What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Is Coca Leaf the Next Medical Marijuana?

Phaeton

Speed of Dark
Veteran
A minor problem with the conclusion drawn by the authors.

I grow my own poppies and marijuana for self medication. The poppies cannot be abused when used in their natural unprocessed form.
Coca leaves cannot be abused for the same reasons, the amount needed to be ingested is beyond most human limits for disastrous results. Too much water will kill you, but it is difficult to get enough in the stomach quickly enough. Same principle.
Both will likely remain illegal because of the power of their refined chemicals.
I have a friend in the Matanuska Valley that grows his own Coca for self medication, also his own coffee and marijuana, one of those leftover hippies from long ago.
But I can see some greedy person planting acres of Coca and refining it for profit if cuttings were widely available.
So can the feds.

If you like fresh Jalapenos then Coca leaves will fit right in, the ashes from the fire pit neutralize the fire in the leaves, they are spicy.

St. Phatty

I would love to try it the way the Indians did it, chewing it & going on long walks in the forest.

I think a lot of our Cannabis grow skills would come in handy with other plants :woohoo:

troutman

Seed Whore
I grew a coca plant once. Mine was a Erythroxylum novogranatense var. novogranatense. They are not easy
to grow like Cannabis and can live for years. The soil has to be like below pH 6.0 or the plants will suffer and
eventually die. pH 5.5 being the ideal and real soil is what you want. An iron rich clay-loam is basically what
they like. The water has to be devoid of calcium also or they suffer. Rain water is the best.

Coca plants kind look like tea plants and most people including police would never know what they are. :tiphat:

Slim Pickens

Veteran
I wanted to grow some myself.I lived in Se Asia where it is/was native,but even mentioning looking for anything like this would get you fingered as a dealer.

Hard part is getting a plant,or seed that is viable.

coldcanna

Veteran
I wanted to grow some myself.I lived in Se Asia where it is/was native,but even mentioning looking for anything like this would get you fingered as a dealer.

Hard part is getting a plant,or seed that is viable.

Good point, any Maggers know where to get this type of seed?

Tudo

Troublemaker
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I had the great fotune back in the 70's to be invited to visit the local grow so to speak on an island that is Colombian , San Andres off the coast of Nicaragua, and they had what looked like a worm gear mounted on a tree stump and were grinding away sugar cane and coca which was in a sort of juice that dripped into a gallon jug and since I was the welcomed guest from up yonder, I was handed the jub 1st to drink from and all I can say is I've never had anything else like it :woohoo:

Easy7

Veteran
There was a website that sold seedlings in a tube or seeds. The are not viable very long.

I see zero problems with coca leaf. But yep, someone would make a cocaine extract sooner or later. It's just not very viable to grow it here. Yields poorly for extraction indoors and outdoors not enough UV for potent leaf and the climate just ain't perfect.

Very high in calcium. Kratom leaf is my preferred method of use. Zero side effects from chewing on kratom leaf. Have had coca tea and didn't care for it. Perhaps chewing on a leaf would be different?

I don't think any plant/fungi should be illegal in it's natural form. Obviously pure extracts are different. Aside from cannabis extracts, which are perfectly safe and not harmful.

Green Squall

I have a friend in the Matanuska Valley that grows his own Coca for self medication, also his own coffee and marijuana, one of those leftover hippies from long ago.
But I can see some greedy person planting acres of Coca and refining it for profit if cuttings were widely available.
So can the feds.

If you like fresh Jalapenos then Coca leaves will fit right in, the ashes from the fire pit neutralize the fire in the leaves, they are spicy.

How did your friend use the Coca leaves? I've read that the traditional way is to keep it in your mouth with an alkaline substance, similar to how someone would use dip. Unfortunately, it will never become legal for the reasons you mentioned.

From a Novel I read:

"Whilst in Stockholm, Stephen visits an apothecary's shop to buy laudanum. He inquires about the coca or cuca leaf from Peru and the apothecary replies, 'It is said to dissolve the gross humours and do away with appetite.' Stephen buys a pound and the coca leaf eventually comes to replace his opium habit in later novels. He carries the leaves in a pouch and lime in a small silver box. When he feels the need for it, he simply rolls the leaves into a ball and pops them into his cheek with lime."

Slim Pickens

Veteran
There was a website that sold seedlings in a tube or seeds. The are not viable very long.

I see zero problems with coca leaf. But yep, someone would make a cocaine extract sooner or later. It's just not very viable to grow it here. Yields poorly for extraction indoors and outdoors not enough UV for potent leaf and the climate just ain't perfect.

Very high in calcium. Kratom leaf is my preferred method of use. Zero side effects from chewing on kratom leaf. Have had coca tea and didn't care for it. Perhaps chewing on a leaf would be different?

I don't think any plant/fungi should be illegal in it's natural form. Obviously pure extracts are different. Aside from cannabis extracts, which are perfectly safe and not harmful.

Kratom would interest me if I could find a vendor for a plant.I did find one some time ago.but they never did reply to my inquiries.

Poppy is something anyone in the US can grow from readily available seed...making sure that papaver somniferum is the variety bought.

G.O. Joe

Veteran
The leaf has been on the internet as tea for a long time, if you want to try it or extracting. Don't count on it being around forever if it becomes more popular. It took a city dying of AIDS to get the MMJ ball rolling.

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
This is the little wrapper that held the tea bags I use to buy in Panama..

It actually tasted like pretty decent tea..
It was nothing like doing a line of the stuff I could get real cheap down there, but it was still a nice energizing buzz..
Much more like coke than strong coffee... stronger than a green tea buzz, yet different..

I wish I had brought home more...

Attachments

• tea bag 1.jpg
    tea bag 1.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 13
  • tea bag 2.jpg
    tea bag 2.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 10

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
When I was in Ecuador a couple years ago, I was given Coca tea to help with altitude sickness. I didn't know it was *that coca. lol. I should have brought some home. I will next time I go.

St. Phatty

Big Pharma can't afford for commonly available plants to constitute the pharmacopeia of American medicine, as it did from 1776 to about 1930 in the US.

referring to Tinctures of Cannabis, Opium, and Cocaine that were available to the nation's pharmacists.

In 1930, no money was going to Big Pharma.

They definitely don't want a repeat of that.

That's why they use the DEA as an enforcer in their crime organization.

It's also related to them killing discussion of the link between SSRI/SNRI use (and SSRI/SNRI withdrawal) and violent tantrums involving firearms.

Rocky Mtn Squid

EL CID SQUID
Veteran
Coca Tea

Coca Tea

A long time ago, I had a crazy girlfriend that use to bring back coca leaves from Peru. She use to give me sandwich bags of it, and I made tea with it. Security and airport customs were much different back then, so it was easier to stuff it in your bag and bring it back with you. Nonetheless it was still highly illegal, and is still to this day. Now, with hightened security, dogs and electronic sniffers, your chances of getting away with are low and ill advised.

I found it to be an excellent upper if you didn't over indulge.

Even though it is not considered to be an indigenous plant, coca grows wild in Hawaii. Dutch settlers brought it with them and use to grow it the late 1800's. Somehow these same plants started growing wild, and exist to this day. I've seen them.

RMS

:smoweed:

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
A long time ago, I had a crazy girlfriend that use to bring back coca leaves from Peru. She use to give me sandwich bags of it, and I made tea with it. Security and airport customs were much different back then, so it was easier to stuff it in your bag and bring it back with you. Nonetheless it was still highly illegal, and is still to this day. Now, with hightened security, dogs and electronic sniffers, your chances of getting away with are low and ill advised.

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=1936&pictureid=1863540&thumb=1]View Image[/url]

I found it to be an excellent upper if you didn't over indulge.

Even though it is not considered to be an indigenous plant, coca grows wild in Hawaii. Dutch settlers brought it with them and use to grow it the late 1800's. Somehow these same plants started growing wild, and exist to this day. I've seen them.

RMS

:smoweed:
You can buy it in commercial packaging. Just like Salada Tea. I'll ship a case to myself next time.