What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

trifolate polyploid or mutant?

clearheaded

eh guys,

never seen this before my sense it is just a mutation.

1 node it tossed out trifolate and lower aux branches split in half forming 2 new meristems. kinda how if u topped however it is not topped and can see how it comes together seamless stem like a snakes tongue. dummy i am i went and topped everything not thinking i wanted to see how it would evolve.

toss out the odd extra small leaf aswell.

interesting mutation would be cool to have a bush like plant more or less auto fiming.

MrMMJ

That would have been cool to see grown out, too bad it got tossed ! Mutations are interesting indeed. I've got a seedling going now that is 6 nodes tall, about 10"in height. It is still putting out symmetrical branching, but instead of two opposing branches at each node, there are three perfectly spaced, like a triangle, around the main stem at every node ! Waiting to see what it does as it matures to asymmetrical spacing. I've got 23 of this ones brothers/sisters that all look normal.

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
3 s are quite common, I ran a few threads on them when I was breeding for them, I took my old gallery down though under orders from the old admin.
Plenty of info in here
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=53476
I've lost others, maybe uploaded new photos with the same number after replacing an old camera.

picture.php

4s and 5s are less common.
picture.php

picture.php

clearheaded

its random however. and do these true trifolates put out snake tongue stems? ie split in half. why i am leaning towards just a mutant. ill post some pics soon.

stem grows normal 3 for nodes then just splits not damaged or topped. the stem appears fatter and then halves. if could breed for it would be pretty nice extra bushy plants with no pruning.

How do you know ?

Because I've been breeding northern vietnamese specimens for over a decade, I have both polyploids and triploids. if you want to learn more about polyplodism check out Billy Budd, granted he just passed away this year his work is pretty on point.

Triploids are a bit more uniform, polyploids usually have a bit more deformity.

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
I know about it, I'm just wondering how you are identifying a specific plant as being diploid, triploid or tetraploid without a lab.
Clearly its something that many have speculated on in my line but I dismiss it in mine.

I know about it, I'm just wondering how you are identifying a specific plant as being diploid, triploid or tetraploid without a lab.
Clearly its something that many have speculated on in my line but I dismiss it in mine.

Its not as difficult as you think, there are charts out there (google) that show differences in chromesomes. I never said I didnt have a lab :tiphat:

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
Ah , yeah my mistake, I just assume most don't have labs. I know I don't. So you stain the chromos and check with a scope, cool. I tried checking for sizes and numbers of breathing holes in the leaves, but that's no good. I'd love access to someone else's lab never mind my own.

blazeoneup

The Helpful One
Chat Moderator
Veteran
Here is one just after the self topping.

Strain is Babu from CSI Humboldt.

picture.php

This is her after some veg time
picture.php

In flower
picture.php

picture.php

NIKT

Triploids are a bit more uniform, polyploids usually have a bit more deformity.

Whatever. Triploids have very limited fertility. Very low. Trifolate is the development problem. which is possibly recessive => inheritance with not full expresion and penetration. Quite often with some lines or varieties. Inherited I think to some extent, but it is probably not easy to get a breed that would have something like this in all seedlings. this is an ordinary diploode

In the past, there were a lot of literature reports about polyploidy very uncertain, now there are data. From reduced fertility which is normal at odd n multiples of the genome. To the real effects of polyploidization, which turned out to be rather not worth fighting for.

In the experiment, a variety with a similar cannabinoid content was obtained. It is known why, for example, GW pharma only tested triploids with limited fertility, and did not use polylioid clones as production clones. It's just not worth it.

clovers are not triploids, they are probably just recessive, usually something called incomplete penetration and expressiveness. When it is not possible to get plants that have 100%, despite, for example, selfing of the pieces that had it.

Polyploid fertility is somewhat restricted and often produce some offspring with a variable number of chormosomes. Disturbance of division. At 3n 5n ect, numbers n are generally infertile.
Or with a very limited fertility close to 0.
polyploid, impaired fertility, and slightly different cleavages tertasomic inheritance. Reduction in the number of phenotypes.

in another language

https://forum.haszysz.com/threads/ho...oidalna.18553/

translation :

As a consequence, gametes with different numbers of chromosomes and with various modifications of their morphology are formed. This leads to a weakening of their functionality and ultimately reduces the fertility of the triploids. It can therefore be concluded that triploids are cytogenetically unstable.

Finally, the cannabis experimental results explain a lot, among other things, why they were not used in the broader slake in the GW pharma breeding program.

all of this is of course and available in English, even easier.
theme with book clippings

https://forum.haszysz.com/threads/br...uticals.20345/

fertility of triploids
gw_pharma_grow_hodowla085.jpg

I don't know why it keeps coming up, everybody's talking about triploidy. It has nothing to do with it. Tripliodal cannabis closely resembles the diploid forms and the only significant difference between the dilploid forms is the almost complete sterility due to an uneven number of chromosomes. Externally, they will not differ too much from the diploid forms. The idea of ​​producing F1 varieties in this form appeared in order to make it almost impossible to process F2 and use them in further breeding. They also enable the creation of unusual chemotes with a CBD / THC ratio that differs from, for example, around 50/50% by multiplying a copy of the THCA synthase allele. And other .. But the binding of triploidy to clovers ?? painful if you type it in google, this complete nonsense still appears in the search results.

https://forum.haszysz.com/threads/br...uticals.20345/

the most advanced breeding program ?? . Also with QLT mapping. It is not known how much was disclosed and published. Now, when the breeding is coming out of the underground, you can expect that there will be more of it.

Old as the world. Nothing new, the use of breeding techniques that are standard for other plants. From selfing through selection of clones to obtaining high-yielding F1 varieties.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts