What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

First time grow; 1 sqft, 136 Watt CFL, 12/12 from seed

Murdakaii

You're girls look like they're on the right path man. I'm interested in how that auto NL is doing under 12/12 lighting. From what I can tell all three look good, but I've noticed you haven't mentioned much about the NL. Has it showed you it's lady parts yet?

Thanks guys.

You're girls look like they're on the right path man. I'm interested in how that auto NL is doing under 12/12 lighting. From what I can tell all three look good, but I've noticed you haven't mentioned much about the NL. Has it showed you it's lady parts yet?

The Northern Lights was actually the first to show sex by about five days. It started off really slow compared to the other two and I thought it was because it was an auto under 12/12. I also thought about pulling it because it stayed so small for so long but I decided it's already growing, might as well let it grow and then it took off.

Now it's out growing the other two. That picture of the group of buds/bud sites from yesterday is of the Northern Lights.

From what I've read, auto strains will take the same amount of time to grow under any lighting and doing a 12/12 schedule will just reduce yield, which I'm ok with for this grow.

I also switched them to a 11/13 lighting schedule five days ago and intend to drop it again to a 10/14 in a couple days until they finish. I've read they only *need* 6 hours of light a day and light damages the sex hormone that matures the flowers. The idea is that the increased dark time will produce more of the sex hormone which will allow them to mature faster at the cost of yield.

I'm not expecting or even hoping for a big yield for this grow, I just want a compact grow without experimenting with training and ideally a finish in under 70 days from seed which puts me almost at the half way point now.

Maybe some more experienced gardeners can chime in with their opinions about if I'll make it or not.

If I get a dry ounce between all three I'll be :yay:

Day 32;

al70

Veteran
Thanks guys.

The Northern Lights was actually the first to show sex by about five days. It started off really slow compared to the other two and I thought it was because it was an auto under 12/12. I also thought about pulling it because it stayed so small for so long but I decided it's already growing, might as well let it grow and then it took off.

Now it's out growing the other two. That picture of the group of buds/bud sites from yesterday is of the Northern Lights.

From what I've read, auto strains will take the same amount of time to grow under any lighting and doing a 12/12 schedule will just reduce yield, which I'm ok with for this grow.

I also switched them to a 11/13 lighting schedule five days ago and intend to drop it again to a 10/14 in a couple days until they finish. I've read they only *need* 6 hours of light a day and light damages the sex hormone that matures the flowers. The idea is that the increased dark time will produce more of the sex hormone which will allow them to mature faster at the cost of yield.

I'm not expecting or even hoping for a big yield for this grow, I just want a compact grow without experimenting with training and ideally a finish in under 70 days from seed which puts me almost at the half way point now.

Maybe some more experienced gardeners can chime in with their opinions about if I'll make it or not.

If I get a dry ounce between all three I'll be :yay:

Day 32;
[URL="https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=48627&pictureid=1141576&thumb=1"]View Image[/URL]
it's possible mate, i think ye should give em a little lst, let the light in mate, take a few fans off, ye won't regret it, goodluck.

al70

Veteran
What kind of recovery time would I be looking at? That's my only concern with trimming leaves.
just a couple o days mike, just remove a couple o leaves every couple o days so not to shock em too much, i stripped mine of maybe ten or fifteen leaves every couple o days but i overdone it (just experimenting), but done properly (just my opinion dealing with one strain) it certainly increased my yield, i also trained the shit outa them, if both techniques are tuned in properly the results are amazing, goodluck.

al70

Veteran
just a couple o days mike, just remove a couple o leaves every couple o days so not to shock em too much, i stripped mine of maybe ten or fifteen leaves every couple o days but i overdone it (just experimenting), but done properly (just my opinion dealing with one strain) it certainly increased my yield, i also trained the shit outa them, if both techniques are tuned in properly the results are amazing, goodluck.
i never let the fans mature.