What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Magic Mushroom Grow Kit?

BudToaster

Veteran
really like the Gosund 3-outlet WiFi power strips. but ... now i need to upgrade my WiFi signal - outlets are on the extreme opposite corner from WiFi - 2 floors down - steel frame house - hard to maintain the connection to the Apple App. switched my tablet to WiFi 5GHz, and spouse tablet to hardwire - that solved the immediate problem. i think i still need the signal amplifier. so, another $20 for the shroom project. YMMV

being able to squirt a minute of humid air any time i want is simply amazing. App has a countdown timer in addition to schedules, per outlet

Chi13

ICMag Donor
If it's allowed can someone tell me where they bought their B+ and why is it called B+?
I think I got my B+ from Sporeworks? I found it to more a body trip than some others but have only grown a few strains.

I made my own spore print and plan to grow it again.

Frosty Nuggets

ICMag Donor
+1 for B+ from Sporeworks.:good:

I read on another forum that mushrooms need O2 not CO2 to fruit so venting the tub is essential.:shucks:

Tudo

Troublemaker
ICMag Donor
Veteran
How difficult are they to grow?

How difficult are they to grow?

How difficult are they to grow? Do I need any kind of a set up? What would you recommend and how long should it take to get mushrooms that...hmm, that would actually work from a visual standpoint? How many would it take?
I've only done mushrooms a couple of times and so for the past 65 years I've, well not 65, say 50 years I've been a supporter of lsd and my very 1st trip was on orange sunshine back in the 60's.

Thank you

G

How difficult are they to grow? Do I need any kind of a set up? What would you recommend and how long should it take to get mushrooms that...hmm, that would actually work from a visual standpoint? How many would it take?
I've only done mushrooms a couple of times and so for the past 65 years I've, well not 65, say 50 years I've been a supporter of lsd and my very 1st trip was on orange sunshine back in the 60's.

Thank you

Your 'shrooms most vulnerable time is from initial inoculation, to when the 'cakes' or medium are almost covered.

If your work area (including above the working area, table surface, etc.), jars, medium, and spore syringes are clean, and you don't run amok with too much moisture or too little moisture, then they're pretty easy.

Psilocybin mushrooms are not all the same potency, and, as is the case with cannabis, though a bit different, I suspect you can screw them up to where you might not get the maximum benefit form your variety.

But they're pretty easy, and relatively low cost to produce, too.

There are many approaches to growing fungus; look on line for something called PF Tech, or PF Tek.. It's an older mushroom how-to guide, though I've mixed and matched different approaches over time. (PF Tech, as in 'Psilocybe Fanaticus').

I clean my table work surface, and surrounding vertical areas with bleach water, spray above the area with Lysol or similar spray, including the lamp shades over the work area), my jars, tools, etc., are all sterilized before being loaded with medium, then pressure cooked with the organic brown rice flour, vermiculite, and minor amount of lime, and proper amount of water.

I let the jars of medium cool before inoculating them, and before I get serious about that phase, I take a freshly cleaned t-shirt rag and a bandana. I spray both with bleach water in/from a spray bottle, place the bandana over my head, like a doo rag, then tie the t-shirt around my head, covering my face; everything but my glasses/eyes. That way there's minimal lint/dander from my hair, body, scalp, and I'm not breathing contaminants on my work.

If you see any colors other than pure, snow-white mycelium in your growing fungus on your cakes, they are likely defunct.

There are molds that can grow in mushroom medium that can, at a minimum, make a person sick. For that reason, I NEVER let someone else consume mushrooms from a tub or aquarium that I haven't personally eaten them from.

If I make me sick, I'm an idiot. If I make someone else sick, then it's potentially multiple charges onto my pending arrest, and I might have someone looking for me with unfriendly intentions.

Despite what you have seen drawn as mushrooms, or even nice big mushrooms in someone's terrarium/mushroom chamber, the fact remains that the MOST potent psilocybin 'shrooms, gram for gram, are those that have barely formed a little pin-type reddish dot, but haven't opened up yet.

You don't want the 'shrooms to get big. They are pretty that way, but ideally you want to let them mature no more than the veil joining the stem and the edge of the cap to just barely approach breaching..

If you were to scrape a couple grams of mycelium from the inoculated cakes, looking nothing like a mushroom, and more like snow-white mold, gram for gram, it will get you WAY higher than if you ate several mature mushrooms from the same strain or box.

And mushroom growing kits are not required... at all. Some spore syringes, a couple 10-gallon aquariums, a cool-mist sonic mist vaporizer, some method of timing the mist into the 2 aquariums to keep the air damp, but not soaking wet, a battery acid syringe to draw the water from the bottom of your aquariums/terrariums, a bit of Lexan, to create an angular shield for the water to atomize against of you opt for a manual spray method for moisture in the 'shroom chambers., and maybe a few other items.

Without writing an Encyclopedia re. a lay-person's perspective on mushroom cultivation, that ought to give you a good idea. The various write-ups on-line re. growing 'shrooms ought to get you the rest of the way down the road.

Having done LOTS of acid over the years, starting in 1972, it's my opinion that acid is often way more intense than mushrooms, about 2 x's the duration for the trip, time-wise (typically), and both are best done with limited content in your belly. -However-, mushrooms, while not as prone to causing nausea as peyote or Hawaiian Baby Wood Rose Seeds, 'shrooms CAN, sometimes, cause a bit of upset tummy.

:tiphat:

BudToaster

Veteran
How difficult are they to grow? Do I need any kind of a set up? What would you recommend and how long should it take to get mushrooms that...hmm, that would actually work

just to sample the waters, without learning a lot of tek - which is useful for big or long term effort, you can buy what you need to get past the setup part (getting grain, sterilizing, etc.):

humidity dome & tank, LED light, heat pad, hydrator with HEPA, 3 outlet timer (for LED, heat pad, hydrator pump), 5# manure substrate = $87

10cc syringe @ $15
quart Rye jar @ $15

one month to colonize jar, 2 weeks to colonize substrate, 2 weeks for first flush.

veil just broke on a dozen, took my first harvest, air drying now.

BudToaster

Veteran
could have cut them all yesterday ... by this morning, all the remaining shrooms had dropped veil or damn close. still a lot of baby shrooms just peeking up from the mycelium - next flush, i guess.

for harvest technique, i just used a single edge razor blade to slice the base of the stem just above the mycelium - i tried twist+turn+pull, but that pulls/disturbs the mycelium too much???

B+ tub is starting to sprout shrooms - half the time of Tub1, not enough CO2 during substrate colonizing??

BudToaster

Veteran
first trimming of the Blue Meanie dried to 8.2g, the final trimming yesterday looks to be about 4 times this amount - in the drying box now. the B+ popped up quite a few shrooms over night (wish the Jamaica sativa flowered this fast, instead of 14 weeks). doing 5 minutes of misting every 6 hours - seems about right for this tub.

BudToaster

Veteran
thank-you ... first flush of Blue Meanie is 28g dried - tried 2.5g today on empty stomach, interesting ride. no gnomes yet. not yet ready for a "committed" dose (5g). i keep trying to make every high like THC - safe and secure - long way to go.

i have a concern about the B+ monotub ... lots of mushrooms popped up last night, some looked weird, and there is a quarter size blue spot in the tub. contamination??? so, currently researching to see if i need to dump this tub and start the next jar. will check it tomorrow to see what changes before dumping. i harvested the open veil shrooms and trashed a few gray and bumpy stem shrooms - most looked okay. the mycelium didn't fully colonize before shrooms popped up, so it might be less resistant to contams?

G

thank-you ... first flush of Blue Meanie is 28g dried - tried 2.5g today on empty stomach, interesting ride. no gnomes yet. not yet ready for a "committed" dose (5g). i keep trying to make every high like THC - safe and secure - long way to go.

i have a concern about the B+ monotub ... lots of mushrooms popped up last night, some looked weird, and there is a quarter size blue spot in the tub. contamination??? so, currently researching to see if i need to dump this tub and start the next jar. will check it tomorrow to see what changes before dumping. i harvested the open veil shrooms and trashed a few gray and bumpy stem shrooms - most looked okay. the mycelium didn't fully colonize before shrooms popped up, so it might be less resistant to contams?

I usually haven't 'birthed' my cakes until they have been fully colonized.

I also often use an X-Acto blade that has been dipped in 99.9% isopropyl alcohol to sterilize it, then air dried for a couple minutes, then I use that to carefully remove the stems as close to the medium as possible, without disturbing too much of the cakes.

Also, when looking for mold and nasties, DON'T just look at the mushrooms; look also at the growing medium. You can get molds in the medium that can travel IN the mycelium & medium.

**BTW, let us know how they do...

BudToaster

Veteran
thanks ... i'm hoping this is the case. i dug the spot out this morning and it is only on the surface , so it could be bruising.

one thing, the B+ is fruiting differently from the Blue Meanie - the shrooms are smaller, and they drop the veil almost immediately with appearing. there is also a ring of spots on the cap, about 1/2 way down from the tippy top of the shroom - only on a few. i saw this somewhere in my research - will try to find it again.

Chevy cHaze

Out Of Dankness Cometh Light
ICMag Donor
Veteran
BT, that's exactly how my b+ were too. They didn't grow tall, but dropped the veil super quickly after emerging... at a max height of I'd say 2"-4"/5-10cm.
CC

shithawk420

Veteran
What do you guys mean when you say flush? Like flushing weed? I gotta admit I got a lot to learn about mushrooms

BudToaster

Veteran
a flush is a crop of shrooms. the mycelium likes to sprout all at once, the shrooms pop up in just a few days, then the mycelium rests, rejuvenates and sends up another crop.

when exposed to oxygen and light, the mycelium thinks it has hit the outside of the cow pie and want to spread the spores, hence the flush of shrooms.

usually there are 3 flushes before the substrate is spent ... at least that's what i read. details to follow.

EsterEssence

Veteran
I usually only did two flushes, by the time the third flush comes, the tubs were more susceptible to contamination, I would have another set of tubs colonized ready to move under the lights...

BudToaster

Veteran
well, the extracted blue spot didn't spread in the tub, so i tried 0.5g B+ this morning ... looking to find a proper microdose, very very minor shift in perception so far ... at least i didn't die, yet.

G

well, the extracted blue spot didn't spread in the tub, so i tried 0.5g B+ this morning ... looking to find a proper microdose, very very minor shift in perception so far ... at least i didn't die, yet.

Blacks, pastels and reddish colors are the nasties you're looking to trace down, where undesirable toxins are concerned.

Blue-ish purple upon gruff treatment of the stem or cap is little more than a quick field test to ascertain whether or not you have the proper specimen to feed your head.