What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Making my perfect SOG strain.

seanprice183

In my last grow, tutankhamun (ak47 pheno) was by far the best strain. Extremely tollerant, fairly short plant (not much stretch) and really fkn big buds! The strain may have up to 27% thc.

I want to cross tutankamun with an indica strain to make my own perfect SOG strain. But I need help which indica I should choose.

I want my cross to have:
1. Great yield
2. Easy to grow
3. High THC%
4. short / medium heigh
5. 50-75% Indica

What should I cross with?

Whine Rhino - Will be an extreme yielder, but I was not so impatient of my two.

Black Domina - Easy to grow, short, smell good but not super high thc.

Purple kush - Short, super high thc level, smells good. It would probably be the best crossing, except that the yield may be suffering and not very easy to grow?

Money Maker - (Hindu kush x Master kush x Skunk) - Not 100% indica like the others and skunk genes can certainly improve the harvest and make it easier to grow. Or suck all greenhouse strains?

I will use 100 king tut plants to find the best and choose two indica strains 50 of each so i have i big genepool.

Well Sean, welcome to ic brotha

So you’re ak pheno is a hybrid? What else do we know about it?

This would be a good start, check out bossmans thread on breeding here

Like most of us on here we want to grow what suits our needs, but at the same time some of us grow for market, or some of us grow for headstash.

It depends on what you want to get out of cropping, because what I like, others might not like. I’m a purple kush kinda guy, a lot of my friends aren’t :tiphat:

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
You're looking in the wrong gene pool for a great SOG plant.

The BEST are 12wk sativa hybrids that you can put in flower as rooted 8"-10" cuts and flip. Once flipped they stretch 3x and give you a nice 2.5-3 ft cola. They stay tall, long, thin and narrow. They have a slightly less compact bud structure that allows for good air flow and increases in resin field density between the gaps in their more bubbly calyxes.

Everyone thinks a short stocky indica makes a great SOG candidate because they are fast flowering. They are also very prone to bud rot and PM when packed so tightly. They are too wide and end up rubbing shoulders with each other. They don't get high enough above the soil line and end up with the bottom flowers a bit dirty.

TRUE SOG is 4 plants per square foot. The other model is lolloping at 1 plant per sq ft. True SOG requires no veg time. Just big healthy moms to take a bunch of cuts from.

12 wk is important too, because then you can harvest on a monthly 28 day interval. 4 week rotation, 3 stages of growth. New cuts in place every 28 days. True perpetual harvesting.

Most people don't do this because of plant count and the inability to ever leave the grow. The perpetual harvest cycle keeps you BUSY and tied to the operation.

dank.Frank

highsteppa

Veteran
^^ great post...I may experiment with this. I have some black haZe x G13haze/nycd and think I could sort something nice for this purpose. Aside from numbers, is seems a good way to bring something different to a flooded market.

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
$mike made some BlackStar which is Black Haze x Stardawg Ix2 and I always felt those held a great candidate for that 12wk SOG keeper. Nice to see you think the Black has what it takes too.

Another great candidate is from Karma - Biker Kush x g13/haze.

dank.Frank

hush

Señor Member
Veteran

The BEST are 12wk sativa hybrids that you can put in flower as rooted 8"-10" cuts and flip. Once flipped they stretch 3x and give you a nice 2.5-3 ft cola. They stay tall, long, thin and narrow. They have a slightly less compact bud structure that allows for good air flow and increases in resin field density between the gaps in their more bubbly calyxes.

Everyone thinks a short stocky indica makes a great SOG candidate because they are fast flowering. They are also very prone to bud rot and PM when packed so tightly. They are too wide and end up rubbing shoulders with each other. They don't get high enough above the soil line and end up with the bottom flowers a bit dirty.

TRUE SOG is 4 plants per square foot. The other model is lolloping at 1 plant per sq ft. True SOG requires no veg time. Just big healthy moms to take a bunch of cuts from.

12 wk is important too, because then you can harvest on a monthly 28 day interval. 4 week rotation, 3 stages of growth. New cuts in place every 28 days. True perpetual harvesting.

Most people don't do this because of plant count and the inability to ever leave the grow. The perpetual harvest cycle keeps you BUSY and tied to the operation.

dank.Frank

This is an excellent post, and it's true AF. I learned way back early on that short stocky indica plants are the worst options for a dense SOG. Even if you lollipop and make room for single colas, they are dense and prone to botyritis and other moldy problems. The absolute best SOGs are done with hybrids or sativas that are forced early so that they grow up into tall spears, and the flower structure allows for airflow.

Really, just an excellent post, Dank Frank. :tiphat:

Limeygreen

Veteran
CSI humboldt does some high density plantings, may check out what he is doing on instagram may give you some ideas what you could expect from selections he is doing.

The sativa hybrid is a great route and much easier than indica dom as frank mentioned, I would go with what he has said.

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
dank.frank for the win.

Sog is heavy maintenance and would be a shame to lose yield to rot.

Been there, done that.

Here's a cross I made, thunk x (sensi star x nycd):

picture.php

Good stuff, topped once, but you get the idea.

seanprice183

Well Sean, welcome to ic brotha

So you’re ak pheno is a hybrid? What else do we know about it?

This would be a good start, check out bossmans thread on breeding here

Like most of us on here we want to grow what suits our needs, but at the same time some of us grow for market, or some of us grow for headstash.

It depends on what you want to get out of cropping, because what I like, others might not like. I’m a purple kush kinda guy, a lot of my friends aren’t
tiphat.gif

Tnx bro!
I have read a lot about breeding and I have created a strain before.

Leafly for exaple or any other sites says that tutankhamon is a pure sativa. But it grows mutch shorter than original serious ak74 and has wider leaf, more shugar on the buds and the biggest buds I've seen.

Yeah, I want a commercial cash-crop strain that suits my needs and is easy to grow. But still really strong weed.
bashhead.gif

What i like to smoke and what i like to grow is big differens. I like to smoke OG's and Chemdog crosses, but hate to grow them.

dank.Frank

896/5000

Yes, I know and you are absolutely right. If I were to put on yield, I would choose no haze, probably amnesia kush that gave the greatest yield of all I cultivated.

I don't want a sativa for two reasons.

1. Everything that is sold here in my country is different hazes usually amnesia that everyone is tired of. Basically everyone prefers to smoke indica dominated hybrids. It also applies to me.

2. I have limited height in my grow space and haze usually stretch above the lights.

I have a friend who is a terrible grower who takes care of my grow. Therefore i cant't grow picky strains like gorilla glue fore example.

I do not need any super short 100% indica, just an indica dominant strain or 50/50 hybrid that does not stretch too much.

I like serious cronic and white russian, but cronic is too weak weed and wr has to low yield. But I want a similar hybrid with oldscool genes that is easy to grow.

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
In my experience White Russian has a massive yield and is quite potent.

Also I want to say thanks to dank.frank for that killer post.

Nl5/Haze was the ultimate sog plant for us back in the day.

seanprice183

In my experience White Russian has a massive yield and is quite potent.

Also I want to say thanks to dank.frank for that killer post.

Nl5/Haze was the ultimate sog plant for us back in the day.

I growed White Russian next to Tutankhamon in my last grow and tutankhamon yielded much more.
What if i cross tutankhamon with WW insted of AK47xWW? Ore is there a better indica to cross width? AK47xNL yields massive but has boring smoke. Maby use tutankhamonxNL insted?

Yes haze strains yields massive! I know.
Let me reformulate me then. I want to make a short/medium hight strain whitout haze genes that yield massive and has high thc, even if I know that I will get a greater yield with haze.

Happy Times

dank.Frank

Great info Frank

Happy Times

Sean- you mentioned wanting oldschool, Indica Dom, and not too tall, just a few random thoughts

Shiva Skunk
Mr. Nice (G13xHP)

How about Bodhi strains that use 88G13/HP as the male?

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yes haze strains yields massive! I know.
Let me reformulate me then. I want to make a short/medium hight strain whitout haze genes that yield massive and has high thc, even if I know that I will get a greater yield with haze.

Everything you are asking is 100% based on speculation. There isn't a single person here that can KNOW what the end result of these theoretical crosses will be without knowing anything about the phenotypical expressions of the mother or the father used.

My suggestion was not haze specific. I simply said a sativa hybrid. It wasn't because of the yield factors either. It has everything to do with growth profile and the ability to pack the plants in tighter without some of the issues that arise when trying to do the same thing with indica dominated genetics.

That aside, if you pair a haze with another modern gene pool like Biker Kush, to stick with that example from Karma, you don't have to select a pheno that is remotely haze influenced in any other means aside from the growth habitat itself. You could still end up with a plant that smokes absolutely nothing like the haze dominant market you are used too.

That's exactly why I suggested a hybrid over a pure line sativa of any kind.

Another thing worth considering, could be GSC dominant hybrids. The Cookies gene pool gave birth to the phrase "micro nug syndrome" because of their extreme quality, yet pitiful yields compared to many other more commercial strains. The Cookies lines generally make up for flower size with bud density. It's just how they grow. However, those micro nugs create a great opportunity for SOG plants simply because you have an upright growth profile with flowers that stay small, allow for air flow, and stack fairly well if the light height is constantly adjusted to maintain equal spacing between internodes as the plant grows.

This could provide you with a completely different style of flowers than what currently dominates your market and still be compatible with SOG.

The more you keep leaning towards fat indicas with low stretch and WIDE fan leaves which block light to lower flowers, the more issues you are going to have with plants in such tight parameters. Certainly not saying it isn't possible, just complicates things and creates environmental issues that will need to be addressed and adjusted for.

dank.Frank

Yeah, I want a commercial cash-crop strain that suits my needs and is easy to grow. But still really strong weed.

Sounds like you’re just going to have to pop beans to find the right one.

Seeing that your just cropping, what are your plans for when flavour changes? The “strongest” strains get played out, especially because your now providing a service, these people are going to want your product still.. right? What’s the next “strongest” stuff up next?

You plan on making polyhybrids anyways, so it’s going to take probably 6-7 months to find a right one. What are the chances your gong to have the numbers you need to start cropping again immediately, with “the one”?

Sounds like you don’t have time for that, based on your just cropping.

If you want to start cropping with you’re own gear as fast as possible you could possibly harvest feminized pollen from a proven clone, but you’d still have to test beans, and find that clone.

If you already have good genetics on the go, why not keep everything in rotation to keep the flavors flowing, and just pop beans on the side?

seanprice183

Your totaly righ[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]t dank.frank! If it was a competition to produce max G/Watt/m2 [/FONT]Without height restriction, I would choose amnesia haze x OG. So I can imagine that biker x haze delivers. But now the circumstances are different.
I have a retard who will handle that grow and quite low roof. :dunno: To this cross I have already chosen my sativa hybrid and it is tutankhamon.
It is our absolut favorite strain to grow and the one who managed to deal with all ill-treatment without problems while other strains died. As you say, it's possible to choose phenotypes, and then find some pheno that has Tut's grow-habit but little more indica in the effect. Thats is my goal. Of course, it is not possible to know exactly how a strain will be, but you can choose phenos according to what you like. What indica would you choose?
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [/FONT]

Treevly

"Or suck all greenhouse strains?"

I need an interpreter for that.
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]

seanprice183

Sean- you mentioned wanting oldschool, Indica Dom, and not too tall, just a few random thoughts

Shiva Skunk
Mr. Nice (G13xHP)

How about Bodhi strains that use 88G13/HP as the male?

I don't know but i think NL is a better choise than shiva, but G13 is definitely worth considering if I can find seeds. It will have high thc and huge yield.

I don't have time ore space to test grow all indicas so i thought that maby some one had a great tips.

X

xavier7995

Holy crap dank frank makes some rad posts, well written!

Given the four choices, i would go with black domina. As you say, it could bring a lot to the table regarding palate and such, it would definitely be different than the hazes around. Cookies is a good idea as well. I would think you could find potent enough plants in any of those pairings, you could do a row of each and then pick a favorite.

A

AVOH

I think the simply irresistible is a good contender for a sog
Reaches for the sky and fills down to the ground