What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Preserving St. Vincent genetics

romanoweed

you mean he not always telling real Lineage? Have to look it up.
Atleast in this Case its all ok,since the name purple haze suggests it coud be any sativaleaning Hybrid.
Didnt know that one, thanks.

Felice

Girls, girls, girls....

Girls, girls, girls....

Hi guys,

it doesn't look too good, some of the plants already show white pistils, but now balls visible anywhere... :shucks:

I will observe during this week, hopefully there is still a boy showing up somewhere.

Otherwise I will stop here, consider which strain is worthy to use as male pollen donor and restart at a later point in time (have enough of these seeds).
Right now I do not have suiting pollen / male plants at hand, and I do not want to proceed with a pure female(hermaphrodite) line.

Have a nice week,
Felice

romanoweed

that happens with tropical Lines, very low malecount. So, i would next Time grow atleast 15 Plants out till you see Sex. Its quiet normal to have only 1 of 10 Male , or 1 to 15 Males.

Felice

I have 18 plants currently... Started with 30.
I will give it a few more days until sex is visible on all, there's still a chance ;-)

Felice

Final update

Final update

Hi guys,

long story short, this run of the St. Vincent project will end here.
All plants are female, so the hermie seeds are, as expected (but not hoped) feminized.

27-feb-212vmjhs.jpg

27-feb-213zgkp2.jpg

The structure of most plants is very columnar, with long internodal gaps and a big stretch. The biggest plant grew to 43cm within 4 weeks.

27-feb-211rdjgt.jpg

The plants grew in 3 main phenotypes, but even the wide leaf ones had a very sativa like stretch, just thicker stems then the others. Here the most typical leaf types of the 3 phenos:

27-feb-21490jgk.jpg

When cutting them today I did a final stem rub, most plants smell very lemon, some skunky. Also I saw that a lot of them have a hollow stem, just 6 out of the remaining 18 had a solid stem structure.

27-feb-21projectstopahgkye.png

This run is over, but I will restart the project once I have decided which other Sativa genetics I want to use as a male counterpart.
Overall, I am not too disappointed by this outcome, I learned already quite something about this line, which surely will come handy for the 2nd try.

Now off to the next project :)

Thanks for joining fellas, have a nice weekend!

Felice

therevverend

Veteran
Nice job documenting your run. Disappointing but not unexpected. It's obviously a hybrid line, probably not anything extremely rare. Fairly typical of modern Caribbean hybrids but grown properly it would be potent with pleasant effects. Lemony and skunky type strains are great, it's something I gravitate towards as a breeder. Certainly worth trying again if you can deal with the intersex problems.

romanoweed

i think its rather an old line. With alot of fire. As much fire to not think of Hybridisation really. hahah
OF COURSE just think, not claim

How you can know it was Hybredized by look?

3rd-3yed

Veteran
i think its rather an old line. With alot of fire. As much fire to not think of Hybridisation really. hahah
OF COURSE just think, not claim

How you can know it was Hybredized by look?

I don't think so, it's pretty obvious just by checking the leaves wideness that it's was polluted by modern genetics.

By the way maybe get also your eyes checked if one day you plan to "preserve" some NLD lines, as the view is one of the greatest tool to first make a judgement on the authenticity of any cultivar, old or new.

The "Vincy" should have a look much closer to other Caribbeans lines like the Jamaican Lambsbread documented here, i.e really thin leaves. Otherwise try to find those old South Indians pictured last century to get an accurate idea...

Felice

@therevverend:
Thanks for your kind words. Exactly as you say, a bit disappointing but not unexpected. I might share when I restart this project again, probably under a different name and sub-forum though.....

@romano:
thanks for tagging a long, I also feel the fire in it - be it a hybrid or not! ;-)

@3rd-3yed:
I will be more careful with semantics next time, apparently the word "landrace" and "preserving" triggers some people here quite strongly.

I never claimed this being some kind of academical approach to a definite pure landrace, I simply told my story, how I got the seeds and what I am trying to do with it.
Might it be valuable to the real landrace hunters? Apparently not, but that's okay, I am growing for myself, and for for the joy and positivity that these plants give me.

Next time I will call this thread better: Playing around with some seeds from St. Vincent, and put it in a different sub-forum. Here in this one every word seems to be taken very seriously from some users (that have probably not read the starting post).

Anyways fellas, happy Sunday and happy growing!

romanoweed

i judge: it is like an old Line, and how would be your trippyness Rating?

Is it like oldschool uplifting tripweed?

Or is it there more like a hybrid "confusion" in the Flash as i love to call it. Does it feel like has a great "directivity" of a Landrace? This one Thing gooing on four the whole Time? Like a Landrace would doo?

In my oppinion Wide Leaves are a very uncompleete way to judge a Flash of a Plant.
I use something more, and it tells me this Line is way better than JamaicanBluemountain Cannabiogen with its roundabout "thinner" Leaves.

Have you prooven thin leaves is only way to judge Authenticity trough a smoke Test? I dont wanna claim it, but i say this one has fire. And is way more interesting than any 2010 JamaicanBluemountain.

Cause it appers oldschool .

romanoweed

Hey, and i may do things i doo seriously, but i dont wanna tell you what to doo. Do what you want with it.

I just blablaed what i had to blabala, and it is, that: A: this Line has old vibe: B: youre loosing that Thing that defines it, that nearly spiritual experience so easily by selecting even a slight bit thowards the fat leaves. What you gain in therms of Floweringtime/is equal to what you loose kind of. One Week less means one Facette of Bliss less.. Possibly same with hermies. If youre line shows so many Hermies, the heightened attractivity of growing pure bud compared to Hermie bud is equal to how you downgraded vigor by heavy selection.
I mean this is overally said, for all Peoples Taste. You may have high priority that its seedless Bud, so the Compromiss might be beneficial for you to make.

But i think you might miss that something(vigor) (uplifting effect) the day you reached your goal partly.. Even you like the Result better (overally said). But it does not go undetected pretty often. And you may miss that little Detail, that slight upbreeze, that something. Even you you find it overall more cool result.

Also you cant really go back once you breed thowards it (i mean you can reintroduce unselected open poll.). So, if you want the same feel again, you cant select thowards one single direction. You might not be able to hold vigor upright when deherming UNLESS youre absolute professional Breeder, I mean like Godbreeder.

I see the Vigor im convinced. Look at how straight the Leaves are, no fuzzy , no Wavy shapes, no pale green color, but a deep Fresh Apple Green , like it would be illustrated in a Advertisement. Kitchy.
Thats what you might loose .. And my Tips are Way to not loose it, and its FULLY your thing, do whatever you like, your plant your Taste. Just know, you cant go back.

And know what to watch for: Spiritual side /uphigh . Vigorous Look.

Felice

Hey Romano!

i judge: it is like an old Line, and how would be your trippyness Rating?

Is it like oldschool uplifting tripweed?

Or is it there more like a hybrid "confusion" in the Flash as i love to call it. Does it feel like has a great "directivity" of a Landrace? This one Thing gooing on four the whole Time? Like a Landrace would doo?

In my oppinion Wide Leaves are a very uncompleete way to judge a Flash of a Plant.
I use something more, and it tells me this Line is way better than JamaicanBluemountain Cannabiogen with its roundabout "thinner" Leaves.

Have you prooven thin leaves is only way to judge Authenticity trough a smoke Test? I dont wanna claim it, but i say this one has fire. And is way more interesting than any 2010 JamaicanBluemountain.

Cause it appers oldschool .

Smoking it was quite a while ago, but it was very different to everything that I have smoked so far, as I describe in my intitial post in this thread.
It was highly psychactive and stimulating, and did not let me sleep. Still even though almost overwhelmingly strong (prone to paranoia), it was clear somehow and not confusing / debilitating. Therefore I have my difficulties rating it in terms of trippyness - psychedelic definitely yes, trippy, as so clear and functional, probably not. But I guess that depends on definition and personal perception.

My only experience with landraces was Thai-stick, which I tried in Amsterdam around 12 years ago. That was definitely very trippy, but also much more dense in effect and much less clear. It was like a movie, my friends and me stumbling across the city not really getting anything. After come down we also barely remembered what happened in the previous hours. The Caribbean was definitely very different, much much clearer.

Hey, and i may do things i doo seriously, but i dont wanna tell you what to doo. Do what you want with it.

I just blablaed what i had to blabala, and it is, that: A: this Line has old vibe: B: youre loosing that Thing that defines it, that nearly spiritual experience so easily by selecting even a slight bit thowards the fat leaves. What you gain in therms of Floweringtime/is equal to what you loose kind of. One Week less means one Facette of Bliss less.. Possibly same with hermies. If youre line shows so many Hermies, the heightened attractivity of growing pure bud compared to Hermie bud is equal to how you downgraded vigor by heavy selection.
I mean this is overally said, for all Peoples Taste. You may have high priority that its seedless Bud, so the Compromiss might be beneficial for you to make.

But i think you might miss that something(vigor) (uplifting effect) the day you reached your goal partly.. Even you like the Result better (overally said). But it does not go undetected pretty often. And you may miss that little Detail, that slight upbreeze, that something. Even you you find it overall more cool result.

Also you cant really go back once you breed thowards it (i mean you can reintroduce unselected open poll.). So, if you want the same feel again, you cant select thowards one single direction. You might not be able to hold vigor upright when deherming UNLESS youre absolute professional Breeder, I mean like Godbreeder.

I see the Vigor im convinced. Look at how straight the Leaves are, no fuzzy , no Wavy shapes, no pale green color, but a deep Fresh Apple Green , like it would be illustrated in a Advertisement. Kitchy.
Thats what you might loose .. And my Tips are Way to not loose it, and its FULLY your thing, do whatever you like, your plant your Taste. Just know, you cant go back.

And know what to watch for: Spiritual side /uphigh . Vigorous Look.

I was not planning to select towards flowering time or a specific leaf type. I just wanted to recreate the Caribbean vibes from back then. Given my personal growing limitations I simply cannot work with hermies, at it would harm all my other projects - which FOR ME is not worth it.

I will definitely get back to this line, and will, as we have already discussed, do so by introducing some male central/south american Sativa. First I need to gain some experience on these type of plants to decide which one comes close and might be a good fit.

About this line, and your points of not going for the WLD plants: Interestingly the wide leaf ones, that initially were rather squat, displayed the highest stretch and biggest internodal gaps from week 3 onwards. They were almost all among the tallest plants now, when culling them.

Also, who says that the weed that I smoked in the Caribbean was a NLD plant? It was dry bud, I definitely couldn't say from what type of plant this bud came from :wave:

When I restart I will give ALL plant types a chance, except the very hermie ones, for the just mentioned reasons ;-)

Cheers
Felice

romanoweed

I didnt say it was caribean . Atleast was never the Point. My point was that it is looks like an old Line from the 80s (very vaguely said, just its pretty oldschhool)

And that it looks like it has an old Vibe , meanin its not confusing, and with a directivity that only a propper Landrace can have.

I also believe you the leaves are thick when starting/ and thin when finishing.
I seen this a lot.

At first the Leaves are so fat and one starts to doubt: did i mixup Seeds.. later they get thinner thowards the end of Flowering, and while its about Harvest Day, the Leaves from botton to top seem like to shrink even more, so at Harvest Day, it looks like fullon Thinleaved.. hahah

MAHA KALA

atomizing haze essence
Veteran
Smoking it was quite a while ago, but it was very different to everything that I have smoked so far, as I describe in my intitial post in this thread.
It was highly psychactive and stimulating, and did not let me sleep. Still even though almost overwhelmingly strong (prone to paranoia), it was clear somehow and not confusing / debilitating. Therefore I have my difficulties rating it in terms of trippyness - psychedelic definitely yes, trippy, as so clear and functional, probably not. But I guess that depends on definition and personal perception.

Cheers
Felice

great description and great thread. you have some jewel. sounds to me like old school trippy weed! I like hash from hahsplants, but for weed I would grab this :D enjoy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Tou8-Cz8is

Plookerkingjon

Hello everyone,

Already posted a question in the ACE seeds sub-area, but I guess this is a better “real” first post ?

I would like to let you participate in my little project here, trying to preserve a Caribbean landrace, supposedly from the island of St. Vincent.

Some story around:
Years back I was on vacation with my parents, brother and girlfriend on an island called Bequia. A small place, almost nothing happens here, somewhere in the Caribbean. At the beach I met a very kind man, laidback vibes, that had this great spicy smelling sativa bud “growing in the mountains of St. Vincent”, as he said. The high was very strong, psychoactive but still very clear somehow. Completely different to all that I was used to (grew some strains over the years, but mostly outdoors central Europe, so not too much experience with tropical sativas yet). This time was the first and only time I actually smoked with my father. He still keeps telling his friends about this evening “…and suddenly I saw everything clear, as clear as never…” ahah :-D

Anyways, the weed was seeded so I took home around 10 seeds. Having moved to Southern Europe in the meantime, I was quite active in balcony growing.

Only 2 seeds popped, but grew with incredible vigor, I had to cut them over and over again to keep them at bay, but in the end, I decided to just keep 1 (both seemed female at that point - lots of airy leafy buds). I think they did not like the excessive topping, and the remaining plant started showing more and more bananas. I tried to take them, but as the plant did not seem to finish anyways, I might have lost motivation… – and harvested a handful of seeds just before Christmas.

Now, I somehow got ambitious to get into breeding, and wanted to start this by trying to create a stable landrace seed line out of these hermie seeds. I know the chances are not great, but I also see it as an opportunity to test my new indoor equipment before I get on with other breeding projects.

Anyways, on 21/01/21 I put 35 seeds to germinate, and on 24/01/21 another 10 seeds
By 27/01/21 I had 30 sprouts in individual 0.25l containers under 11/13 LED sun. Probably I would get a few more sprouts if waited some days longer, but 30 I decided was a good batch to start with, and space-wise anyways the maximum.

Day 4 (30/01/21) – inventory: seems like 3 phenotypes: 13x lanky and thin leaves; 14x medium and thin l.; 3x robust and wide leaves; overall most plants with green stem, some with darker reddish stem. See first picture.

30-jan-21-d4oek2k.jpg

Day 11 (06/02/21) – 1st update: separated the plants by 4 types, but the more I think about it, I guess #3 and #4 are probably the same phenotype:

06-feb-21-d1149njsx.jpg

06-feb-21-d1112wk7g.jpg

- 3x #1 most indica structure, wide leaves: 1x dark stem, 2x thicker stem
- 4x #2 medium indica-sativa structure: 2x dark stem, 1x thicker stem
- 11x #3 sativa structure: 3x dark stem, 2x thicker stem
- 12x #4 most sativa structure: 3x dark stem, 1x thicker stem

06-feb-21-d112l9j1a.jpg

06-feb-21-d113l0jmv.jpg

The coloration of stems and leave shape and also thickness of stem seems to be relatively unrelated. There are more dark stems being thicker as greens, but e.g. the only “very thick stem” marker for now is on a fully green plant. Anyways, it’s just the start, I’m sure differences will become more apparent in the coming weeks.

I plan to keep them in the small pots as long as possible, c. 2 more weeks I guess, then do a first pre-selection, put the remaining 16-20 plants in bigger (still small) pots and hope to be able to find some sexually stable plants around week 5-6.

If all seem female I know what’s up… Then this report will end there. Fingers crossed ?

Have a nice Sunday,
Felice
Lets watch this awesome project

IndicaFarmer

Girls, girls, girls....

Girls, girls, girls....

Hi guys,

it doesn't look too good, some of the plants already show white pistils, but now balls visible anywhere... :shucks:

I will observe during this week, hopefully there is still a boy showing up somewhere.

Otherwise I will stop here, consider which strain is worthy to use as male pollen donor and restart at a later point in time (have enough of these seeds).
Right now I do not have suiting pollen / male plants at hand, and I do not want to proceed with a pure female(hermaphrodite) line.

Have a nice week,
Felice
Next time maybe you could reverse a couple of the females?

Wolverine97

Veteran
Hey Romano!

My only experience with landraces was Thai-stick, which I tried in Amsterdam around 12 years ago. That was definitely very trippy, but also much more dense in effect and much less clear. It was like a movie, my friends and me stumbling across the city not really getting anything. After come down we also barely remembered what happened in the previous hours. The Caribbean was definitely very different, much much clearer.

I was not planning to select towards flowering time or a specific leaf type. I just wanted to recreate the Caribbean vibes from back then. Given my personal growing limitations I simply cannot work with hermies, at it would harm all my other projects - which FOR ME is not worth it.

I will definitely get back to this line, and will, as we have already discussed, do so by introducing some male central/south american Sativa. First I need to gain some experience on these type of plants to decide which one comes close and might be a good fit.

About this line, and your points of not going for the WLD plants: Interestingly the wide leaf ones, that initially were rather squat, displayed the highest stretch and biggest internodal gaps from week 3 onwards. They were almost all among the tallest plants now, when culling them.

Also, who says that the weed that I smoked in the Caribbean was a NLD plant? It was dry bud, I definitely couldn't say from what type of plant this bud came from :wave:

When I restart I will give ALL plant types a chance, except the very hermie ones, for the just mentioned reasons ;-)

Cheers
Felice
Those were not real "Thai Stick" in Amsterdam 12 years ago man. There haven't been any real Thai Stick available since the 70's, maybe early 80's but even that's a huge stretch.