Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Cannabis Growing Outdoors > Guerilla Underground Thread

Thread Title Search
Click for great cannabis genetics at Female Seeds!
Guerilla Underground Thread Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-08-2018, 03:51 PM #801
TychoMonolyth

TychoMonolyth is a survivorTychoMonolyth is a survivorTychoMonolyth is a survivorTychoMonolyth is a survivorTychoMonolyth is a survivorTychoMonolyth is a survivorTychoMonolyth is a survivorTychoMonolyth is a survivorTychoMonolyth is a survivorTychoMonolyth is a survivorTychoMonolyth is a survivor
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuskrayTroubador View Post
Very true. I live in a region with high humidity as well, rains around the same time of year as harvest.

Part of me is worried that the buds might mold... Can anyone tell me whether buds/drying plants are more susceptible to mold than plants still in the ground?

Also, I tend to only take off the biggest fan leaves when I first harvest, so there's a lot of leaf around the buds until dried and trimmed completely. Is that better or worse when it comes to drying outside and the threat of mold in a high humidity region?

Am I better off hanging branches up or whole trees as some have suggested?

I also imagine it'll take at least a week. I think, unless the weather is just awful, two weeks might be a little long but I really have no idea. I figure its taken bud about 5 days to dry inside, outside I imagined somewhere around 7-10. But then again, I never had much in the way of fans going inside while drying. If I'm blessed with good weather and steady breezes, the buds might dry in 5 to 7 days.
Good questions.

I had a buddy that discovered mold starting in his plants so he decided to pull them, but he left one to see if it would fight back or overtake the whole plant. After a week and a bit of rain and drizzle, he went back to check on the damage. Low and behold, a beautiful plant stood upright ready to be taken down. I've never experimented with that strategy, but I have lots going in the ground this year so I might sacrifice one to the rain and frost. Last year I did witness very alive and colorful plants after a couple hard frosts. In the end though, it makes sense that damage is strain dependant.

On an 8-9 week flowering strain, I start defoliation (really heavy on the bottom) at week 4. Defoliation is all but complete except for sugar leaves at harvest time. If I were to dry on the plant (Columbian Gold method) I'd trim the standing plant as much as possible and ring the plant to kill it where it standing. If you dry indoor, you leave the sugar leaves on to curl around the buds and slow the drying process. In the wild, I'd take them off unless you're in a somewhat dry location.

Hanging the whole plant outdoors would really slow the drying process because the buds will draw moisture from the leaves, then the stalks before the buds are even ready to start drying themselves. So I'd cut the branches and hang them making sure they have a lot of ventilation and are absolutely not touching each other. Adding a tarp or cover will reduce ventilation and increase the chance for mold. So open air (between two trees?) out of direct sunlight would be best. Sun+Air can dry buds in an hour so leaving sugar leaves should depend on your forecast and drying location.

By far the best tasting smoke I even had was dried outdoor (5 days) then cured indoor, so circumstances permitting, I'll dry some early stuff outdoor this year. Maybe not completely, but enough for a dry trim a couple days later.

2018 Season's Post Mortem and Best Practices

~

Silverback's Threads: the Complete Collection
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?threadid=299104

Julian's Massive Outdoor Grow thread
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?threadid=62895

------------
TychoMonolyth is online now Quote

Old 05-08-2018, 04:11 PM #802
MountainBudz
xXx~SkunkDaddyOutlaw~xXx

MountainBudz has much to be proud ofMountainBudz has much to be proud ofMountainBudz has much to be proud ofMountainBudz has much to be proud ofMountainBudz has much to be proud ofMountainBudz has much to be proud ofMountainBudz has much to be proud ofMountainBudz has much to be proud ofMountainBudz has much to be proud ofMountainBudz has much to be proud ofMountainBudz has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuskrayTroubador View Post
Very true. I live in a region with high humidity as well, rains around the same time of year as harvest.

Part of me is worried that the buds might mold... Can anyone tell me whether buds/drying plants are more susceptible to mold than plants still in the ground?

Also, I tend to only take off the biggest fan leaves when I first harvest, so there's a lot of leaf around the buds until dried and trimmed completely. Is that better or worse when it comes to drying outside and the threat of mold in a high humidity region?

Am I better off hanging branches up or whole trees as some have suggested?

I also imagine it'll take at least a week. I think, unless the weather is just awful, two weeks might be a little long but I really have no idea. I figure its taken bud about 5 days to dry inside, outside I imagined somewhere around 7-10. But then again, I never had much in the way of fans going inside while drying. If I'm blessed with good weather and steady breezes, the buds might dry in 5 to 7 days.

No, botrytis is much more likely to take hold on the plant while its alive and in the ground than after harvest. Believe it or not, I have put fresh trimmed buds in a jar one time not even a day after drying started while hanging, they sit in that jar for 2 weeks before dry and not a speck of mold.

I see you spoke about removing leaves on your plants. That is fine if you enjoy it, however, outdoors especially, once the buds start getting dense and even before then in early flower its not a good idea to pluck leaves off. This leaves an open wound in the plants vascular system allowing botrytis to welcome its say in and begin an infestation. Not only botrytis but several other diseases. Does not always happen but I have been growing for many years now and most of the time it will happen.

Good luck to ya bud!

Edit: Be careful especially removing any leaves around the bud, even the larger fan leaves. Also, anytime you see mold (bud rot), spray it with hydrogen peroxide and THEN cut off and remove infected area, place in a Ziploc or air sealed bag (moist paper bags work great for this), then dispose.. This will decrease the spores from going crazy airborne by at least 90%.
MountainBudz is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-08-2018, 05:32 PM #803
TychoMonolyth

TychoMonolyth is a survivorTychoMonolyth is a survivorTychoMonolyth is a survivorTychoMonolyth is a survivorTychoMonolyth is a survivorTychoMonolyth is a survivorTychoMonolyth is a survivorTychoMonolyth is a survivorTychoMonolyth is a survivorTychoMonolyth is a survivorTychoMonolyth is a survivor
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainBudz View Post
I see you spoke about removing leaves on your plants. That is fine if you enjoy it, however, outdoors especially, once the buds start getting dense and even before then in early flower its not a good idea to pluck leaves off. This leaves an open wound in the plants vascular system allowing botrytis to welcome its say in and begin an infestation. Not only botrytis but several other diseases. Does not always happen but I have been growing for many years now and most of the time it will happen.
Thanks for the head's up. Now I'm going to put off the defoliation until very near to harvest. I'm just trying to reduce my workload. lol

~

------------

Old 05-08-2018, 08:34 PM #804
DuskrayTroubador

DuskrayTroubador is a name known to allDuskrayTroubador is a name known to allDuskrayTroubador is a name known to allDuskrayTroubador is a name known to allDuskrayTroubador is a name known to allDuskrayTroubador is a name known to allDuskrayTroubador is a name known to allDuskrayTroubador is a name known to allDuskrayTroubador is a name known to allDuskrayTroubador is a name known to allDuskrayTroubador is a name known to all
Quote:
No, botrytis is much more likely to take hold on the plant while its alive and in the ground than after harvest. Believe it or not, I have put fresh trimmed buds in a jar one time not even a day after drying started while hanging, they sit in that jar for 2 weeks before dry and not a speck of mold.

Good luck to ya bud!

Edit: Be careful especially removing any leaves around the bud, even the larger fan leaves. Also, anytime you see mold (bud rot), spray it with hydrogen peroxide and THEN cut off and remove infected area, place in a Ziploc or air sealed bag (moist paper bags work great for this), then dispose.. This will decrease the spores from going crazy airborne by at least 90%.
Thanks for the heads up!

Do you think it's fine to trip the fan leaves off right as I chop the plants in order to speed up drying a bit?

Also, what about the leaves that naturally just fall right off at the slightest touch?
haunted hill; then be sure, exalted to Jove’s high seat,
the great Sperm Whale shall lord it.

— HERMAN MELVILLE, from Moby Dick
DuskrayTroubador is offline Quote

Old 05-10-2018, 10:41 PM #805
TychoMonolyth

Quote:

Good luck to ya bud!

Exactly like you said.
https://www.almanac.com/pest/gray-mold-or-botrytis
"Gray mold is a fungus otherwise known as Botrytis cinerea that can affect any part of a plant and is one of the most common diseases found among bedding plants. This disease will easily infect plants that are already damaged or beginning to die. It then spreads quickly and can cause extensive damage to healthy parts of plants.

Moisture is one of the main causes of gray mold. The wetter your plants are, the more susceptible they are to becoming infected. Your plants also must be injured before they can become infected. Be careful around your plants to prevent this."

~

------------

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-10-2018, 11:10 PM #806
DuskrayTroubador

DuskrayTroubador is a name known to allDuskrayTroubador is a name known to allDuskrayTroubador is a name known to allDuskrayTroubador is a name known to allDuskrayTroubador is a name known to allDuskrayTroubador is a name known to allDuskrayTroubador is a name known to allDuskrayTroubador is a name known to allDuskrayTroubador is a name known to allDuskrayTroubador is a name known to allDuskrayTroubador is a name known to all
Well fuck, there we go. No more removing fan leaves.

What about after harvest, though? Even if you chop and hang a whole tree, there is still going to be one wound. Should you just hang whole branches, fan leaves and all?
haunted hill; then be sure, exalted to Jove’s high seat,
the great Sperm Whale shall lord it.

— HERMAN MELVILLE, from Moby Dick
DuskrayTroubador is offline Quote

Old 05-11-2018, 01:00 AM #807
TychoMonolyth

In a perfect world, everything would be marshmallow smooth.

I'm still going to be defoliating the fuck out of everything the week I start harvesting though. I just won't start as early as I was going to. I'll deal with issues that crop up as they do.

In all honesty, I've only seen one perfect outdoor crop and harvest. But that was only 2 dozen plants in a well tended home garden.

~

------------

Old 05-11-2018, 07:29 AM #808
marmarb

marmarb is a jewel in the roughmarmarb is a jewel in the roughmarmarb is a jewel in the roughmarmarb is a jewel in the roughmarmarb is a jewel in the roughmarmarb is a jewel in the roughmarmarb is a jewel in the rough
Just got around to popping a few packs of seeds few weeks late but better late than never. Still have some clones and mothers that are ready to go.

Old 05-11-2018, 11:25 AM #809
TychoMonolyth

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmarb View Post
Just got around to popping a few packs of seeds few weeks late but better late than never. Still have some clones and mothers that are ready to go.
What's going out?

~

------------

Old 05-11-2018, 04:01 PM #810
Dday391

Dday391 is a jewel in the roughDday391 is a jewel in the roughDday391 is a jewel in the roughDday391 is a jewel in the roughDday391 is a jewel in the roughDday391 is a jewel in the roughDday391 is a jewel in the rough
I'm finally starting my holes now, had to wait for the trees to grow in to figure out the sun spots/ shading of this new area. Seeds coming up finally. Winter felt like it was never going to end haha. Excited to finally get this year on track. Last year was a catastrophe, looking to improve my outcome for sure this year. Good luck to everyone out there
Dday391 is offline Quote