What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

3000W of COBS 8x8 with ethos collective and exotic genetix

Desert Hydro

Veteran
layout for the air cooled hood design. gonna replace the glass with aluminum and mount the heatsinks and drivers inside the air cooled chamber.

Attachments

• IMG_1832.JPG
    IMG_1832.JPG
    51.6 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_1833.JPG
    IMG_1833.JPG
    43.3 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_1818.jpg
    IMG_1818.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1822.jpg
    IMG_1822.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_1823.jpg
    IMG_1823.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 15

Desert Hydro

Veteran
the SOGlings looked amazing as i i pulled them down! most of them were super dense and frosty as all hell. im extremely impressed with the results from 600w of LED spread over a ~4x4. once i get these air cooled they will be unstoppable.

great things are coming. soon i will have all my strain/pheno hunting done with and the real growing will commence. its all downhill from here. i still have one pack of ocean grown ninja fruit i need to pop but other than that i am done with beans for a while! ive got 6 mycotek dog cage i need to nurse back to health and flower and that should be good timing with the ninja fruit.

Attachments

• IMG_1844.jpg
    IMG_1844.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_1843.jpg
    IMG_1843.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_1842.jpg
    IMG_1842.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1841.jpg
    IMG_1841.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 11

Desert Hydro

Veteran
progress

Attachments

• IMG_1848.JPG
    IMG_1848.JPG
    57 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1849.JPG
    IMG_1849.JPG
    47.3 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1850.JPG
    IMG_1850.JPG
    82 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1851.JPG
    IMG_1851.JPG
    74.1 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1855.JPG
    IMG_1855.JPG
    63.3 KB · Views: 11

Desert Hydro

Veteran
5 weeks in the books

Attachments

• IMG_1895.JPG
    IMG_1895.JPG
    104 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1894.JPG
    IMG_1894.JPG
    83.2 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1893.JPG
    IMG_1893.JPG
    79.5 KB · Views: 10

Kozmo

Veteran
Subbed

Subbed

If I misspeak or have it all wrong please forgive me. First of, your builds and enthusiasm have caught my attention and respect. Secondly, I am posting for knowledge. I am outside the box as far as building a 4 x 4 set up such as yours and am in the market to figure out how its done to fulfill my own 4 x 8 Geo-pot no-till indoor bed.

This all being said, some of the language is greek to me and am sure there is not enough patience for all the questions I have. I can tell you your flowers look nice at 5 weeks if I'm reading that right("in the books")? In fact they look superb. I noticed someone mention they are mounted high and you responded by putting them closer to your canopy(which will be easier when you get a more balanced SOG going for yourself which is what I believe is your goal?). What are you thinking the penetration is? 1.5-2 feet?

I've ran some generic LED's, Black Dog, and now on to Helios GT. But my aspirations grow larger then my pocket book so building is my new option.

Much respect to the intuitiveness of mounting the ballasts and heat sinks in those hoods.:tiphat: Could someone wire the ballets in a different room? What is your current ambient temp. for your location? The reason I ask is I would be putting mine in a basement and am curious how to manage my heat. It gets very cold in the winter and can rise a bit in the summer(can't think of temps off hand).

Any build threads you suggest? I'lll be surfing regardless. Heres my new lights.

Thank you for your thread and time,

Much respect

Kozmo

Subbed. I'm looking at making the switch from de hps to cobb. How does the heat output compare to your previous setup? I'm curious as to why you are going to go through the trouble to retrofit lights to air cooled hoods vs just venting the room? Oh and nice job on the diy build! My welder ocd approves��

Desert Hydro

Veteran
If I misspeak or have it all wrong please forgive me. First of, your builds and enthusiasm have caught my attention and respect. Secondly, I am posting for knowledge. I am outside the box as far as building a 4 x 4 set up such as yours and am in the market to figure out how its done to fulfill my own 4 x 8 Geo-pot no-till indoor bed.

This all being said, some of the language is greek to me and am sure there is not enough patience for all the questions I have. I can tell you your flowers look nice at 5 weeks if I'm reading that right("in the books")? In fact they look superb. I noticed someone mention they are mounted high and you responded by putting them closer to your canopy(which will be easier when you get a more balanced SOG going for yourself which is what I believe is your goal?). What are you thinking the penetration is? 1.5-2 feet?

I've ran some generic LED's, Black Dog, and now on to Helios GT. But my aspirations grow larger then my pocket book so building is my new option.

Much respect to the intuitiveness of mounting the ballasts and heat sinks in those hoods.:tiphat: Could someone wire the ballets in a different room? What is your current ambient temp. for your location? The reason I ask is I would be putting mine in a basement and am curious how to manage my heat. It gets very cold in the winter and can rise a bit in the summer(can't think of temps off hand).

Any build threads you suggest? I'lll be surfing regardless. Heres my new lights.[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=57111&pictureid=1660945&thumb=1]View Image[/url]

Thank you for your thread and time,

Much respect

Kozmo

i have noticed that with the lights closer the top leaves start to flod up like a taco. there is no bleaching, but anything above my scrog net is tacoing and anything below that line is fine. i think its just an intensity thing so im not too concerned.

this canopy is absolutely fucked lol. there is 5 strains in there(harambe, citral flo, blackfire, quattro kush batch 45) and each strain has multiple phenos so they are all over the place. the scrog was more for support than anything. this is the first run with them so i needed to see how they grow naturally and im taking notes as they progress.

next round will be more controlled as i have my eye on a few keepers that will make the cut and move on to the next round.

i am working on becoming a licensed caregiver so i need to have multiple winners available at all times. my goal is 4-6 keepers.

building is your best option for getting the most from your money. take your time and do your research. take notes. label your shit if its your first build. it will help lol. i have built 6 arrays now and ive got a system down and made my own jigs for pilot holes and heatsink placement. makes it way easier. buy a multipack of wago connectors off amazon. if you wire in parallel like me you will use a TON of them. some will advise against wiring in parallel but i have not had any issues with any of my arrays. gonna build a few more of my aircooled hoods and list them for sale in so cal.

you can definitely run the ballasts remotely. watch all of growmau5 build videos. they will help a lot. thats how/why i got started building my own.

ambient temps without air cooling are 79 degrees and 59% humidity. if it gets really cold in the winter just dont remove the heat and have a ceiling fan on reverse to pull the warm air downward in the winter. the individual lights barely get hot at ~40-50w BUT there will be a bunch packed in there so they do radiate some heat. the heat mostly is projected up and out like a grenade. you can put your hand to a 40w diode and its barely warm two inches underneath.

BTW i would kill for a basement here in the desert.

Desert Hydro

Veteran
Subbed. I'm looking at making the switch from de hps to cobb. How does the heat output compare to your previous setup? I'm curious as to why you are going to go through the trouble to retrofit lights to air cooled hoods vs just venting the room? Oh and nice job on the diy build! My welder ocd approves��

i was looking into DE HPS/CMH and could have gone that route. still might buy a couple to try out since they are substantially cheaper to cover the same area and the bulb life is great. really want to grab a couple revolution micro DEva's and place them inside of an old hood to air cool them lol.

the heat is definitely there but it is different. as i said to kozmo its projected up and out like a grenade which makes it harder to remove efficiently from the room. i have one inlet and one outlet for my room and the inlet is passive unless the ac is on. either way its not terrible. my ac is set to 78 and my room runs 79 lol.....but summer is coming and its brutal here so i just wanna be as efficient as possible. thats the name of the game with COBs so why not be efficient in all ways if possible.

i have a welder friend with OCD. he once made me cut off all the zip ties on my ballast cords and redo them because they werent all facing the same direction. he also made me spend way too much money to build an intricate pulley system to raise all my lights with one wench lol

Desert Hydro

Veteran
forgot the pics.... about 3 weeks left. i rolled a spliff of that Future nugget in the pic and i was trippin balls. that shit had me so fucked up i was hearing whispers and i kept sitting up in bed and looking around trying to find where they were coming from. CRAZY shit. even gave me the spins a little bit lol. smells like blueberry and skunk.its a blueberry cross and GG4 and its amazing despite being hermies.

Attachments

• IMG_1913.jpg
    IMG_1913.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1914.JPG
    IMG_1914.JPG
    88.7 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1922.JPG
    IMG_1922.JPG
    39.1 KB · Views: 16
Yea hermies are a pain to deal with, but they ain't the end of the world depending on how angry they are. The de I'm running is a phantom 1000w that runs at 600w to 750w in a 3x4 tent. The tent runs 10°F hotter than ambient air temp in garage. It draws a passive intake due to vacuume of exhaust fan that is vented to outside the house. That's with an open reflector. Do some reading on de bulbs. From what I gather air cooling will mess with color temp and output. Also the sealed hood's glass will eat light output as well. The good part about de over cobb is that it's alot cheaper and one bulb at 1000w will cover a 6x4 area depending on reflector.

Desert Hydro

Veteran
Yea hermies are a pain to deal with, but they ain't the end of the world depending on how angry they are. The de I'm running is a phantom 1000w that runs at 600w to 750w in a 3x4 tent. The tent runs 10°F hotter than ambient air temp in garage. It draws a passive intake due to vacuume of exhaust fan that is vented to outside the house. That's with an open reflector. Do some reading on de bulbs. From what I gather air cooling will mess with color temp and output. Also the sealed hood's glass will eat light output as well. The good part about de over cobb is that it's alot cheaper and one bulb at 1000w will cover a 6x4 area depending on reflector.

definitely wont air cool the bulb just the heat coming off the fixture. it will be the same concept as my air cooled cobs with the sheet of aluminum instead of glass but with a cutout the size of the glass on the other hood. heres a pic of the light. its all integrated and uses a new square wave ballast which is the only digital ballast to run at low frequencies

Attachments

• RevPage-ballast-photo-2.jpg
    RevPage-ballast-photo-2.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 14
  • RevPage-ballast-photo21.jpg
    RevPage-ballast-photo21.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 14

Kozmo

Veteran
What size/brand whench did you end up getting? They seem to go from tiny to huge from what I am finding.

Desert Hydro

Veteran
I have 2400w of Cree CXB3590 in a 4 x 8 tent @56% efficiency

that seems a bit counter productive to the whole LED theme of saving but then again i bet that does really fucking good lol. i run about 600-750w per 4x4 and that save me a good bit of heat and a decent amount of electrical as it adds up. the heat is my primary concern.

Desert Hydro

Veteran
my two keepers thus far. theres a few more in there but they are still progressing so its hard to tell whats what just yet. first one is ethos collective blackfire and the second is ethos collective harambe. the harambe is super bushy with lots of dense middle size colas and not much leaf. gonna make an awesome 4x4 plant in the future

Attachments

• IMG_1928.JPG
    IMG_1928.JPG
    74.7 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1927.JPG
    IMG_1927.JPG
    70.4 KB · Views: 14

Koondense

Veteran
I have 2400w of Cree CXB3590 in a 4 x 8 tent @56% efficiency

That's too much light if you don't add CO2 and have a close system(IMO).
2400W for 4x8 is same as 600W for 2x4. I use max 300W for a 2x4 and get a stable 1,5g/W.
I would use same Watts as you for at least two 5x5 tents.

Desert Hydro

Veteran
killin it under ~38W COBs! thats only 1200W to cover a 4x8 and look at the size of those colas. im super impressed with the new LED tech!

got one more week til flush and then a week of flush til chop!

gonna blast one or two more runs tomorrow depending on how much fits in my closed loop. i have some primo shit to run and then some shit that has already been tumbled so who knows how it will do. should be OK since the tumbling just gets the outside.

Attachments

• IMG_1944.JPG
    IMG_1944.JPG
    106.9 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_1945.JPG
    IMG_1945.JPG
    106 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1946.JPG
    IMG_1946.JPG
    68.4 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1951.JPG
    IMG_1951.JPG
    90.4 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_1952.JPG
    IMG_1952.JPG
    80.9 KB · Views: 13
How are the tops of the colas doing that close to the lights? Mind sharing what strain made the concentrates along with starting weight/final yield?