What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Cal-Mag Plus info

bluntt

Biomin Calcium from SaferGro is O.M.R.I certified as being “non synthetic”. Same goes for the Biomin Magnesium

http://www.omri.org/complete_company.pdf

Biomin Calcium
Guaranteed Analysis
Total Nitrogen…………….2.0%
2.0% Water Soluable Organic Nitrogen

Calcium (Ca)……………..5.0%
5.0% Chelated Calcium

Derived from Calcium Carbonate, Citric acid, and Glycine, Nitrogen derived from Glycine.

Just because you see calcium carbonate…doesn’t mean it is inorganic.

All limestone forms from the precipitation of calcium carbonate from water. Calcium carbonate leaves solutions in many ways and each way produces a different kind of limestone. All the different ways can be classified into two major groups: either with or without the aid of a living organism.
Most limestone is formed with the help of living organisms. Many marine organisms extract calcium carbonate from seawater to make shells or bones. Mussels, clams, oysters, and corals do this. So too do microscopic organisms such as foraminifera. When the organisms die their shells and bones settle to the seafloor and accumulate there. Wave action may break the shells and bones into smaller fragments, forming a carbonate sand or mud. Over millions of years, these sediments of shells, sand, and mud may harden into limestone. Coquina is a type of limestone containing large fragments of shell and coral. Chalk is a type of limestone formed of shells of microscopic animals.
Limestone can also be formed without the aid of living organisms. If water containing calcium carbonate is evaporated, the calcium carbonate is left behind and will crystalize out of solution. For example, at Mammoth Hot Springs in Yellowstone National Park, hot water containing calcium carbonate emerges from deep underground. As the hot water evaporates and cools, it can no longer hold all of the calcium carbonate dissolved in it and some of it crystallizes out, forming limestone terraces. Limestone formed from springs is called travertine. Calcium carbonate that precipitates from water dripping through caves is responsible for the formation of beautiful cave features such as stalactites and stalagmites.

http://encarta.msn.com/encyclopedia_761565838/Limestone_(mineral).html

Biomin Magnesium
Guaranteed Analysis
Total Nitrogen (N)…………….2.0%
2.0% Water Soluable Organic Nitrogen

Magnesium (Mg)……………..3.0%
3.0% Chelated Magnesium

Derived from Magnesium Sulfate, Citric acid and Glycine, Nitrogen derived from Glycine.

Magnesium Sulfate is Epsom salt. Epsom salt was originally prepared by boiling down mineral waters at Epsom, England and afterwards prepared from sea water. In more recent times, these salts are obtained from certain minerals such as epsomite.

CAL-MAG Plus
Guaranteed Minimum Analysis
Total Nitrogen (N)…………….2.0%
1.94% Nitrate Nitrogen
0.06% Water Soluable Organic Nitrogen
Calcium (Ca)…………………..3.2%
Magnesium (Mg)………………1.2%
Iron (Fe)………………………...0.1%

Derived from: Calcium nitrate, Magnesium nitrate, and iron edta.

Now when we compare the two sources we can easily tell that Cal-Mag Plus from Botanicare is anything but organic J Other common uses for Calcium Nitrate are explosives, matches, pyrotechnics, and radio tubes. Magnesium nitrate is widely used in pyrotechnics as well.

Even the chelating agent is chemical in nature. EDTA is a crystalline acid, C10H16N2O8, that acts as a strong chelating agent. I will use Iron as the example here, because Cal-Mag Plus has it in their formula. Iron is an essential nutrient for plant growth. However, if you put a simple iron compound such as iron nitrate in your solution, it will form a precipitate with other chemicals in the solution such as phosphate. To avoid this, you must use chelated iron. A chelating agent is a molecule that grabs onto an ion such as iron and holds it tightly so that it cannot precipitate. However, plants still have ways of extracting the iron they need from these compounds. EDTA iron is one type of chelated iron that you can use in a nutrient solution.

The O.M.R.I certified Biomin products use a natural chelating agent of citric acid in lieu of the edta.

http://www.landfood.ubc.ca/courses/fnh/410/lipids/5_4.htm
makes sense to me

mrwags

********* Female Seeds
ICMag Donor
Veteran
makes sense to me

That sir is the great words of Kokua. He doesn't come around here anymore and that is truly a damn shame. He was an encyclopedia of knowledge and will be missed by all.

He told me that Cal-Mag was not organic and if he said it thats that.

I use it,I use the shit out of it:

10_018_05.jpg

The only complaint I have ever gotten was that I didn't have enough. PBP,Liquid Karma,CalMag,Hydroplex and some Silica Blast and I'm golden. I good flush in the end to where my ppm is what my water is and kill them girls like a thief in the night.

My Penny
Mr.Wags

mpd

Lammen Gorthaur
Veteran
My hydro grows have always suffered under a Calcium and Magnesium deficiency - must be something in the water. I use Lucas Formula religiously but always end up having to add some CalMag+ to the equation to make the plants do everything they were capable of doing.

That and SM-90. SM-90 is the magic for big root masses - as in the kind that fills the entire 5-gallon bucket with a mass that can only mean mind-bending buds are going to be produced.

Let me hear a big amen for CalMag+...

Tokesome

If i were using tap i would not add calmag unless, 1. I noticed a deficiency in cal or mag, 2. I was growing coco.

Hey mate, why do you say if you were growing in coco??

Its just that I`m having some serious issues, for 3 freakin grows now, that look cal/mag def, but been unable to nail the problem, resulting in less than 1/2 the normally expected yield. I have a thread running here about it if you think you may be able to help any, http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=148863

Thanks, Toke

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I eat organic whenever possible, as adults cannot break down inorganics like plants do.

I am pretty sure plants are able to extract what they need from inorganic ferts. Sort of inorganic to organic. You might be paying for something that really isn't necessary.

Biatchzxz

Where am I?
Veteran
Hello people. I'm wondering about a good cal-mag I don't know I'f there are some new ones that are out that migh be organic or whatever. Another question is. U guys know about Sea-cal and Sea-mag by humboldt nutrients at all. I'm not sure if it's really the same. But Id rather use a Cal-Mag supplement that is Maybe higher ratio of each. How much of each is in the Cal-mags

O

OGfarmerted

no cal mag on clones. only use cal mag for vegetative and bloom. i always used it in hydro and soil with great results.use a little to prevent any issues. keep the ph adjusted and let the water sit out if its tap to get rid of chlorine etc.. but clones get babied with little or no food.----------edit- oh yeah, cal mag plus is made by the people who sold me my first light in 99, treg and his wife- peace

Last edited:

Albertine

I'm looking for an organic replacement for Botanicare cal mag. Just picked up some General Organics and it dropped my h20 ph from 6.5 to 5 before adding nutes. It's a fermented product - perhaps that's why?

I have tap h20 with 25ppm, am actually in Sunshine#4 amended with 2T/gal dolomite, so I'm more soil than hydro, trying to add most nutes through watering rather than amending, and have been having low ph issues. The Botanicare Cal mag seems to be seems to give some buffering capacity to the water, but there are too many other changing variables to know for sure - all is much better now. It gives me a reading of 6.5 before nutes.
I'm wondering if you can use some straight calcium carbonate plus K-mag and adjust potassium levels to compensate?

FYI - The Mega worm pure castings are really acidic as is Drammatic fish hydrosalate 2-5-1(the Drammatic is good for a ph down!. Just picked up some Yelm what they are calling castings, not compost, and it is only 50% castings with straw and humus added, but the ph is around 6.5 - 7.0.

Mr.Blaze

Quoted from the mag. "SKUNK" Volume 6 Issue 1.... Rev's Tip: "one of the most commonly used synthetic chelating salts, known as EDTA, is synthesized from formaldehyde and sodium cyanide." ....EDTA is a main ingredient in Cal-Mag plus. This info was in a great article "The Rev" had written about his "True Living Organic" method to growing. He also states that " all Botanicare liquid nutrients, except the "organicare" line, have some degree of synthetic chelating salts in them..." This was news to me since i was lead to believe that "Botanicare" products were all organic... I still like the product, and still use a mix of there product know as "POOP SOUP" but am just a little more informed i suppose*

Cal mag plus is def. not organic! Haha use GH organics CAMG+ that's 0-0-0 too not 1-0-0. There calcium isn't derived from nitrogen. If using RO water 2ML per gallon on res change puts your water at 180-200ppm a must with RO water. Don't let anyone tell you different.

Cal mag plus is def. not organic! Haha use GH organics CAMG+ that's 0-0-0 too not 1-0-0. There calcium isn't derived from nitrogen. If using RO water 2ML per gallon on res change puts your water at 180-200ppm a must with RO water. Don't let anyone tell you different.

I used Cal/Mag+ for 2 years with perfect results.

I switched to GH organic Cal/Mag and within 2 weeks I noticed problems and strange discoloration on the leaves like I had never seen before. This was the only change in my nutrient regiment, too.

Is Botincare Cal/Mag+ organic? No. I never thought that it was. Does it work better than the organic counterpart offered up from General Hydroponics? I'm convinced that it does.

Just my experience.

paperchaser825

Just bought a quart of this. I like the fact it adds no nitrogen for those of use who have plants with low nitrogen/high cal/mag needs.

Granger2

Veteran
If you want organic, use the GO. What I found is that my opinion of the GO CalMag went way up when I started using 10 ml/gal instead of 5. Bot. CalMag+ has iron. You can get iron from something else. Good luck. -granger

Latest posts

Latest posts