What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Auxigrow, Glycolic Acid and GABA

statusquo

Anyone heard about this? It is a brand name that:
"...is a mixture of equal parts gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA), casein hydrolysate and glutamic acid dissolved in water."
Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auxigro

Here is an excerpt from the U.S. patent page with the results of GABA alone on various plant stresses (pathogenic, nutrient etc) vs. Auxigrow. Note that none of the pictures/images/graphs work despite this being a government website that is supposed to provide transparency lol...
EXAMPLE 1

Effect of GABA on Reducing Nutrient Stress

Bermuda sod was purchased from Oaks Nursery, Knoxville, Tenn. and grown in 41/4" (10.80 cm) diameter black plastic pots containing Fafard #2 potting soil. Two weeks after transfer to pots, turf was cut and each pot given a 50 ml treatment solution. Scotts Liquid Lawn Fertilizer (Fert.) with an N.P.K. of 26:1:2 (0.344 g fert./pot equivalent to 2 lbs. (0.91 kg) N (nitrogen)/1000 sq. ft. (93 sq. m.)) provided treatments with N dressings equivalent to 1/2 (0.23), 1 (0.45) and 2 (0.91) lbs. (kg) N/1000 sq. ft. (93 sq. m.). For a combination of the invention, one treatment contained fertilizer at 1/2 lb. (0.23 kg) N and GABA at 5 mM. Each treatment consisted of ten replicate pots. The turf was harvested one week after treatment and the average dry weight of turf was determined. The results in Table 1 show the average dry weight from ten pots for each treatment.

TABLE 1 Treatment Average Dry Weight (mg) .+-. SD* Control-No Treatment 335 .+-. 87 Fertilizer 1/2 lb. (0.23 kg) N 448 .+-. 107 Fertilizer 2 lb. (0.23 kg) N 640 .+-. 229 Fertilizer 1/2 lb. (0.23 kg) N + 644 .+-. 214 GABA 5 mM *Standard Deviation

Statistical analysis of the data using the student's t-test showed that the weight of turf treated with fertilizer at the equivalent of 1/2 lb. (0.23 kg) N per 1000 sq. ft. (93 sq. m.) was significantly less (t.gtoreq.95) than the weight of turf treated with 2 lbs. (0.91 kg) N per 1000 sq. ft. (93 sq. m.) The weight of grass harvested from the treatment given 1/2 lb. (0.23 kg) N fertilizer+GABA at 5 mM was statistically significantly greater (t.gtoreq.95) than the weight of grass harvested from the 1/2 lb. (0.23 kg) N fertilizer treatment without GABA, but was not different from the 2 lb. (0.91 kg) N per 1000 sq. ft. (93 sq. m.) treatments. Results show that the addition of GABA was able to reverse the reduction in plant growth due to lowering nutrient levels from 2 lbs. (0.91 kg) to 1/2 lb. (0.23 kg) N per 1000 sq. ft. (93 sq. m.).

EXAMPLE 2

Effect of GABA on Reducing Nutrient Stress

Duckweed (Lemma Minor L) was grown according to the general procedure in U.S. Pat. No. 5,439,873. The nutrient media contained different levels of 20-20-20 fertilizer with and without mixtures of casein hydrolysate (1000 ppm) and 10 mM GABA and mixtures of casein hydrolysate and glutamic acid (10 mM). Each treatment consisted of 4 replicate cultures and after two weeks growth, cultures were harvested and dry weights determined. Results are shown in FIG. 1. In fertilizer only treatment, optimal plant growth occurred at 1 g/l fertilizer (18 mgs plant dry weight). When fertilizer levels were reduced to 0.125 g/l, only 5 mg plant growth was found. However, in treatments containing the same level of fertilizer plus casein hydrolysate and GABA, and casein hydrolysate and glutamic acid, plant dry weights were about ten times higher. This shows that the mixtures were able to relieve the nutrient stress caused by limited fertilizer. Similarly, at high levels of fertilizer (4 g/l), duckweed growth was reduced by more than 50% because of an excess of fertilizer. The addition of casein hydrolysate and GABA, or casein hydrolysate and glutamic acid, relieved stress associated with the overabundance of nutrients and plant growth was more than twice that found with the best level of fertilizer. This example shows that treating duckweed with casein hydrolysate in combination with either GABA or glutamic acid, reversed the loss in plant growth due to nutrient excess or nutrient deficiency.

EXAMPLE 3

Effect of AuxiGro.TM. on Reducing Nutrient Stress

The procedure described in Example 1 was followed except that a fertilizer treatment at 4 lbs. (1.81 kg) N/1000 sq. ft. (93 sq. m.) was included and a composition of 1000 ppm each of GABA, glutamic acid and casein hydrolysate was used in place of pure GABA. The formulated 1:1:1 mixture of GABA, glutamic acid, and casein hydrolysate (GGC) is trademarked "AuxiGro.TM. WP Plant Metabolic Primer". The dry weight of turf harvested one week after being treated is shown in Table 2 below.

TABLE 2 % Change From Nutrient Average Dry Wt. % Change from 4 lbs. (1.81 kg) Treatment (mg) Water Control Fertilizer Tap water 438 .+-. 108 0 -39 Fertilizer 479 .+-. 138 +9 -34 1/2 lb. (0.23 kg) Fertilizer 650 .+-. 254 +48 -10 1 lb. (0.45 kg.) Fertilizer 638 .+-. 185 +46 -12 2 lb. (0.91 kg) Fertilizer 720 .+-. 287 +64 0 4 lb. (1.81 kg) Fertilizer 718 .+-. 174 +64 0 1/2 lb. (0.23 kg) + GABA + Glutamic Acid + Casein Hydrolysate (GGC)

The weight of turf treated with 1/2 lb. (0.23 kg) fertilizer plus GGC was statistically heavier (.gtoreq.0.99) than the weight of turf treated with 1/2 lb. (0.23 kg) fertilizer alone, and very similar to the weight of turf given 8 times more fertilizer. Insufficient nutrients in 1/2 lb. (0.23 kg) fertilizer limited turf growth in this treatment such that the dry weight of harvested turf was 34% less than the dry weight of turf harvested from the 4 lbs. (1.81 kg) fertilizer treatments. However, this loss in growth was relieved by treatment with GGC (AuxiGro.TM.).

EXAMPLE 4

Effect of AuxiGro.TM. on Protecting Plant Tissue From Pathogenic Stress

Potato tubers were surface sterilized and then sliced (laterally) into 1.0 cm thick slices. Tuber slices were treated with a 1:1:1 mixture of gamma aminobutyric acid:glutamic. acid:casein hydrolysate (GGC) at concentrations of either 100, 500, or 1,000 ppm or with water. Slices were challenge inoculated with the potato dry rot pathogen, Fusarium sambucinum, by placing an agar plug containing the pathogen onto the surface of the slice. Treated or untreated tuber slices were challenge inoculated with the pathogen either 1, 2, or 3 days after treatment. In all cases, the results were recorded 3 days after the challenge inoculation and included diameter of discoloration (i.e., diameter of visible surface symptoms) and depth of maceration (i.e., range of depth of decay into the tuber tissue) N=6 for each time/treatment.

The results demonstrate that treatment with the combination of GGC protected tissue against the disease pathogen. This is evident by the range of depth of lesions whereby the untreated water controls became completely macerated within 3 days of challenge while those treated with either 100, 500, or 1,000 ppm AuxiGro.TM. had only surface discoloration and shallow lesions but were typically not macerated by the pathogen. This demonstrates that the use of the GGC combination comprising AuxiGro.TM. resulted in the plant becoming resistant to the fungal challenge inoculation.

TABLE 3 Time of Challenge Inoculation (Days after Treatment) and Disease Symptoms.sup.1 1 2 3 Lesion Lesion Lesion Treatment Discoloration Depth Discoloration Depth Discoloration Depth Water 2.56 cm CM.sup.2 3.30 cm .sup. 6-8 mm 3.87 cm CM GGC (100 ppm) 2.25 cm 5-10 mm 3.17 cm SD.sup.3 - 4 mm 2.95 cm 2mm-CM GGC (500 ppm) 2.33 cm 1-3 mm 3.30 cm SD NT.sup.4 NT GGC (1000 ppm) 2.00 cm SD - 1 mm.sup. 2.70 cm .sup. SD - 6 mm 2.15 cm SD - 2 mm .sup.1 Symptoms measured as diameter (cm) of discolored tissue and range of depth of lesions (mm) for all 6 replications within each treatment. .sup.2 CM = Complete maceration of tissue. .sup.3 SD = Surface discoloration only. .sup.4 NT = Not tested.

EXAMPLE 5

Effect of AuxiGro.TM. on Reducing Plant Disease

Wheat seeds cv (Kulm Albert Lea Seed House, Albert-Lea, Minn.) were planted at 100 seeds/1 gallon (3.8 l) pots using SURE MIX potting soil from Michigan Grower Supply, Inc. (Galesburg, Mich.). Control and AuxiGro.TM. treatments each consisted of three repetitions with 3 pots a repetition, giving a total of 9 pots for each treatment The pots of wheat were treated with AuxiGro.TM. at 1/4 lb/acre (0.28 kg/hectare) a few days before heads could be felt in sheaths of wheat plants. A second AuxiGro.TM. application was made 3 weeks later by which time flowering had ended and grain set commenced. When applying AuxiGro.TM., each pot of wheat plants were given 4 sprays equivalent to 10.7 ml per pot.

Plants treated with AuxiGro.TM. were much more resistant to powdery mildew disease than untreated controls. As a result of infection, the control plants had much poorer seed set and showed very uneven growth. The heads of wheat were harvested and the grain was separated, weighed, and counted. Results are shown in Table 4 for a representative three pots from each treatment.

TABLE 4 Average Grain .+-. Average Number Treatment SD* of Wheat Grains Untreated 11.75 .+-. 0.56 127 .+-. 4 AuxiGro .TM. 1/4 lb./ 15.81 .+-. 0.56 129 .+-. 4 Acre (0.28 kg/hectare) *Standard Deviation

Statistical analysis of the above results show that the 35% increase in grain weight from the AuxiGro.TM.-treated plants was significant at 0.99% confidence.

Tissue samples of control and AuxiGro.TM.-treated wheat plants were analyzed to determine their mineral content. Results are shown below in Table 5.

TABLE 5 Wheat Plant Nutrient Analysis Control AuxiGro .TM. % of Control N % 2.55 2.21 86.7 P % 0.817 1.16 142.0 K % 3.42 4.38 128.1 Ca % 1.1 1.44 130.9 Mg % 0.672 0.844 125.6 Na % 0.017 0.023 135.3 S % 0.214 0.164 76.6 Zn ppm 77 102 132.5 Fe ppm 271 233 86.0 Mn ppm 635 838 132.0 B ppm 59 78 132.2 Cu ppm 8 9 112.5

The results show that AuxiGro.TM.-treated wheat plants had higher levels of minerals, such as manganese, which help plants resist powdery mildew disease.

EXAMPLE 6

Effect of AuxiGro.TM. on Increasing Activity of Fungicides

The ability of AuxiGro.TM. to increase plant resistance to fungal attack, thereby increasing effectiveness of fungicides, was demonstrated on tomatoes in Late Blight Control. An entire field of tomatoes which had received two applications of Dithane fungicide as a preventative treatment was showing signs of late blight infection. Plants were large with almost fully-sized fruit when they were treated with Dithane alone and Dithane at the recommended rate in combination with 2 oz/A AuxiGro.TM.. Twenty feet of tomato bed was treated followed by a second application eight days later. A week later, plants were evaluated for severity of late blight infection on a scale of 0-100%, (one spot per leaf=5%, many leaves and main stem infection=50% or more). Results are shown in Table 6.
Source: http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-...50&s1=6534446.PN.&OS=PN/6534446&RS=PN/6534446

Also stumbled upon something called (ammonium salt of) glycolic acid that does the following: (the ammonium salt version seems more effective than glycolic acid alone)

"It has been discovered that application of glycolic acid, or a salt thereof, or a mixture thereof, to plants increases the resistance of the plants to the effects of plant stress. Such increased resistance includes the ability of the plants to tolerate the effects of plant stress. It has also unexpectedly been discovered that application of an ammonium salt of glycolic acid stimulates plant growth more than an equivalent amount of glycolic acid alone. Yet another unexpected discovery is that glycolic acid has microbial growth-promoting effects, and that the ammonium salt of glycolic acid stimulates microbial growth more than equivalent amounts of glycolic acid alone. In one aspect of the invention, a method includes treating a plant with glycolic acid, a salt thereof, or a mixture thereof, in an amount effective to increase the resistance of the plant to the effects of plant stress.

Source:
http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&u=/netahtml/PTO/search-bool.html&r=2&f=G&l=50&co1=AND&d=PTXT&s1=auxigro&OS=auxigro&RS=auxigro

trevor112358

thanks for the awesome info, i've already sourced ingredients (the ones i didnt already have). now im thinking about use in conjunction with brassinolide and jasmonic acid.

timing is everything...

Sabertooth Phar

Trevor,

be informed that brassinolide is an antagonist of jasmonic acid. You may very well negate any improvement with that combination. GA3, TRIA and JAZ used in folar backed up with GA3 and TRIA in the tank have shown the best results for the addition of resin. I will be adding Spermine and or Spermidine along with the former components but will not have the results for another 4 months. Cannabis is very strain dependent, but I go with the odds until I'm left with no alternative. Brassinolide and Jaz would be trying to beat those odds. This is the road that I've used.

Peace

Sabertooth Phar

This past week CA removed PBZ and some other items from the shelf. Out went Phosphoload, Bushmaster, Gravity and other similar bloom products. People must be misusing the products. If I can get the final list I'll post them for you. I suspect other areas will do the same. After all we can't think for ourselves, the government must do it for us.:bow::moon:

trevor112358

thanks SP,
i didnt intend on using jaz and brass throughout flowering. i was thinking about 1 or 2 foliar applications of jaz during week 6 or 7, after growth is starts slowing to hopefully bulk up glandular density.
i've been reluctant to use ga3 for fear of severe stretching, but i planned on researching it more and testing it in the future.
in reality ive just begun studying pgr's and plant biology, where you seem pretty well versed.

thanks again for the warning

dizzlekush

Trevor,

be informed that brassinolide is an antagonist of jasmonic acid. You may very well negate any improvement with that combination. GA3, TRIA and JAZ used in folar backed up with GA3 and TRIA in the tank have shown the best results for the addition of resin.
@Sabertooth Phar its my understanding that Triacontanol and Jasmonic acids have negative crosstalk.

"Triacontanol (TRIA), a long chain aliphatic alcohol (C30H61OH) reverses the effect of jasmonic acid (JA) in inducing proteinase inhibitors (PIs) in tomato leaves. Porcine pancreas trypsin and Spodoptera litura gut proteinases were inhibited in the presence of leaf proteins treated with JA, and TRIA partially reverses this effect. Spodoptera litura larvae fed with tomato leaves treated with JA were reduced in body weight and TRIA is able to partially reverse this JA-induced effect. These results reflect the partial reversal effect of TRIA in down regulating the JA-induced production of proteinase inhibitors. "
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1...?dopt=Abstract

"Two down-regulated genes were identified as those encoding an ABA- and stress-related protein and a wounding-related protein. These results suggested that TRIA up-regulated the photosynthesis process and suppressed stresses in rice plants."
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1...?dopt=Abstract

sound like antagonists to me. you got any scientific verification for your statements? personally i hope you're right so i wouldnt have to stretch my JAZ and TRIA applications so far apart, it be nice to get the best of both worlds there but it seems to be otherwise.

and hows that spermidine treating your ladies?

Sabertooth Phar

Haven’t been around in a while. If I were growing tomatoes or rice I would look at the evidence presented, but I don’t anymore. Doesn’t apply to cannabis in that combination. TRIA can extend the harvest time by 1-2 weeks if used in the last 2-3 weeks for high sativa phenos. Other than that I know of no other side affects with using the two.

Remember, anything released to the public is a failure or old and replaced information. Successes belong to those that paid for them. They want to recoup their monies. There are examples of successes being released to promote sales (ie. Sativa genome). This will bring in others to do research and testing under their umbrella. It’s great to know that it’s there, but it will cost you to use it. The way the world works, sorry.

You sound like a close relative of Spurr’s. You share the same ability to find old and misplaced abstracts. That is useful as they can be buried pretty deep at times.

With hormones, the combination of TRIA, GA3 and JA used in foliar is the most controversial. Timing is everything. The resin output is undeniable but the foxtailing in sativa or high sativa phenos can destroy the marketability of the product if bag appeal is paramount.

Out of time. Maybe later.:tiphat:

dizzlekush

Trevor,

GA3, TRIA and JAZ used in folar backed up with GA3 and TRIA in the tank have shown the best results for the addition of resin.
Peace

you still have yet to discuss how you've come to this conclusion. Since you talk like you're more than well versed in the subject of PGR's i hope you don't mind talking a little shop.

what PPM of TRIA, JA and GA3 do you use when applying to the foliage? do you coapply all three at the same time? (seems unlikely with your emphasis on timing). what forms of TRIA and JA have/do you use(d)? whats your logic on applying GA3 and TRIA to both the foliage and the rez? since its VERY easy to over apply both hormones, and foliar applications are the more efficient and seemingly more accurate way of "dosing" your plant, i dont follow your logic.

Close relative of Spurr's? id consider that a compliment but does the hint of taking a scientific approach to my growing really clump me into a two man group? 2002-04 really that old? does science have a 5 year shelf life i wasn't informed about? "misplaced"? where's a facepalm when you need it.

i wont try to change your PGR regimen but if you could at least be informative and somewhat back your statements up with some scientific basis this could actually prove to be a worthwhile conversation instead of just measuring inches. i have no doubts of co applications of GA3 and JA and their significant increase on resin/ terpene/trichome production, or the substantial effects of TRIA, but its my simple understanding than JA and TRIA have antagonistic effects, as the above provided information proves. i would love to hear an even somewhat scientific explanation for your denying this fact other than that "different plant" bullshit plant-specific nutrient buyers have to keep telling themselves.

Bongstar420

Remember, anything released to the public is a failure or old and replaced information. Successes belong to those that paid for them. They want to recoup their monies. There are examples of successes being released to promote sales (ie. Sativa genome). This will bring in others to do research and testing under their umbrella. It’s great to know that it’s there, but it will cost you to use it. The way the world works, sorry.

Most of the time, the developers find that it is simply not very profitable or it is anti-profit (makes scarcity disappear). So, just because it is public info, doesn't mean it lacks significance. Many of us play the profit game, and people won't talk about anything that cuts into their profits. We can thank the Flying Spaghetti Monster for the fact that everyone does not play this game all the time but also we should raise our fists at him for designing the abilitiy to be a total asshat and be successful.:pirate:

Some of us know we are working towards freebies for all though!

G

GYOweed

Fyi shaggy was banned probably leaving too well see.
Can anyone find the full paper?
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.researchgate.net/figure/Effects-of-GABA-on-THC-and-CBD-content-in-the-inflorescence-of-cannabis-plants-Values_fig4_331702453/amp

pahval

you still have yet to discuss how you've come to this conclusion. Since you talk like you're more than well versed in the subject of PGR's i hope you don't mind talking a little shop.

what PPM of TRIA, JA and GA3 do you use when applying to the foliage? do you coapply all three at the same time? (seems unlikely with your emphasis on timing). what forms of TRIA and JA have/do you use(d)? whats your logic on applying GA3 and TRIA to both the foliage and the rez? since its VERY easy to over apply both hormones, and foliar applications are the more efficient and seemingly more accurate way of "dosing" your plant, i dont follow your logic.

Close relative of Spurr's? id consider that a compliment but does the hint of taking a scientific approach to my growing really clump me into a two man group? 2002-04 really that old? does science have a 5 year shelf life i wasn't informed about? "misplaced"? where's a facepalm when you need it.

i wont try to change your PGR regimen but if you could at least be informative and somewhat back your statements up with some scientific basis this could actually prove to be a worthwhile conversation instead of just measuring inches. i have no doubts of co applications of GA3 and JA and their significant increase on resin/ terpene/trichome production, or the substantial effects of TRIA, but its my simple understanding than JA and TRIA have antagonistic effects, as the above provided information proves. i would love to hear an even somewhat scientific explanation for your denying this fact other than that "different plant" bullshit plant-specific nutrient buyers have to keep telling themselves.
hey @dizzlekush, first of all, thank you very much for all of the posts you put up here, for keeping scientific approach, sustaing from communication on level some garbage allows here, im avoiding this forum because of toxicity thay lays around here, but for you i had to say thank you, and i had to response with some research paper, experiment was done on mugbeans, and it was done to see how triacontanol would react on heat burned plant, and it showed that its application before and during heat stress increased abscisic acid and jasmonic acid.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/26744997/

i hope you will see this, and it will be of some value to you, again, thank you for all the info you put on using pgrs on med plants and keeping the level high! wish you all the best...

Latest posts

Latest posts