What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Potency issues with distillate

Hey guys I've been running into some issues with my distillation potency, and I feel like it is happening at my winterization/filtration.

My distillate is coming out at ~75% D9THC and ~4% THCa, I have a UPLC and a background in analytical chemistry so I am confident that this is accurate. I run a spinning band instrument for my distillation and during my main body fraction I can visibly see striations in my oil. My mantle temp during the main body is ~200c, vacuum is at 0.01mmhg or 10micron, vapor temp at ~255c. The distillate smells great, tastes great, is almost transparent - if put into a vape pen it doesn't even look filled - but the potency is relatively low.

During distillation I don't collect the body fraction until it is well into the correct ranges for C-21 fractions, and usually end my fraction once the color begins to change or if my mantle/vapor temp delta starts to stray.

I have tested my winterized oil prior to the run and it came back at ~55% D9THC. I dilute my crude oil pretty significantly in ethanol, put it into a freezer at -20c for 24 horus, and preform the first filtration within the freezer. I filter through dual hochstrom filters using 1 micron pore filter paper at 300torr. After the initial filtration I allow the material to freeze for 24 hours. Before the second filtration I add carbon and filter through another 1 micron hochstrom at 200torr.

Admittedly I have not ran potency on my crude oil, but I am using a Co2 SFE and get a TON of fat. I generally extract ~10% potency trim.

I am absolutely dumb-founded as to why my potency on my distillate is so low. Other people utilizing the same distillation techniques are hitting 85%++. Any tips, tricks, or general discussion would be greatly appreciated.

irishf0x

The THCA is odd...

Do you have additional standards for cannabinoid isomers for your HPLC?

Resonance time is most likely not the culprit if you have a spinning band.

If you have faith in your HPLC work then isomerization or cracking may be happening.

I only have my curve set to quantify CBDa, CBD, CBN, D9-THC, and THCa. I think I'm going to order D8-THC on the next round of standards, are there any other that would be helpful? I would like to avoid too many cannabinoids as I would eventually have co-eluting peaks and it wouldn't be as clean of a calibration curve... just more work really.

Roji

I only have my curve set to quantify CBDa, CBD, CBN, D9-THC, and THCa. I think I'm going to order D8-THC on the next round of standards, are there any other that would be helpful? I would like to avoid too many cannabinoids as I would eventually have co-eluting peaks and it wouldn't be as clean of a calibration curve... just more work really.

cbg, cbc and thcv

prune

Veteran
because I know virtually nothing about the process I would have to go with the razor thingy and wildly guess that the carbon is absorbing what is disappearing...

superglue

as stated above, the thc-a seems odd, it should have been decarbed

the vapor temp of 255c (491f) seems pretty warm also
i'm assuming you are using a short path head with those numbers

i use a homemade kugelrohr type unit and the thc has eluted at about 400f to 425f depending on the freshness of the pump oil, cbd at between 375f-410f

once in a while when i cook the shit out of it ,450f range, trying to get the last bits,the oil will be darker and it tests as d8 thc on my gc-fid
btw, it's rare to see any cbn in the product and to be clear i use restek standards so the cbd and d8thc peaks are very obvious

fwiw