What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Tips on Increasing BHO yield

Hey fellow icmaggers!

I have been making oil for a little while using a standard stainless steel okief tube. I always keep my tane in the freezer as with the tube and the bud that I run. The bud is always frozen dried or a little cured. I use one 300ml can of tane per tube run, which is about 14gs or so.

I purge using a few hot water baths then 5 mins in the oven at about 75C. I cant seem to crack over 10% on my yield!! That is even re blowing the same material over again. I read about all these people getting 20% and more it is driving me insane!!

So I am calling out to you icmaggers!! Please help me increase my oil yield!! :1help:

RulaTone

Veteran
let it dry more, water somewhat stops butane. Press buds in the tube tightly.
find better genetics.

Greyskull

Twice as clear as heaven and twice as loud as reas
ICMag Donor
Veteran
for me the quality of the product to blast is the most paramount factor for yeild.
better quality buds/trims = better quality bho & greater yeild vs lower quality buds & trim

that what you need to do.

thats the difference between 4g/OZ & 6g/OZ return

ime/o

good luck

The material is always well dried and I pack my tube nice and tight. I guess it could be the material. I thought it was pretty decent stuff. It is not homegrown though. My last ounce I ran I only got 2.8gs. I am thinking about blasting the stuff for a third time to see if there is anything left. Sheesh I would even be happy with 4gs from a Oz!!

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
We've ranged from 5.8% to 27%+, so genetics count.

That yield is from material with about 10% water content, which has been sized through a 10 mesh screen, with all the lumber taken out, and is packed firmly. We examine afterwards with a microscope, to tell when we have it all.

ZEROorDIE

i agree with everyone who mentioned the quality of the product going in.

if your weed only contains 10% thc by vol. then thats all you can possibly get out of it.

gunnaknow

A tube will give excellent quality BHO but it won't maximize the yield, even with two runs. If you want to maximize yield then you need to let the bud/trim sit in the solvent for quite a long time. You could still run it through your tube, to get the highest grade BHO but you'd then want to let the bud/trim soak for a second time, for much longer. A good vessel to inable a long soak is a thermos. You could also use a cafetiere. Below is a pic of two BHO samples. The first sample is from an initial 10 minute soak and the second sample is from a secondary 30-40 minute soak. As you can see, time is a critical factor in maximizing your yield. So too is the quality of the starting material, as others have said.

http://www.uk420.com/boards/index.p...ttach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=360111

señorsloth

Veteran
A tube will give excellent quality BHO but it won't maximize the yield, even with two runs. If you want to maximize yield then you need to let the bud/trim sit in the solvent for quite a long time. You could still run it through your tube, to get the highest grade BHO but you'd then want to let the bud/trim soak for a second time, for much longer. A good vessel to inable a long soak is a thermos. You could also use a cafetiere.
really? after two runs through a tube i usually can't get much of anything from it, you do get a bit but i figured it couldn't be more than a few % of the total yeild...

i have never tried the thermos method but will it honestly give you enough extra yeild to be worth it? and doesn't it taste funny after a long soak?

gunnaknow

Hey senorsloth, if you check my post again, you'll see that I added a link while you were writing your post. This shows that there is still something to be gained from a second, longer wash. As to whether it's worth it, that's for each individual to decide. Seeing how the thread subject is regarding the maximizing of yield, the original poster may well consider it worth it. As for the taste, it's not as clean tasting as the first quick wash but it's still of good quality.

gunna

oceangrownkush

Veteran
A tube will give excellent quality BHO but it won't maximize the yield, even with two runs. If you want to maximize yield then you need to let the bud/trim sit in the solvent for quite a long time. You could still run it through your tube, to get the highest grade BHO but you'd then want to let the bud/trim soak for a second time, for much longer. A good vessel to inable a long soak is a thermos. You could also use a cafetiere. Below is a pic of two BHO samples. The first sample is from an initial 10 minute soak and the second sample is from a secondary 30-40 minute soak. As you can see, time is a critical factor in maximizing your yield. So too is the quality of the starting material, as others have said.

http://www.uk420.com/boards/index.p...ttach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=360111

Thats interesting. How do you get the butane to stay liquid? Doesn't it all evaporate?

Would like to try this.

pip313

Build a metal tube to do the butane, I'm not sure what kind of metal but I know someone here will help with that. Have the tube sealed on one end. On the other end use a high pressure valve on a removable but strong screw on cap. Freeze butane can and tube filled with plant matter 10c below butane's boiling point. Spray butane from can into tube and when tube is 3/4 full stop spraying and close valve. Shake a few times and place in ice water and salt. Wait 5 minutes and shake again. Wait 2 minutes then open valve and drain butane into a dish and wait for it to evaporate.

I have never done this however its basically the same as working with any other solvent except butane must be kept cold.

If your growing sativas as your name suggests, they have less total resin than indicas or typical hybrids

Jibman

Just ran a tube earlier with one ounce of small lower buds of Jedi. Got just over 10% return. I can get 20-25% using OG trim or nugs. Most strains seem to give below 20 and many below 15. It is what it is. Strain selection does matter. And of course quality of the trim/nugs.

a vacuum flask is actually not used to keep butane liquid...u may b getting confused w something else...a vac flask is a standard glass flask (diff sizes) with a vac tube connector coming off one side of the column part...you attach a buchner funnel with filter to the top of the flask with a stopper and then turn on the vacuum..now instead of letting your shit drip through a coffee filter w gravity its pulled w vacuum into the vacuum flask...... anyways just wanted to clear that up..i think gunna know had mentioned something about a vac flask keeping gas liquid like as in under vacuum? maybe he meant?

heres a link to a thread w a vacc flask...its used for filtering ..

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=232295&page=2

the flask with the big white funnel on top