my job.

It's job time. Hobby time is later, but now it's job time. I may never get high again. I don't get a tolerance break. I got old and I got sick and now I'm on life support just like everybody else. We ALL had hopes and dreams and plans for the future that didn't work out.

Stephanie is just doing her job. She's right there in the veg area and right there in the clone area. It's her job to be ripped limb from limb, trimmed with a pair of manicure scissors, stuffed into my bong, and set on fire. Stephanie and I are just doing our jobs.

Mary57

Faithie and Diamond are spending the night here tonight:
picture.php

Because I have other kids. That's okay. Pizookies needs me to run to the store to get her some lightbulbs for dinner, and I am the mother of:

picture.php

so I get one chance, ONE chance, to give this little Jack Herer Fast an awesome life.

There's no way in hell I'm going to fuck that up over some dumb hobby.

Mary57

This is my bud tent now:

picture.php

I have other children, but that's okay.

picture.php

I have always longed for Oblivion.
picture.php

picture.php

What they did not do to bury us, but they forgot that we were seeds.

Mary57

Family Felony

Family Felony

All three of these ladies needed to be flushed today:

picture.php

From Left to Right: Afghani, "Sunshine", and Skunk #1

Stephanie, of course, is fine:

picture.php

I did a little bit of lollipopping and gave her some CalMag, Molasses,and a tad of Grow Big, since she doesn't have any white hairs yet.

Faithie had her surgery two days ago:

picture.php

and the clone is nice and healthy.

So did Diamond:
picture.php

As we wait for Oblivion.

picture.php

Last edited:

Mary57

Oh, wow!!!

Oh, wow!!!

So a lot has happened in a short time.

I reread the terms of service, began to rethink the magnitude of being a member of this community. I can be redundant and boring so that's something I'm going to be working on.

The Afterthought Autos will continue their story over here: https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=379995

But I like this little grow diary. I wasn't expecting this much help with settling in when I joined. I probably don't even NEED an account, I just like having one. :D

bThe seedlings are all fine. Doggie turned out to be this year's gnome, which is kind of puzzling. I love growing out my bagseedlings. Every year, I get one gnome and every year I plant fewer of them.

I'll edit this later and put in a picture of Doggie when she gets bigger and I'm more comfortable with my rickety old DSLR; it's a Canon EOS so well worth the hassle.,

The funny thing is that Sunshine, last year's gnome, is still alive in the bud tent and on the clone shelf, but she isn't a gnome any more.

I just had to defoliate my skunkweed for literally the first time since I've been growing exclusively indoors. I flipped her on December 5, but her buds are ALREADY the fattest and juiciest I've ever seen. I never got a carbon filter because I never much worried about the smell before.

So what I basically did was grow a bunch of weed under three $30 panel LEDs that were each drawing an actual 45 watts. I didn't expect great yields so I didn't notice that I was torturing my kids because cannabis is.....well, we didn't just call it "weed" to fool our parents, apparently.

When I upgraded the tent by adding three 7-way splitters with dollar store LED lightbulbs, that was nine actual watts for each lightbulb which is 62 actual watts per splitter and one hundred eight-six actual watts.

Since this is a diary instead of a real story, we need to subtract the nine watts for the one defective plug in one of the 7-way splitters now.

One hundred seventy-seven actual watts isn't very much. I haven't gotten my electric bill yet and there are other splitters in my veg area, but I am very impressed by how much difference a very small cash outlay has made.

My diary says that I finished the light upgrade less than a week ago. The skunkweed is almost done, so I didn't expect it to be affected at all.

I thought "weed" was a self-deprecating comment. Maybe I need to take my space limitations a bit more seriously???

Maybe I'm done and it's time to start the tomatoes and lettuce now???

Tune in next time for our next exciting adventure.

:thank you:

Thank you for reading my grow diary to the bitter end---if I get to edit this entry and add some pictures later, of course.

Or maybe not just because. ;)

:artist:

Last edited:

Mary57

Genetic Diversity

Genetic Diversity

This is kind of amazing, but here are my great-grandchildren today:

Doggie seems healthy enough for a pet. Faithie is looking a bit peaked, so I gave her some extra nitrogen, but Diamond is practically indistinguishable from the clones in the veg tent who were taken about a month before I planted the seeds.

Here are the clones:

who have stretched quite a bit, even though it's too early to sex them yet. You can see that Diamond is a darker green and seems to be more vigorous.

I'm not sure how ethical it is to just let this play itself out. Most of what I've found on the surface about ethical plant breeding seems to have to do with not ripping off other breeders, whether it is for seeds, pollen, or ideas. I wouldn't want to breed dogs for their cuteness and then find out that I had doomed them to a lifetime of poor health.

I don't think my plant friends are disposable either, even though I'm not sure whether this diversity is consistent with theory A, which is that somehow some pollen from my male survived long enough to impregnate his whole- or half-sister, or theory B, which is that the pollen came from a neighbour's grow.

I don't think I'm going to Journal about the Jack Herer hybrids from Seedsman, because they're nothing special to anyone who isn't me:

but I thought it was interesting how the Jack Herer Fast has the tiny, short stem that seems to be a characteristic of the seedlings of the original Jack Herer strain, but I can really see the Indica in the Black Jack since she "just looks like a seedling" to me. They were planted within days of each other.

And yea, it is kind of cool to order a single seed and wind up with a nice, healthy little baby like this. :D

Mary57

I just pulled three seeds out of Sunshine. I know for a fact that she never went outside and that I don't have a male, so somebody must have hermied.

That makes more sense than either theory A or theory B, but I am still concerned about the health of Faith and Dog and the ethics of planting more of these seeds.

I wish I had a local friend I could just ask; what is this bottom-shelf strain I've been growing for three years now after picking some seeds out of a fifteen dollar eighth at the dispensary? I completely forget, but it seems as if our DNA is intertwined by now. I would be more than happy to pay what it's worth for a healthy seed or cutting if I just knew what it was.

But on the bright side, I just finished harvesting Pizookies and she may have been small, but she certainly was a heavy producer. I'm going to have to take good care of her, since she's been discontinued so I can't get more seeds.

The electric bill wasn't that much of a shocker and I'm inching closer and closer to getting a full ounce out of my plants as the ones who got the benefit of the dollar store lightbulbs and 7-way-splitters towards the end finish drying and get weighed as I jar them up.

Not bad for a newbie's first successful indoor grow.

blynx

WALSTIB
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Starting new seeds is always fun cuz you'll never know what you'll get.
Thanks for sharing your diary with us.

Mary57

More fun with hermies: my Strawberry Banana may or may not have already taken care of that inbreeding issue for me; maybe Diamond will be big sister or an aunt.

It may not be as romantic or dramatic as theory A or theory B, but it is kind of a relief to accept the distinct possibility that nobody is mad at me because I didn't ruin anybody's grow by accidentally "pollen chucking" in a residential neighbourhood.

It was a dumb idea to live in Humboldt for all these years without growing my own, but everybody has dumb ideas sometimes.

Mary57

Schroedinger's Grow Tent aka Darwin's Grab Bag: adventures in consemilla

Schroedinger's Grow Tent aka Darwin's Grab Bag: adventures in consemilla

Apparently, I got very lazy about a light leak. One woman's desperate attempt to survive long enough to pass along her family heritage has temporarily set me back along the path to better health.

Could be worse.

The greatest tragedy of the old is to have no young to love, no babies to dote on, nobody to pass along hard-earned knowledge, no future to go on cheerfully without one.

It's too early to tell for sure, but Diamond is starting to look like a dude. If so, I guess my 2' X 4' is now the sex tent.

I'm not sure if my autos will go through puberty in time, but they're regs too.

It should be interesting. I've got plenty of ganja to smoke and the fresh, green leaves seem to be kicking in a bit. I've smoked consemilla almost exclusively for most of my life, so a safely contained indoor off-season outcross is hardly the end of the world.

I figure the stork should arrive by the end of April or the beginning of May.

Mary57

Chicken Wire Cloches and Autos

Chicken Wire Cloches and Autos

My autos exist. I'm probably too verbose to put this post on their journal, which is over here:

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=379995

but it helps to organize my thoughts when I write them down and somebody else might benefit from reading them.

I'm using rockwool to postpone potting them up for a few days while I figure out the details, but I have two absolutely fantastic super-tall five gallon pots for them.

It feels weird and wrong to put such tiny seedlings into five gallon pots, so if I don't get past the "ick" factor this year, I'm only going to get even more set in my ways and less likely to give autos a fair try next year. Giving up is not an option. These seedlings are sensitive souls and to be bluntly honest, I already lost some Oblivions, I just don't want to talk about it.

At least I didn't lose them to the cat. The current cannabis kitty is still a silly adolescent. She seems too good to be true, but I'm not risking my autos, especially since this is a test grow and I haven't "paid for" them yet with photography and writing.

Ergo chicken wire cloches! It's not surprising that I'm not that original; there are instructions on line, so I'll put the finished builds on the journal but probably hit the hardware store for supplies today or tomorrow. I'm hoping to get some sort of clear plastic to wrap around the chicken wire so I can bring them outside when they're ready, and maybe four of the bigger photos as well.

It felt kind of crazy going the dollar store lightbulb route instead of investing in a good Ceramic Metal Hallide lamp for the bud/sex tent, but now I'm really grateful for my Tinker Toy style grow. Since I'm going for sustainable and continuous, here is my current wish list:

4 x 4 veg tent---I probably already have enough lighting for it, so I would just need fans. Ideally, I'd want two inlines but also a LOT of air circulation to strengthen the stems. I have problems with that indoors, but especially with Strawberry Banana.

2 X 2 tent---I need one for isolation anyway. It could be used for auto seedlings if it was empty and the veg tent was full.

My doctor is absolutely right about the text of California Senate Bill 420, but letting it all hang out with a "Covid-19 quarantine houseplant grow" is probably not wise for the long term, much as I love living with my houseplants.

Even with dollar store lightbulbs, it can't be good for my or my animals' eyes. The veg tents can be lame and DIY because light leaks won't be an issue, but definitely need to be planned with the autos in mind.