What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Step by step bubble cloner set up (good for newb cloners)

daemos

^^^^
Dont "soak" Rapid Rooters. They are wet enough right out of the bag to root a clone (or germ a seed). They hold a lot of moisture so wet Rapid Rooters leads to stem rot. Rapid Rooters in a tray with a humidity dome, 75 degree temps and a small CFL will root plenty enough to start a clone into a plant. You're making it too complicated.

Thanks for your help Mr Grow Time I will take you up on your advice!

Ez...Mos:joint:

fatigues

Veteran
OK, I just read this entire thread and I didn't see this question asked. I just built my own bubble cloner a few weeks ago. I have have had a some clones get brown mushy stems. and the rest have white bumps all over but no roots forming. the white bumps started to appear about a week ago but no roots coming out. It seems like they are stuck and not wanting to root. The sides of my container are clear. Do roots not like light? Should I black out the sides.

Light is getting to your roots and killing your grow. And algae is getting on your plant stems, too. Light will stop root growth dead in its tracks.

Light proof the whole container - and make sure you light proof the top too.

The OP in the first posts says:

Don't worry about blacking out your container.There is no difference.

Without putting too fine a point on it - the OP is FULL OF SHIT

He's wrong. Dead wrong.

Balazar

Thanks fatigues. I blacked it out w/ black duct tape and I'm starting to see roots form. Now brown mushy stems are my problem. Would you recommend hydrogen peroxide or any other additive for algae?

fatigues

Veteran
Thanks fatigues. I blacked it out w/ black duct tape and I'm starting to see roots form. Now brown mushy stems are my problem. Would you recommend hydrogen peroxide or any other additive for algae?

Honestly, seeing as you have very very little invested in this grow, if you can? Scrub this grow and start over. Make damn sure you bleach the rez and make it pristine before starting again.

If that's not a realistic option - try the H2O2. If its just root rot - you'll make it out. Given the light exposure - I don't think it's root rot and is more likely to be algae.

You can try to completely clean off the clones roots under pressure - and I do mean COMPLETELY. Blacked out, that should choke off the algae.

If that does not work, and it is brown algae, the only thing that's going to wipe out that for 100% is Physan 20. It's pretty nasty stuff though. Follow the directions carefuly on it if you go that direction. If you are in Canada, Physan 20 is not sold there - but there is a similar product available in Canadian Tire in the pool section - though it's half the strength of Physan 20 (same chemical, half strength).

Clean em completely, keep the stem /roots dark as dark can be, and hopefully you can choke off the algae with lack of light. If not, use Physan 20 or just quit and start over with a blacked out rez.

Most of the "brown algae" horror stories tend to be in systems that are believed to be light tight (but are not) and the stuff can't be choked off from any light exposure because the underlying light leak is eluding the grower. You aren't facing that sort of situation.

Hopefully you'll be okay. Keep it as well aerated as you can. Bubble the crap out of it.

Good luck.

ItsGrowTime

gets some
Veteran
My 2 cents on bubble cloners after a few years of playing with them. No particular order of importance. But as always, YMMV. What works for me might not work for you.

1. Keep water temps down. The 78-80F recommendation Ive seen is crap. That temp range ended up in stem rot problems and failed clones for me way too many times. Low to mid 70s and no higher.

2. Keep light out. I'm not convinced this is important since I have rooted many clones in bubblers with plenty of light. Better safe than sorry though.

3. Add a beneficial bacteria supplement to the water. I recommend AquaShield from Botanicare. Do not add any supplement with anything other than bacteria or a basic cloning gel. Check out the Strange Slime thread in the Infirmary for the reasons why.

4. Cloning gel on the stems during cut helps to keep air bubbles out of the stem. Keep a cup of tap water handy to put clones in AS SOON AS YOU CUT. I cut a large branch from mom, then cut my clones and stick each one straight into the cup of water. Then the clone is cut with a sharp razor at 45degrees and dipped in clone gel and inserted directly into the bubbler.

5. If you can find L0UGREW's bubble cloning method thread of nothing but a cooking pot, foil, an airstone and clones (shame on whoever banned him), it is the best Ive used.

That's my experience so far. Bubblers kick ass for rooting great clones. The learning curve can be steep though.

joeking

I'm new to aquaponics as well/ My former method of cloning was just to place in rkwool under a dome and mist once or twice a day, got about 80% give or take. I recently built my first bubble cloner and have read thread after thread about them. Good stuff, Im 7 days in and didn't use any gel, we'll see whas up soon!!!

FRIENDinDEED

A FRIEND WITH WEED IS A . . .
Veteran
ive been reading this thread and i pretty much think ive bumped into what ive been doing wrong with bubble cloner.

1. i have been using rapid rooter plugs and they have been staying soaked for the entire time they are in the cloner. seems to be that, that is my first mistake so i will end up getting that under control.

2. next thing i am going to do TODAY is get that aquarium pump in there. where my grow is, is way too cold, i can tell you that the water temp has to be in the 30-40 range. where my grow is, is going to be whatever temp is out side more or less; not so much for the big cab but definitely for the veg/mom cab. and i know im going to need one for the bigger rez for the big cab.

3. the one thing i have to do is find some form of neoprene rod or tube that i can cut into the right size for my system. i cut 1-1/4" holes in the top of a sterilite container, that gave me about 54 sites.

****no time right now, gotta go, check the princess diesel thread in my sig to see the cloner i made!!!!!!***

so does anyone have any ideas where i can get some neoprene plugs or neoprene material (a 1-1/4" rod) i can cut into the right size disks? i tried my hydro shop but i got no answer

PhenotypeX

Just bought some rootone at Ace Hardware today its a power rooting hormone. Im just wondering whats the best way to apply it using this method? wont the water just wash it off?

PhenotypeX

Heres mine.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

V1AAA

just my 2 cents...

some1 mentioned clones wilting when tranporting from bubbler to mud....

stems need to harden a little before you transplant. 1 way to do this is remove the dome after you see roots. a little air movement is also great for this. cold water is also a killer. you may want to feed the soil with room temp. water.

and keep the mud a little wetter rather than too dry. i think its to do with the fast change in environment from very wet to dry

great thread guys

what ever happened to using a good old propagator? i see roots in 7 to 10 days if the temp is right. i use moist (not wet) rw cubes with no nutes, just a little rooting gel syringed straight into the cube.

for light i use a 125 cfl on all the time

happy growing, and good luck

Ackman

wow

wow

Im newely registered and normally wouldnt had. However this is the best forum i have ever seen THANX everyone! ill get some pics of what i built using this thread.

P.S. It seems roots come much faster if stem is left just above the water. The bubbles plus the mosture seems to be all it needs. cloners with jet pumps like ez cloner do this by spraying a a pulsing spray at the stems and we'd all be using those if they werent so expensive to buy or build lol

farmdalefurr

I feel nothing and it feels great
Veteran
love your thread bro. i just made myself a replica of your design. ive had 0% success rate w/ rockwool & olivias. your cloner seems to really bust some shit out. i can wait to get mine rockin. one ? though. on my 5in. air stone theres a lil black plug at one end that they say to take out. when i take it out it doesnt seem like i get as much bubbling as when its in. any thoughts?

I to really like this way of cloneing i don't have any mother right now but when i did i used this method but a little on the cheaper and more simple side and this is very simple. I found it on this forum or one other one im not sure but i used a metal pot to help keep the temps down with an air stone in the bottom of the pot. For a lid believe it or not i used tin foil which might sound cheesy but it is so useful and easy. all you do is cut the clones all similar lengths and cut all but the top set of leaves off and cut those in half.

After this i just poked a small whole and with a marker could write the strain right beside the whole and then put the stem through the whole. I just kept the water about a half inch up the stem and let it go and within a week it would be rooting. i put it under one cool white 13 watt cfl about a foot away. I had 100 percent success rate if i kept my temps between 65-70 degrees i like 68 the best.

I will post pics in a month or two when i set one up

P.S. as far as what kinda pot it doesnt matter as long as it is metal i mean you can use plastic as you guys have done but for me it was easier to keep temps low with the metal. I used cooking pots or sometimes rectangle metal buffet style trays...lol like you find at shoneys or a chinese buffet.

Last edited:
F

feral

I'm going to go this route but wonder if willow water (which is basically a natural liquid rooting agent) instead of regular water would speed up the rooting process.