What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

3'x3' tent w/ 600watt HPS. How many plants should I grow?

I'm going to be starting a organic soil grow in a 3ft x 3ft grow tent with a 600watt light.

I'm wondering what would be the best number of plants to grow in this tent?

I believe the tent comes with 12 2-gallon pots but 12 plants seems like way to many for that small tent.

I've heard 1 plant per 100watts before, so that would be 6 plants. Does that sound right? More or less?

Thanks in advance for the help!
:thank you:

G

Guest 88950

are you in a med state?

you will get many different answers and most will work equally as well.

pesonal prefrence

i am moving from 10-15 smaller plants to 2 larger plants and im going to the same size tent. its easier for me to water 2 girls instead of reaching around watering 15 girls.

i have a continuous grow to supply my meds so having 15 girls at different harvest intervals is becoming a pain. harvesting 1 girl a month is better for me and it allows me to have many strains and staying under 25 plants. 25 & over is minimum mandatory jail time here.

simon

Weedomus Maximus
Veteran
I'm going to be starting a organic soil grow in a 3ft x 3ft grow tent with a 600watt light.

I'm wondering what would be the best number of plants to grow in this tent?

You can grow one plant or a hundred plants and achieve the same result. It depends on how you want to attack the situation. If it were me, I'd run 9 LST'd (like in the thread in my sig) plants; one per square foot, each plant with 6-8 main stems. If the genetics did not allow for that, I'd go for seven plants - 3 running down the center of the room and 2 on each side.

Do some reading and see what growing style you're most comfortable with. Then, things will fall into place a little easier. Good luck.

Simon

teh_piper

Depends how long your going to veg before flowering and the strain. 2 month veg and your tent will be packed full and look like a jungle with 9 plants of any decent strain.

I have a 6'x6'x12' room with 11 plants that has a canopy of 4'x4'. 4x4=16sq.ft and thats pushing the limit for 600watt HPS. I vegged for 1.5 months or to 18'', which was roughly 1.5-2 sq. ft. Strain is LUI, a large and bushy indica

A 600watt will ideally cover 9sq. ft which is what your 3'x3' tent will allow. So I'd shoot for 9-10 females and atleast a month veg or so that the plants take up a sq ft each. It depends on grow conditions and the strain. And sativas will grow up more than out and indica's will grow out more than up

Happy growing

Thanks for the help guys!

And SuperSilverHaze, this is not a legal medical grow. I never even considered checking out my state laws first and looking sentences for plant numbers. Is there any good place to find this info? or just use google?

simon

Weedomus Maximus
Veteran
Depends how long your going to veg before flowering and the strain. 2 month veg and your tent will be packed full and look like a jungle with 9 plants of any decent strain.

I have a 6'x6'x12' room with 11 plants that has a canopy of 4'x4'. 4x4=16sq.ft and thats pushing the limit for 600watt HPS. I vegged for 1.5 months or to 18'', which was roughly 1.5-2 sq. ft. Strain is LUI, a large and bushy indica

A 600watt will ideally cover 9sq. ft which is what your 3'x3' tent will allow. So I'd shoot for 9-10 females and atleast a month veg or so that the plants take up a sq ft each. It depends on grow conditions and the strain. And sativas will grow up more than out and indica's will grow out more than up

Happy growing

One of the nicer things about growing Canna is the mechanical-like precision that goes with it. In terms of veg time in setup described above, it's 4-5 weeks from seed for Indicas and Indica-doms, and 3-4 weeks from clone LST'd and pruned for no popcorn.

Simon

G

Guest 88950

you should at least know what laws and charges you might be facing so you can decide the ammount of risk to take.

im in fla so any poss of cann over 20 gms is felony and growing 1-24 carries the same penalties. over 25 and its minimum mandatory time and if there are any weapons add more time and if kids in the residence then add more time.

not knowing what you are up against only leads to big problems.

know your states laws regarding cannabis and know / exercise your rights.

do you have any expierence with growing?

I just checked out the penalty's in Wisconsin and they jump from
1-4 plants
5-20 plants
21-50 plants
51-200 plants
200+ plants

So if I stick to just 4 plants that would be the safest route for me.

So technically i should be able to yeild the same with 4 plants as I could with 9 plants???

My only other growing experience was from 2 outdoor bagseed grows. They were both sucessful but nothing special. I fed them nothing but tap water.

simon

Weedomus Maximus
Veteran
So technically i should be able to yeild the same with 4 plants as I could with 9 plants???

Absolutely. Things can get a little tricky from seed, but if you're conservative on the first run and flower the clones, it's not a problem to fill the space gainfully. Using the same examples as before, you'd flower 4 LST'd plants with 9-12 main stems vegged 4-6 weeks.

I fed them nothing but tap water.
We're going to have to work on that. :)

Simon

TheCatsMeow

what up rob? you definitely can get the same/better (or worse) yields with this combo of plants. its all about how much time you would like to invest into your vegetation growth cycle. your concerns about yield are more correlated to your space/light size(among a million other variables) rather than plant count

qbert

I just checked out the penalty's in Wisconsin and they jump from
1-4 plants
5-20 plants
21-50 plants
51-200 plants
200+ plants

So if I stick to just 4 plants that would be the safest route for me.

My only other growing experience was from 2 outdoor bagseed grows. They were both sucessful but nothing special. I fed them nothing but tap water.

Sounds like 4 plants is good for you. I run 9 in a 3x3, but the strains work well that way.

Genetics is an important factor. Some grow small some grow big, and you will want to find a pheno that fills up your tent nice with 4 plants (not all will).

3x3 with 600w is a nice setup. You'll get some good herb from that.

High Country

Give me a Kenworth truck, an 18 speed box and I'll
Veteran
Just for something different how about change the set up to a 3'x 3' ebb/flow tray, do hydro and grow a SOG. Female clones in at 4 per sq/ft, straight on to 12/12, 36 total. High yields, short turn around.

Mind you, where I live one plant is illegal.

Okay, so I think I'm going to just grow 4 plants. Since this is my first indoor grow I want to keep everything simple, 4 plants seems simpler than 9.

What size buckets/pots should I use for these 4 plants? 5 gallong buckets? My tent is only 6 feet tall.

And when I transfer my seedlings from their little cups, do I transfer them directly into the 5 gallong buckets? Or do I use a smaller pot for veg, and then transfer to a bigger pot for flowering?

Thanks for the help! And sorry for all the noob questions. I just want to make sure I do everything right the first time around.

keat

I run a 90 x 90 centimeters tent, 180 tall.
I fit 9 plants in like 15 litre pots in there under a 400w hps.
And it fits like glow, and grow like a blow!

Ahh, nothing is as good as takin a dump, a jay and have a look at icmag in the morning, all in the same time ;)

G

Guest 88950

Rob

check out this thread, https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=144535

its a thread regarding tent growing.

4 plants total.....2 in veg & 2 in flower and stagger them so that half way through flower on one of them you will be harvesting / replacing the other.

it takes me 10 days to root a clone so ill take my cuts 7 days prior to going into 12/12. you dont need to root more cuts than necessary so the extra cuts can be kept in stasis in the crisper drawer in the fridge or just put then in a glass of h2o and eventually they will root.

in my state un-rooted cuts are not considered a plant, only plant matter. the importance being 50 Unrooted cuts being considered

A) 50 plants = mandatory min jail time or
B) 50 cuts = less than 20 gms = misdemeanor

EDIT: NUTES

it cant get any easier or cheaper than using GH Maxibloom dry ferts. check out the K.I.S.S. thread in the nute section.

1 tsp Maxibloom per gal h20 for anything with roots. fresh rooted clones get 1/2 tsp per gal h20 until there are fully rooted and transplanted.

Scrogerman

Veteran
I been dyin to try Maxibloom after listening to Evilme biggin the stuff up for ages, sounds like a real winner, & the KoolBloom liquid & dry too, go hand in hand from what i hear.

You make a good point about unrooted cuts, i imagine it is exactly the same in the UK too, certainly worth noteing if you live in UK. Id of though most european countries too, makes sense.

Nice info Silver! Stay safe, Cheers!;)

My landlord pays my electrical bill... Safe to do a 600watt grow???

My landlord pays my electrical bill... Safe to do a 600watt grow???

I live in a house that is spilt into 3 different apartments and the electricty bill is included in the rent. So my landlord is paying the electrical bill, but not just for my apartment, the whole entire house of 3 apartments. She would not get an individual bill for my apartment alone. Do you think my landlord would notice the jump in electricity from a 600watt grow?

How much should I expect my electricity bill to rise for a 600watt grow? $10-$20 a month?

edit: Oops. I meant for this to be a thread of its own but whatever....

Latest posts

Latest posts