What's new

# of images in a post reduced

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skip

Veteran
I've reduced the # of images in a single post to 5.

Hopefully this will help the site run faster.

Everyone should be resizing their images before uploading them to icmag so the server doesn't have to resize them everytime they get viewed.

Thanks

GP73LPC

Strain Collector/Seed Junkie/Landrace Accumulator/
Veteran
it won't really help a whole lot.

i guess it helps the poster upload faster.

but if a poster has 15 images to put up, it still takes the same time to download....

RockyMountainHi

I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with th
Veteran
how about qouting posts with HUGE freakin pictures?

I've already seen the picture but hey, lets send it a few dozen more times.

Midnight

Veteran
As long as the server re sizes pictures most people are not going to bother doing it themselves.

G

Guest50138

This program is free and one off the easiest to use when it comes to re size and striping the META information of your pics , re sized pics are quicker to upload and hell my uploads get counted in my overall internet usage so why pay to upload a 4mb pic when you can re size it and bring it down to less than 200kb...hmm thats all
http://www.irfanview.com/
A little how to
open pic with irfanveiw
select Image (pulldown menu)
resize/resample ....enter
select the size you want..800 x 600 works for me
press OK
select file (pulldown menu)
select save as or save in original folder and follow prompts
EASY :)

DoobieDuck

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Skip great work, I hope it helps some. I tried for months to promote this idea and bring the uploading issue forward by posting it in my signature "please help speed up our site by posting no more than three full size pix and the rest thumbnails in your threads"

I think everyone would help if they knew more about it Skip..thanks for posting DD

joe fresh

Mentor
Veteran
does this affect posts already made? like will threads i made where i got 20 picks in a post automatically get the pics deleted to 5? or is this for future reference only?

GP73LPC

Strain Collector/Seed Junkie/Landrace Accumulator/
Veteran
Skip great work, I hope it helps some. I tried for months to promote this idea and bring the uploading issue forward by posting it in my signature "please help speed up our site by posting no more than three full size pix and the rest thumbnails in your threads"

I think everyone would help if they knew more about it Skip..thanks for posting DD

how does one post thumbnails? i learned years ago how to post full size and have just always done that?

thumbnails would most definitely help... :tiphat:

Midnight

Veteran
how does one post thumbnails? i learned years ago how to post full size and have just always done that?

thumbnails would most definitely help... :tiphat:

If by thumbnails you mean the pictures you hover the mouse over and they expand...I FUCKING HATE THAT!

festivus

STAY TOASTY MY FRIENDS!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
No biggie, just paste multiple pics onto one canvas, then save the whole as a single jpeg image. For Windows users, the Paint program works great.

If limiting the number of pics per post will help the site run faster, I'm all for it.

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Skip, what do you envision as being the best way to do a tutorial? Saving a number of posts subsequent to the original seems pretty clumsy and messy to read through, and potentially disruptive to the narrative if you don't save enough posts initially. I think that the pictures are critical to illustrate what is going on, and tutorials in particular would be much less effective without them.

For instance, take the DIY in my sig - how interesting would it be with only 5 pictures, and if you want to go back and add one to illustrate something that needs more detail (did that), it won't be an option.

Thanks.

*edit* I was under the impression that pictures were resized upon being loaded into an album, but from what you are saying, they are saved in the full format and then resized "on the fly" when being viewed in a post. Is there a way to change this so that they are stored initially in the appropriate format and not require the duplication of effort?

Last edited:

Payaso

Original Editor of ICMagazine
Veteran
Hey Joe, and UC, your existing posts will remain the same, the limit is for new posts only.

And yes, this will speed the site up for those who have been complaining about speed.

Speed is such a variable...and hard to quantify. It's purely subjective it seems.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
something has changed within the last 2-3 weeks. the pic siz iuuse is something not realted to the slow down of the server. The site was running fine speed wise. SKIP changed some stuff and now its slow. Put it back the way it was problem fixed...

Skip

Veteran
The site is running just fine over here... and I'm 6,000 miles away from the server.

Takes 2 secs to load a page or to post. (provided there aren't 100+ images over 1MB on the page...)

Perhaps you folks need to upgrade some of your software...and stop posting up such huge images.

There's been a LOT of recent upgrades. If you've been holding off, maybe you should do it now.

L

LouDog420

Yeah but when we edit them to make them better it will.delete the pics cause ther is more than 5. This is another problem. I can understand people posting 20 pictures of bullshit but you are also penalizing the informative growers. You should at least give certain growers more acess to post more pics who deserve it. If they abuse it for the wrong reasons then take it away. Just be fair to the people who come here to learn.

Quoted for truth... ^^^ And it warrants such a mature reaction :(

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
what should we be upgrading???.. My pics are re sized to 1000x800 now since that was changed. Is there something else we need to upgrade????. It might be running fine for you but as you can see there are many of us that are having issues that are real since you have change stuff. Im shocked you took it that far...

What is a good ping time from ca usa to the server???? I get 165ms all other sites are half that.

Last edited:

Skip

Veteran
Sorry I'm not seeing the problem other than too many big images and a delay when you have PMs waiting.

I can reduce the images sizes next, if ppl keep complaining about the speed of the site. I think 800 x 800 should work.

Traffic on icmag has increased 35% since I came back.

I guess I should UNDO that, just so you can continue to post up tons of enormous, unedited images. This isn't image shack you know.

Skip

Veteran
BTW, I show 126 ms for pings and I'm not having any delay presently. I have seen delays in the past but not in the last few days other than what I mentioned above.

Run a traceroute to icmag and see where it starts to slowdown... Unless it's slow ONLY at the last point, it's not our server that's the problem.

Ping time is only a problem if it times out.

There can be a few dozen things slowing down your browser's loading up icmag pages, that have nothing to do with icmag.

If it were our server, it would affect everyone...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts