What's new

How long can we store flowers after harvest ?

Gizmo

Hello guys, i have a simple question, how long can i keep my flowers when its dried, trimmed and vacuum sealed ?

HarvestMoon303

Hello guys, i have a simple question, how long can i keep my flowers when its dried, trimmed and vacuum sealed ?

Me love you long time. I've kept it for over a year, but it certainly wasn't the quality that went in. Your biggest enemies are mold (get it dry) and light. Temps would ideally be cooler, but mine wasn't and it was ok to smoke, but degraded for sure.

If you cure it 10 mins 2x a day for 14 days and then jar up and put in your fridge it will stay really good. I've smoked stuff that was still really bomb after a year. Get a freezer for even longer term storage but I've never tried it.

BOMBAYCAT

Veteran
I normally get rid of mine after a year or so because it slowly degrades in quality. Heat, light and air are enemies of good pot. You said it was vacuum sealed? Throw it in the freezer if you have the room, not refrigerator (too humid) and it should be good for awhile.

Gizmo

thank you guys, i hoped i could keep it a year vacum sealed in a cold dry place with no freezer but vacum sealed + freezer must be the best option, youre right

I wood

Up to two years in an airtight container in a freezer, still delicious.

Do not wrap it in an oblong shape and write," vegetarian burrito " on it, or it could be microwaved by your mom on accident. Tragic at the time but makes a good story after that.

Gizmo

do you know if mini freezer, very small exist ? like 2 gallons freezer to put 2 pounds inside ?

HarvestMoon303

I normally get rid of mine after a year or so because it slowly degrades in quality. Heat, light and air are enemies of good pot. You said it was vacuum sealed? Throw it in the freezer if you have the room, not refrigerator (too humid) and it should be good for awhile.

Will water/humidity pass through a vacuum-sealed package? Seems like it wouldn't.

2000pm

I just finished some bud stored 2 years, most of it in a jar with a boveda and it was still worth the vape. Of course by this time most of the volatile terpenes have offgassed unless you are storing vacuum sealed and temp controlled but I was surprised at the amount of the dominant terpene (limonene) was still left in the sample. Effects were still good as well. Most/all of the chlorophyll had gone by this point leaving a golden bud and a smooth flavor/vape.

brown_thumb

I wonder if vacuum sealing in aluminized mylar bags and either refrigerated or frozen would keep dried/cured bugs for several years.

Gizmo

i just finished to read many articles about storing cannabis and if vacuum sealed, storing in the fridge is no problem, so better to vaccum sealed in bags multiple times and put in another air tight container

brown_thumb

i just finished to read many articles about storing cannabis and if vacuum sealed, storing in the fridge is no problem, so better to vaccum sealed in bags multiple times and put in another air tight container

There's no need to vacuum seal in several bags (one inside another, inside another) if one uses truly air-tight aluminized mylar bags. Only one bag is necessary to completely seal out all gasses. They're also completely light-tight.

Gizmo

yes you probably right but i was thinking of regular foodsaver plastic bags, im not familiar with aluminized mylar bags and i dont know if i can have these kind of bags where iam, it must be another machine than foodsaver too no ? its bags used by pharmaceutical company isn't it ? i only saw these kind of bags in a documentary abou soma from soma seeds where we see some people packaging cannabis in nederland, its at 2min https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idaODfZQUIo

brown_thumb

yes you probably right but i was thinking of regular foodsaver plastic bags, im not familiar with aluminized mylar bags and i dont know if i can have these kind of bags where iam, it must be another machine than foodsaver too no ? its bags used by pharmaceutical company isn't it ? i only saw these kind of bags in a documentary abou soma from soma seeds where we see some people packaging cannabis in nederland, its at 2min https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idaODfZQUIo

Aluminized mylar bags is how the makers of freeze-dried foods can ensure a 25 years self life of spoilable goods... that and dry vacuum canning. :)

brown_thumb

mmm interesting i will check this machine for sure :)

I suspect it won't works as well with cannabis vs. freeze-dried goods because the optimal moisture content is very different. Still, it seems the combination of vacuum sealing in absolutely airtight and light-tight bags combined with refrigeration would be optimal.

Gizmo

yes you're right it must be optimal like that, i dont think freezing is really necessary, i will double vacuum sealed first for security and then the mylar bags and in a fridge, the only thing im still wondering is it possible to vacum sealed in bags like foodsaver without pressing/compressing the buds too much