What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

indoor grow (soil) help !! whitefly

buzzmobile

Veteran
The yellow sticky traps function as an early warning device. They won't help control an infestation.

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
I agree with you buzzmoble yellow stickies are good for early warning device. When a plant has a infestation like white flies there is a cause.

Here are a couple causes; Plants that are suffering from stress, especially water stress, are naturally more susceptible to whitefly infestations.

Excessive use of nitrogen fertilizers leads to a higher concentration of nitrogen in plant tissues. This makes plants more attractive to whitefly and may be the reason for your frequent re-infestations.

Try mulching with a reflective mulch fabric. "Highly Reflective Mylar". Reflective fabrics are confusing to whiteflies, and they tend to leave those plants alone.

buzzmobile

Veteran
This stuff here...View Image
I use it for thrips and white flies but like I said, spray just the leaves and follow the instructions on the label.I think its 7 ml per pint.

Spinosad is very effective against thrips; not so effective on adult white flies. There are studies that indicate applying spinosad to root zone is effective against the crawler stage of white flies. Consider using a drench to kill nymphs/crawlers. Read the label that lists pests that spinosad controls. White flies are not listed. A simple soap spray is much more effective at killing adults, but you have to make direct contact with the soap spray to kill them.

Captain Jack's Label Directions

If you want to try predator insects, Encarsia formosa were more effective than Delphastus catalinae. The wasps were better at control than the beetles.

axle2u

I still have a white fly problem, some of the leaves, are somewhat a little burnt and distorted looking from the previous 2 different sprays, "safe for plants"...horse shit

im using the yellow strips, and they are working....slowly
I need another method, safe for the plants....

next I will try just an oil/soap/water mixture only
and try it on just 1 plant ....see what that does....

hayday

Veteran
Spinosad has never done any damage to my plants. Sorry if my advice caused you any troubles but its always done well by me or I would not have reccomended it.
I hope you find your solution...

axle2u

Spinosad has never done any damage to my plants. Sorry if my advice caused you any troubles but its always done well by me or I would not have reccomended it.
I hope you find your solution...

hey hayday, it was not your recommendation, that has caused damage, it was, store bought safe for plants premixed solution(s)

what im saying is "safe for plants" is a line of horse shit....lol
got nothing to do with your input/suggestions....

where can one find spinosad ?

-axle

axle2u

anybody eles, got a remedy, or advise to battle ongoing whitenfly situation
indoor grow, in cabinet...??

thanks,

there might be more options....lol
awh...I hate whitefly....

-axle

moses wellfleet

Veteran
I use horticultural oil at 1/4 the recommended dose it still kills. Pyrol by Neudorff was the one I used, try get that or something similar. At that dose, 5ml per liter it doesn’t even turn pistils brown. Whitefly absolutely hate it they will be history in your garden.

Make sure you spray twice a week for the next couple weeks to get any larvae that may hatch from eggs. Shout if you need more info!

Last edited:

buzzmobile

Veteran
Whiteflies are tough to eliminate. The key is thorough and consistent coverage of all leaf surfaces, especially the undersides of leaves. It takes more than an occasional spraying to rid the grow room of whiteflies. Do what moses wellfleet suggests.

Spray 'em in the eyes. They hate that.
:biggrin:

buzzmobile

Veteran
On a less than industrial scale;), I use Yellow Duo Tang folders from any office supply store. Plastic folders hold up better than paper. Cut the folders into sections.

attachment.php

Tree Tanglefoot is sticky stuff. Wear gloves and use a putty knife to spread a thin layer of the tanglefoot on the folder sections. A hole punch will put a hole through for hanging a string.

attachment.php

Attachments

• yellow.jpg
    yellow.jpg
    1.7 KB · Views: 22
  • tangle.jpg
    tangle.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 30

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
On a less than industrial scale;), I use Yellow Duo Tang folders from any office supply store. Plastic folders hold up better than paper. Cut the folders into sections.

View Image

Tree Tanglefoot is sticky stuff. Wear gloves and use a putty knife to spread a thin layer of the tanglefoot on the folder sections. A hole punch will put a hole through for hanging a string.

View Image

I bet you can sell them online for $99 for a pack of 10!:biggrin:

axle2u

so ive tried alot of different methods to kill white fly, and my plants barely survived, and i almost completely lost all yield, think i ended up with 2 oz, scroungy buds.....awful

i have wee ones now coming up(4 plants) , and the occasional white fly i still see
even on my little ones in a different tent....i have swabbed down the bottom side of leaves with plant safe insecticide to kill any eggs (they very tiny, hard to see)...
so almost a year later, still a battle....but i am winning for now...seems so

so i bought this UVC light with Ozone, to disinfect my apartment from dust mites, and virus of all sorts, its latest technology used in chinese hospitals....to sterilize all germs

now im thinking this.....when this item actually gets here, im thinking on trying it with my plants too....maybe the UVC light is detrimental to white fly...???
at least blind the bastards......lol

also, the extra UV properties might make the plants thrive as well,
UV is natural light found in sunshine, it makes sense to me, but i aint no rocket scientist
apparently with this unit 15 minutes is equivalent to 6 hrs sunshine...

what do you think...?
think that will work, folks...?

please let us know your thoughts...

rock it old school..

-aX

Dankwolf

Diatomaceous earth and dissolvable Sulphur in a old bee smoker Not just about anything down. And it wont damage the plants or medium mac/micro biology.

Not recommended for flowering plants.

Life cycle for ghants. And white fly is 10-14 days . ( some one correct me if i am wrong ) so i would suggest smoking the plants out with aforementioned mixture atleast every 3 days twice a day for 2 weeks .

I would also do a bt drench in combination with bee foger

Yellow sticky traps should be in all gardens allowing a indicator of possible complications .

Not home remedy but a cost affective route .you could make the bee powder fogger out of many things if need be

axle2u

Diatomaceous earth and dissolvable Sulphur in a old bee smoker Not just about anything down. And it wont damage the plants or medium mac/micro biology.

Not recommended for flowering plants.

Life cycle for ghants. And white fly is 10-14 days . ( some one correct me if i am wrong ) so i would suggest smoking the plants out with aforementioned mixture atleast every 3 days twice a day for 2 weeks .

I would also do a bt drench in combination with bee foger

Yellow sticky traps should be in all gardens allowing a indicator of possible complications .

Not home remedy but a cost affective route .you could make the bee powder fogger out of many things if need be

hey thanks for this post, buddy...
i appreciate the read....really, who cares about proper grammar and/or spelling...its the content that really counts...no..?

a bee smoker, now thats interesting...
i will look into that a bit deeper...when i have the time

yes, im off work now too, but im balls deep in spring cleaning, got my place all ripped apart, doing a deep clean,
every closet, drawer and storage space, fridge, stove, cupboards, walls, ceilings....
bla bla bla...just too busy at the moment...

i really need to keep this issue in check...
or i will be growing again for nothing....

a big thanks, pal

:tiphat:

-axle

Last edited:

buzzmobile

Veteran
The yellow sticky traps will help a little to control the numbers but they won't solve the problem. Tree Tanglefoot works much better than Vaseline, plastic yellow folders last longer than the cardboard and Encarsia formosa was the best predator insect I used against whiteflies. They are easy to kill but very difficult to control.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
The yellow sticky traps will help a little to control the numbers but they won't solve the problem. Tree Tanglefoot works much better than Vaseline, plastic yellow folders last longer than the cardboard and Encarsia formosa was the best predator insect I used against whiteflies. They are easy to kill but very difficult to control.

LOL> Sorry Buzz. I just noticed your post above. That's what happen when I post before my first cup of coffee. lol
I'm including your solution in my Sig. :tiphat:

Once you kill the existing and emerging adults, have you won the battle?

buzzmobile

Veteran
Once you kill the existing and emerging adults, have you won the battle?
Yes, until the next time a clean yellow sticky trap shows a whitefly stuck in the goo. :biggrin: Always treat when the first whitefly is spotted.

An effective and safe spray to apply is a mixture of SuffoilX and Botanigard. Whenever treating for whitefly pay attention to the undersides of leaves.

Now I live in your signature.:laughing::woohoo: