What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Air Pots Or Smart Pots

bonedaddy

i am also interested in some info on using smart pots. i want to do a grow out in the country. the drive is about 45 minutes away so i,m looking for a good soil mix that i can use that will last for 7 days in 20 gall smart pots. has anyone tried using polymer crystals in the soil mix to help retain water? i,m experimenting right now with a 20 gall smartie but i havent come up with a good mix that will stay moist for 7 days or so. it gets real hot here for about 4 months so that will be my most important times for watering. i,m lucky to have water close by where my pots will be. thanx for any info.....peace!

Green_fingerz

hey Buddaluva whats going on so i ran in to your post and im running both right now 15 to 20 gallon pots with platinum purple and they both seem to be doing awesome way better then regular pots it just drys the soil faster so meaning more watering feeds but end results are great

Question for those that used smart pots as I'm trying to decide between the two but I'm leaning toward the smart pot.

Do you have to put the smart pot on some kind of stand to have an airspace so the roots that would come out the bottom of the bag actually air prune and not spin out or can you leave it on the ground and the roots will prune fine?

I like that more air gets to the smart pot and that they are cheaper (especially if you get a knock off ie roots pouch). But I like that the air pots have a built in airspace underneath for drainage and root pruning. Also helps they last longer.

N

noyd666

smart pots. sitting at least 6 months outside, roots appear at edge, then disappear, have not used the other sort.:biggrin: air pot.

Last edited:
N

noyd666

i stripped one down to av a look, could hear roots ripping from bottom as skin rolled off, i would have to pull root ball apart to check root system, but you can see how healthy the plant is. they are smart pots usa.:gday:

N

noyd666

Question for those that used smart pots as I'm trying to decide between the two but I'm leaning toward the smart pot.

Do you have to put the smart pot on some kind of stand to have an airspace so the roots that would come out the bottom of the bag actually air prune and not spin out or can you leave it on the ground and the roots will prune fine?

I like that more air gets to the smart pot and that they are cheaper (especially if you get a knock off ie roots pouch). But I like that the air pots have a built in airspace underneath for drainage and root pruning. Also helps they last longer.
:biggrin: these pots below have upturned plastic saucer under them.

rangergord

Airpots are more different than smartpots than the same. I think smartpots have their place. I would try them for plants started indoors and going outdoors for example. My experience though is with airpots. They are worth the price IMHO because they get the roots off the floor or whatever survace you are on. Less salt buildup and excellent root growth due to lots of air and soil moisture that dries out quickly. Smartpots sit in their excrement like any other pot and if the sides of the pots touch another pot or surface the air pruning does not work in that spot. Its your choice, just try to pick based on your needs not just the price.

DamnUglyDogE

Learning the rules well,so as to break them effect
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I for one am having fun with both...
Each has it's place yet both are well worth using.

Using with coco/perlite with a media pop top wick.

Notice how the root spin in the wick (plastic no holes) and not the coco edge.

Thought y'all might like ta see..
Peace..

Crusader Rabbit

Veteran
picture.php
RootMaker Containers

They are hard injection molded plastic, easy to move around when full. Root pruning design, ridges inside direct roots towards openings keeping roots from circling at the bottom or packing tight along the sides. Real easy transplant, rootball comes right out. I use the one gallon size with coco. I can easily grab a plant and move it with one hand. They make a three and a five gallon size too. The 3 gallon size fits on a five gallon bucket. Greentrees Hydroponics carries them.

The manufacturer makes other root pruning containers too.

skyview

Alien Dawg - since you're using and like both, what do you think makes the Airpots worth the extra cost?

DamnUglyDogE

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Air pots offer.
More stability. (Hard plastic)
More versatility- you can take 2 or more Air pots and clip them together and make a larger pot. Using 1/4" chicken wire on the bottom of the larger pot.

Easier to transplant with Air pots as well
Since all ya do is un wrap the side and boom (undamaged roots)

Though smartz are easy ta transplant as well by rolling sides down. (More likely to damage roots)

I also believe the air pots will last longer.

From what I read and see myself.
Im thinking smarts are good for 3-7 grows.

Air pots.. 100+ grows..lol.

Air pots also have a solid 2" rim (no holes) which would allow you ta fill with water and let soak into soil.
2 cents...

Peace..

DamnUglyDogE

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Alien Dawg - thanks! That's really good information. What kind of system are you using to water?

I run coco/perlite with a pulse fed PPK system and jacks hydro... easy $ and fast growth... dig it...:biggrin:

DamnUglyDogE

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Smartz have handles.. Add 2 pieces of wire and Air pots do to..lol

Phychotron

its hella easy to transfer from the airpots. Especially the 1L.

Unscrew the side, unwrap the pot from the soil, and make sure not to forget to take the bottom off before transfering.

picture.php

Last edited: