What's new

Kush traits vs OG traits

I've read/heard people talking about a particular strain having a very "Kush nose" or "stretches/grows like an OG", etc.
From what I can tell, lots of these ABC Kush or ABC OG are clone-only OG Kush cuts out-crossed with whatever (like, the latest cup winner) and you end with Lemon Kush from one seed company and Lemon OG from another (Haze seems to follow a similar pattern).

Is there really a distinction, for example, between a F2 that has a "kush nose" versus a F2 that has an "OG nose"? When people refer to a Kush growth habit is that actually different from an OG growth habit?

Thanks for the help.

Thanks for the history lesson, but that doesn't answer my question about what people mean when they use "kush" or "OG" as an adjective to describe traits of a (poly)hybrid.

My confusion is amplified with comments like this, referring to Barney's Farm kush seeds, from this thread:
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=331040&page=3

That's because it's not an OG or OG hybrid. It's a kush hybrid of Afghan Kush a Paki Kush(according to Barney's) . That variety was out before OG Kush gained recognition world wide.
But the supposed lineage of strains I've heard talked about in this way are (mostly) modern Cali strains with clone-only parents, so maybe talking about European Kush lines isn't relevant, but certainly confusing in the grand scheme of things.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I think the biggest problem is that some traits don't have a specific descriptive term associated with them AND/OR folks don't know the proper terms to use (ignorance).

The way those terms are used is called bro speak and it really doesn't convey anything specific what so ever. Kushy to one guy might have something to do with a specific terp profile while to the next guy it may mean spindly viney weak stemmed growth habit.
Folks that use those terms to a fault are very unimpressive because they aren't saying anything that anybody can logically interpret.

IMO, Other than origin of varietals the terms have been overused by retailers just to move product...
Which muddles the situation even worse.

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran
It's meaningless unless you have smoked the original OGK and enough OG hybrids to understand it with your own nose and brain.

Then you need a background with the Kush strains that didn't have any OGK qualities to have something to compare to.

The OG smell in the original is unmistakable and it doesn't carry into seeds very well IME but I can smell it in the best cookie cuts but it's not in every cut with OG attached to the name.

You need to spend time smoking in LA, the Bay Area, and in Humbolt to get your head wrapped around it while there's still time...

The OGK growth habits of floppy lanky golf ball nuggets are very different from stocky Kush habits and OGK hybrids carry the morphology well and they can be really potent too but what's special about the original or Josh D cut as it's known today is that special aroma and it's heroin like effects.:biggrin:

Happy Times

Nice feedback from MJP and Chunky, I’d say for modern terminology, “kushy”, meaning OG Kush based, tends to refer to a characteristic piney lemony weed aroma.

It confuses things that before OG Kush, there was Hindu Kush (and Master Kush), which I think is/are a very different strain. Hindu Kush and OG Kush share the same name but don’t seem very related IMHO (haven’t done any Phylos research here)

browntrout

Veteran
Nice feedback from MJP and Chunky, I’d say for modern terminology, “kushy”, meaning OG Kush based, tends to refer to a characteristic piney lemony weed aroma.

It confuses things that before OG Kush, there was Hindu Kush (and Master Kush), which I think is/are a very different strain. Hindu Kush and OG Kush share the same name but don’t seem very related IMHO (haven’t done any Phylos research here)

I agree, I can see OGK coming from some sort of Master/Hindu or Purple but not vice versa. OGK doesn't really split the kush from the pine/lime/lemon when bred in my experience. I find the earthiness (Kush) of OGK to be quite different from the Masters / Hindus / Purple Kushes with the slightly more compact thicker frames.

Some people associate the OGK as kush and others the Hindu/masters and purples as I do.

JetLife175

Veteran
So you'll notice in alot of OG hybrids that there usually is an underlying smell on most if not all plants.

The heavy OG leaners will carry the lemon, fuel, pine, and earthy characteristics over in varying degrees.

The middle of the road is where this "kushy" term I feel comes from as most haven't smoked a true OG and this is now the predominant understanding of what OG is.

I would describe it as a piney earthiness with a faint gas touch to it.

Latest posts

Latest posts