What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Malawi Style Cob Curing.

Tangwena

Veteran
So... had anyone tried flue curing some ganja? One could hang the whole plant in a kiln and have uncompressed buds.

Anyway, my point here is the plant is kept alive long enough to cannibalize chlorophyll and all that then dried between 145-165 as I understand it. That's the same temperature used to pasteurize substrates for mushrooms. Helps specific bacteria colonize and prevent infection. It makes a smokeable product with tobacco, anyway.

I'm wondering how this extra hot sweat temperature would affect the marijuana. I imagine, at the least it would be ready for aging immediately - or close. Then you could compress it if you'd like. Or it could start compressed. But "tighter cobs ferment faster" and "hotter temps ferment faster."

Since we should be safe from pathogens ( same temperature restaurants keep food) it seems like loose buds should help balance the high temp.

I'm gonna experiment along these lines when I cut the next plant down. I definitely overdried this last one. Obviously, I'm gonna follow the instructions, also. I just wanna know what happens. It would be very comforting from a health standpoint.

Anyone have any thoughts?
I used to buy cobs in Africa that smelt strongly of wood smoke.
In those days I thought it was just where the cobs were hidden from authorities but now I believe they were possibly cured there from what I have read.
I would personally worry about drying too fast if it was a whole plant but wrapped up cob style they would maybe dry slower.
Keep us posted on your experiments there is more than one way to skin a cat as they say.
Lots of pics and close ups would be the icing on the cake.

oldworld

I used to buy cobs in Africa that smelt strongly of wood smoke.
In those days I thought it was just where the cobs were hidden from authorities but now I believe they were possibly cured there from what I have read.
I would personally worry about drying too fast if it was a whole plant but wrapped up cob style they would maybe dry slower.
Keep us posted on your experiments there is more than one way to skin a cat as they say.
Lots of pics and close ups would be the icing on the cake.

I thought about smoking it as well. Maybe one day I'll have enough to spare for that experiment. A lot of homegrow tobacco guys use a crockpot inside an insulated box to flue cure. It implies only the heat from the fire would reach the curing tobacco (ganja).

Anyway, I'll be cobbing the first attempt. I'm just gonna try an extra high temp sweat, and see how palatable that is compared to the more standard temperature.

Latest posts

Latest posts