What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Need your input, advice!

Fitzera

So I've got something going on with about half my plants. Some to a higher degree, some just showing a bit. But I need to nip this in the bud before it gets worse.

I'm using a variation of dank.franks recipe, minus a couple things that I dont have. The items I did not use were high N guano, dry molasses, aragonite and crab meal. This is also recycled soil and was mixed with 1/3 new perlite in addition to the perlite still in the mix. Cooked for 6 weeks prior to use.

RO water going in at 6.0ph and 0.02ppm. Let them dry to the point the top 2 inches is dry, then adding water. Running under a ts3000 at 100% on the driver. Humidity is 72-76% and temperature is 24-26C with plenty of air movement.

20210208_125104.jpg
20210208_125122.jpg
20210208_125134.jpg
20210208_125147.jpg
20210208_125158.jpg

I'm leaning towards potassium and or magnesium but I'd really appreciate your opinions.

Options I have considered are:
Top dressing with actisol (chicken manure very similar to symphony).
Top dressing with kelp meal.
Top dress with ewc.
Water in Epsom salts.
Something else?

Cactus Wes

The lights. They don't look bad, just back the lighting off slightly or let it ride if it's not getting worse. I have a plant that did that on a couple of top leafs only, cause it went from 250wHID in veg to "5700w" LED in flower.
Also, your plants look well fed.

Fitzera

The lights. They don't look bad, just back the lighting off slightly or let it ride if it's not getting worse. I have a plant that did that on a couple of top leafs only, cause it went from 250wHID in veg to "5700w" LED in flower.
Also, your plants look well fed.

Thank you. I had wondered if it was the light but I assumed with the height I had it set at it would be less of an issue. This is my first time using it as the veg light, prior grows were with a blurple...so that makes alot of sense. I appreciate it! I'll turn it town to 75% and see how things progress. It does seem like it's getting worse over the last few days.

Fitzera

i would say low potassium levels
good luck with it hope you turn it around

Thanks man. I was out of the house all day today so tomorrow I'm going to try foliar magnesium on one and see what happens. I'll go from there, I dont want to be chasing my tail. The thing is, I have potassium sulphate, greensand and other things in this mix. So either the light is giving me issues, or I've got the ratio fucked up and locked some things out. If only these girls could talk to me verbally

Cactus Wes

The fan leaves on your plants aren't reaching off the plants, you have tight inter nodal spacing, and quite a few plants I see. A couple of plants exhibiting the same symptoms on roughly the same areas of each plant. From the info and pictures that's how I came to the conclusion that it was the light. The burns look like potassium, yes, but how would you have grown them, organically, this far and only affected the top few leaves just now. It looks like they have been growing in a light rich environment.
I have to admit this is something I am guilty of. Even at a lesser extent, before the light damage; too much light can have a negative impact on yield.
Those marshydro lights are sexy, if I had one it would be big and I would have that sucker cranked to 100 too, but it's actually not necessary and counter productive if it's to close. I'm growing with cobs at the moment and at manufacturer's suggested height they fry plants. For my fixture I've been getting the canopy to grow up into the set distance instead of adjusting the light height to the canopy's height.
Cheers

TanzanianMagic

Veteran
This is magnesium deficiency/lockout.

00:05 seconds in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvg-VzGHfQU

compared to

https://www.icmag.com/ic/attachment.php?attachmentid=558660&d=1612814417

I would be worried about the seaweed/kelp. It can contain a lot of sodium. The best way to apply any organic matter is after it has been decomposed to some extent.

That is why it important to compost supersoil first. Many say 2 months - the longer the better - however decomposition can be sped up by making a Kombucha from (cane or raw 10% of a bottle's volume) sugar, water and plant parts/whatever you want to feed to the plant (20%).

DiverDave

The thing about mixing for super soil, leaving out a couple parts kinda defeats the process.
Everyone learns that mix needs perlite & vermiculite as well as a dozen other things.
Most forget or eliminate the natural N it gets when it breaks down in 3 to 5 months when it's needed.
If you follow dank.fran recipe, stick with everything he said to put in.
Watch his grows, he got the skill :dance013:

As for your photos, not easy to see, but from side you see the tips and edges are pointing up, light stress.
I seen this when I switched to the Mars FC 6500
and cranked it down to 60% for a few days, they are looking nice now.
at lights out today I bumped it to 70% for tomorrows lights on.

Looking good, will sit in this thread to see the out come ;)

DD

:plant grow:

Fitzera

This is magnesium deficiency/lockout.

00:05 seconds in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvg-VzGHfQU

compared to

https://www.icmag.com/ic/attachment.php?attachmentid=558660&d=1612814417

I would be worried about the seaweed/kelp. It can contain a lot of sodium. The best way to apply any organic matter is after it has been decomposed to some extent.

That is why it important to compost supersoil first. Many say 2 months - the longer the better - however decomposition can be sped up by making a Kombucha from (cane or raw 10% of a bottle's volume) sugar, water and plant parts/whatever you want to feed to the plant (20%).

I hear you loud and clear. I havent kept track but this mix was left to cook for at least 6 weeks but it might have been longer. Roughly the same amount of time I've given my last couple mixes. It was no longer giving off the heat that it did initially when I began using it. But its a very different mix for me, prior mixes I guessed using a cheap store bought soil test to get a rough idea of where the soil was at, and then mixed up a top dress and used it at the beginning of flower. Results were decent before but I think I'm just trying too hard this time. Need to take a step back.

The thing about mixing for super soil, leaving out a couple parts kinda defeats the process.
Everyone learns that mix needs perlite & vermiculite as well as a dozen other things.
Most forget or eliminate the natural N it gets when it breaks down in 3 to 5 months when it's needed.
If you follow dank.fran recipe, stick with everything he said to put in.
Watch his grows, he got the skill :dance013:

As for your photos, not easy to see, but from side you see the tips and edges are pointing up, light stress.
I seen this when I switched to the Mars FC 6500
and cranked it down to 60% for a few days, they are looking nice now.
at lights out today I bumped it to 70% for tomorrows lights on.

Looking good, will sit in this thread to see the out come ;)

DD

:plant grow:

!!! His grows are the exact reason I was drawn to his mix. I thought about mixing a couple things at a higher ratio to compensate for what I couldn't source locally but my knowledge isn't there yet to know what/how much extra. I'm seriously considering sending off a sample to get tested professionally, but for such a small grow for personal doesnt seem economical. It's not like I'm growing for patients or sales where it's much more important.

The fan leaves on your plants aren't reaching off the plants, you have tight inter nodal spacing, and quite a few plants I see. A couple of plants exhibiting the same symptoms on roughly the same areas of each plant. From the info and pictures that's how I came to the conclusion that it was the light. The burns look like potassium, yes, but how would you have grown them, organically, this far and only affected the top few leaves just now. It looks like they have been growing in a light rich environment.
I have to admit this is something I am guilty of. Even at a lesser extent, before the light damage; too much light can have a negative impact on yield.
Those marshydro lights are sexy, if I had one it would be big and I would have that sucker cranked to 100 too, but it's actually not necessary and counter productive if it's to close. I'm growing with cobs at the moment and at manufacturer's suggested height they fry plants. For my fixture I've been getting the canopy to grow up into the set distance instead of adjusting the light height to the canopy's height.
Cheers

I'm going to get an idea of the lux in different areas and heights today, little bit more information to help guide me. I'm a very analytical person, so I need as much information as I can get to make choices, but not so much so that I can't make quick choices when needed.
The plants are actually looking noticeably better today already with the light turned down so im hoping this is the turning point.

I really appreciate all your guys' input and thoughts! Seriously! Thank you all!

Fitzera

I had an ahah moment....the males that ive segregated are under a cob in a seperate space...same soil...no deficiencies!

Latest posts

Latest posts