What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What happens if an led blows on a quantum board?

madalasatori

Veteran
Hi all I am based in the UK and looking to pull the trigger on some quantum boards.

Now as they aren’t available in the UK I would be buying them online from a reputable retailer in Spain.

My concern is that if one of the LED blows it means my light won’t work and I’ll be several weeks without a light until it can be replaced.

Does anyone have any feedback on such issues? Are they commonplace? Can the boards run if one of the led blows?

Any infos around such a topic will be much appreciated

Thanks

DRM Ranch

Hi all I am based in the UK and looking to pull the trigger on some quantum boards.

Now as they aren’t available in the UK I would be buying them online from a reputable retailer in Spain.

My concern is that if one of the LED blows it means my light won’t work and I’ll be several weeks without a light until it can be replaced.

Does anyone have any feedback on such issues? Are they commonplace? Can the boards run if one of the led blows?

Any infos around such a topic will be much appreciated

Thanks

I emailed them to get their response to this question, I will get back with any reply.

My email text was;

Will the entire board fail if one or more individual LEDs fail?

Thanks,

Cvh

Supermod
I'm not certain what would happen, it would depend I think.

But I just wanted to give you a tip to always have backup lighting.
Maybe get yourself a cheap 250w HPS kit as backup. It doesn't cost much and when there is an issue you don't need to leave your plants in the dark.

Lost in a SOG

GrassSnakeGenetics
I just got some solstrips from a dude in the UK over on OG, to custom build a few rigs, but I also bought QBs from that spanish seller and like them a lot.

DRM Ranch

I'm not certain what would happen, it would depend I think.

But I just wanted to give you a tip to always have backup lighting.
Maybe get yourself a cheap 250w HPS kit as backup. It doesn't cost much and when there is an issue you don't need to leave your plants in the dark.

Having backup equipment especially electronics is always a good idea.

I've not seen a QB in person so I'm not sure just how user serviceable they might be, but proper tools and skill in desoldering and soldering would be something I might try my hand at if we find out they are user serviceable.

Nothing back from them just yet...

DRM Ranch

Just got a reply from them;

Hello,
If board is running at max power then if an LED fail there are higher odds of others failing.
If board is operating at 75% then odds of other LED's failing as much less.
Usually when 1 LED fails the whole string of 1 will fail

example QB 288 has 16 strings of 18 LED
IF an LED fails then all 18 will faill
Show quoted text
--

Horticulture Lighting Group

Lost in a SOG

GrassSnakeGenetics
Just got a reply from them;

Hello,
If board is running at max power then if an LED fail there are higher odds of others failing.
If board is operating at 75% then odds of other LED's failing as much less.
Usually when 1 LED fails the whole string of 1 will fail

example QB 288 has 16 strings of 18 LED
IF an LED fails then all 18 will faill
Show quoted text
--

Horticulture Lighting Group

Then I guess you won't know which led it was that failed either if the whole string will go. Perhaps for some that'd be even more reason to go with solstrips if this was a worry because you can very easily swap that unit out for a brand new one and with solstrips you can easily swap out individual X2 strips for different spectrums. They're essentially the same just the strips are strips and the boards are really more board like lol :smoker:

I bet the QBs will take a good 5-10 years minimum at full blast before anything like that will happen, and a few nasty knocks maybe.

I'm having lots of fun deciding how far apart I want my strips and what spectrums where for what Kelvin.. I've been bitten by an LED DIY Bug... sigh that and my usual seed bug addiction (more of a praying mantis mind take over) has got me penniless. haha grower problems :smokeit:

I've got a while before I can start my grow so I'm keeping my powder dry for now. LED Tech is changing so fast that by the time im ready to fire up the grow whatever I buy today will be obsolete.

GOT_BUD?

Weed is a gateway to gardening
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I've got a while before I can start my grow so I'm keeping my powder dry for now. LED Tech is changing so fast that by the time im ready to fire up the grow whatever I buy today will be obsolete.

That's exactly how I feel. So hard to keep up

In my opinion, they're very similar to TVs.

In that if you buy one today, the new model is not going to make yours obsolete. It will be marginally better than yours, and would take expert growers to get any quantifiable improvements. And I'm talking lab coat wearing, nerd glasses and pocket protector wearing experts.

COB technology is pretty much top of the heap right now. Though the quantum boards are catching up nicely. Right now I would put them on almost even footing with each other. Both are able to produce more than what the plants can use, and that's what prompted me to make the switch from HPS. And I couldn't be happier.

CMH, LED, DE HPS, Sol... all different ways to skin the same cat right now. They all can produce top tier product. If someone's plants look like poop, it's probably not because of the light source.

G

Gr33nSanta

I hope that if one diode dies the whole board will keep running, we are in 2018! That was a major problem of early LED grow lights if this issue has not been fixed I ll stick with COBs thanks!

brickweeder

I emailed them to get their response to this question, I will get back with any reply.

My email text was;

Will the entire board fail if one or more individual LEDs fail?

Thanks,

Ask them for a data sheet. Most LED COB datasheets have a circuit diagram and most use a combination of parallel and series subcircuits, which means that if one LED goes out, only that one subciurcuit goes out, not all the LEDs. But if one subcircuit goes out, then you may have to lower the driver output current to minimize the potential to burn out the rest of the LEDs.

I am currently testing that fixture...I was impressed with it's output on the display and that damn HD credit card....always been a "doubting Thomas"!
Peeps say you can't grow under regular LED...well these are 5000k and like 18,000 lumens so we'll see...

I removed the glass and diffuser. It's been in my veg room next to 400w mh with Ushio blue, so can't comment on growth yet. Definitely bright AF though, it actually washes out the MH. Next step is hanging it in a 2x2 tent, see if the spectrum will keep a plant healthy and growing on it's own. Just need to free up the small tent from drying plants....I know, good problem to have, right?

Anyone else messing with high power commercial high bays?

weedobix

ICMag Donor
Veteran
i saw you mention you cant get them in the uk but diyleduk and invisible sun are both in the uk and supply quantum board kits and components.

Latest posts

Latest posts