What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Potassium def, or...???

ButterflyEffect

I found out I had iron bacteria because of the orange stains I get in the shower and toilet bowl if I don't wash them regularly. Even more evidence was the fact that the faucet filter had an orange slime in it. Thats when I looked it up on the internet and found out about it. Also I noticed an oil film floating on top of the water in my reservoir after repeated use of my RO filter. You should have seen the carbon filter when I replaced it. It was SO orange/redish that it actually stained the inside of the plastic filter holing tubes. It also stained the 2 membrane filters. Anyways Its deffinatly iron bactaria and I read an article somewhere where it mentionned that it can dehydrate plant leaves.

Looks like between the Iron bacteria and less than ideal fertigation, you've likely found your answers.

little-soldier

Maybe but besides that article which I cannot find anymore, I can't find anywhere on the internet which mentions that it can cause issues with plants. Everywhere I go it says its harmless. Also that article came from a website which sells water filtration systems so it could have been a scare tactic to sell more filtration systems.

ButterflyEffect

Maybe but besides that article which I cannot find anymore, I can't find anywhere on the internet which mentions that it can cause issues with plants. Everywhere I go it says its harmless. Also that article came from a website which sells water filtration systems so it could have been a scare tactic to sell more filtration systems.

Same here. I have it in my house(not the grow as it uses rain water exclusively) and there are a ton of places selling hype wrt to water. Big business.

I'm not sure what you have going on. It's definitely something, maybe not the iron, but something quantifiable. Gonna be hard to know until you can knowingly remove any given variable.

As you research iron bacteria removal, you'll see that chlorine (either dosed occasionally or continuously injected) are the promary methods of elimination. It wouldn't hurt to have additional filters to back it that up either. If I were you, I'd put an RO system at the end of it all filling up a decent size pressure tank.