What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Seeds of the 70's

BuddyLuv

First off I would like you to know that I have one successful grow under my belt. I am a new grower. Now to my story/question. 38 years ago when I was in college I smoked some bud back then that was some of the best weed I had ever seen or smoked in my life. Hard almost black buds as I remember it. Also I remember I was told it was from Indonesia.
I was going through some boxes the other day and found an old stash box in my old college stuff. I had forgotten about the seeds for many years because I was not able to grow. Well I found those seeds. Almost 40 years old now. I found 2 packs of seeds. I don't remember what the others are but I have close to 30 seeds. I would not have saved seeds back then unless they were absolutely killer. Will these germinate? I don't want to screw them up. I honestly think they are something very special. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

corky1968

Veteran
I was just reading online that some people have soaked seeds in a little hydrogen peroxide to first wash
the bacteria, fungi, etc. from old seeds. Then they used water to rinse the hydrogen peroxide away. It
said that bacteria and other seeds pests just wait until the seed cracks and then attack the old weak
seedling inside. Fresh seeds grow fast enough and avoid succumbing to such pests.

I just tried germinating what seemed to be very old seeds a few weeks ago.

They germinated and all died afterwards. I bet those seed pests finished them off. :moon:

I'll do more research on this hydrogen peroxide seed sterilization as this could be useful to know.

Thule

Dr. Narrowleaf
Veteran
Can you take a picture of those? You might have some Sumatran tripping weed seeds. Unless they were stored in a cool dark place I doubt they will sprout. Almost certainly they won't. Be sure not to sow all of them, we aren't that far from being able to start tissue cultures from seeds. Also the dna could tell us where it originated (before getting to Indonesia)

BuddyLuv

I will try to do that later. They were in a film canister in my garage. Cool in the winter and warm in the summer. Thanks for the info Thule.

BuddyLuv

attachment.php
attachment.php

These are the seeds I mentioned. Almost 40 years old. Two different packages. One bigger pack were the ones I spoke of. The others are from the same period of time. Just not sure what they are. Perhaps some Thai stick from back in the day. I do know if I saved them they are exceptional.

thejact55

I was gifted with a "California indica" from 1978 a few months back. I have 22 seeds, tried popping 2. I got one to cracks it's she'll but the white tap root went to mush immediately. When I'm ready, Ima try to pop all 20 left in hopes of 1 or 2 making it. Thanks for the idea on peroxide, will have to try that.
Not as cool or exotic as some Sumatra but excited to see if there is anything good in these seeds.

Good luck with yours. Hopefully that warm cold cycle didn't hurt em too much. Curious eyes are watching this.

Mystic Funk

hey.
I would do some research first before you try and pop those seeds. there are many threads on seed germinating here. also I would try and get your method down first. try and pop some other seeds first then try a couple of the old ones. it would really suck to loose all of them you could have something really nice there.

good luck!
-mystic

BuddyLuv

I am not ready at this point. Will be later this winter or early spring.I am having shoulder surgery as soon as I harvest and cure my outdoor plants. Gonna lay me up for 3 months. But I will be sure to let you know when I begin. Need to get myself more educated on the subject as Mystic suggests. Since I have only grown from clones I have zero experience at germinating anything. Any members live in the PNW.?

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
The ratio for the hydrogen peroxide is 1 to 20 parts water 15 minutes. If you go that route. Use distilled water and heating mat with temp controller. A bit of Superthrive and molasses in the water for a soak and then into paper towels or dirt. Scuff em before all that. That is how I am gonna go with my next batch which are getting pretty old.

You were PungentPete over the way hehe.

Yea, save a few back and maybe Chimera can bring them back from the dead with tissue culture and make some for the rest of us. Sumatran sounds like a winner.

BuddyLuv

Very observant Yesum. Yes that is I. I am trying to gather all the info I can from as many expert growers as possible. I don't want to screw this up. I will only have a couple of opportunities to do this right. Thank you for the directions Yesum. I knew someone would spot me.. I would love to be able to share if it pans out.

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
He is is a breeder here. I have not heard of anyone offering old time Sumatran seeds for sale. Just a thought in case you get them going or are interested in such.

PDX Dopesmoker

I am not ready at this point. Will be later this winter or early spring.I am having shoulder surgery as soon as I harvest and cure my outdoor plants. Gonna lay me up for 3 months. But I will be sure to let you know when I begin. Need to get myself more educated on the subject as Mystic suggests. Since I have only grown from clones I have zero experience at germinating anything. Any members live in the PNW.?

Lots of us here, but I don't know any more on the topic than you do. I used to be pretty OK at getting seeds of the 1980s to pop, but that was a long time ago. Hopefully someone can help you if you need help.
The film canister seems like it might have been a good choice. 40 years of good protection from ambient high energy radiation probably helped those fragile genes survive. Unfortunately hemp seed oil also tends to go rancid if stored at room temperature for too long, so that might be bad news.
Good luck, hope it works out. Everyone is going to want the retro clones from you if it does.

Croissant

Yeah contact chimera he is a breeder here and his thing is being a nerd on all the most up to date inovations of cannabis breeding. Hopefully they have found the way to jurrasic park old seeds already.

BuddyLuv

Maybe Chimera resides in my neck of the woods. I am not looking to sell but I would share with the right person who would be willing to use their expertise and include me in the education process. This is very important to me. And I take it very seriously. I must get these to germinate and will not try until I am absolutely sure that they have the best possible chance to be survive.

TDK

Veteran
wheres the pics from beans?

sounds very good..:peacock:

Atm i would say read much over old seed germ methodes.
Then accept that there can be possible that nothing grow up.
When you try it after input , try first the half beans.

regards
:tiphat:

rykus

There is a seed sprouted someone on here designed that uses a few totes and a fish tank heater to make a sterile germination chamber that I am going to copy to try n sprout some older seeds... I've already killed quite a few... The hydrogen peroxide helps a lot, as does consistent temps... Still might be too old.

Good luck!

Lrus007

Veteran
i would chill them in the fridge a week or two.
then they might sprout better. when they warm up to sprout.
Lrus007

Latest posts

Latest posts