What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

150 micron dry sift - worth it?

bongoman

Hi there

Really want to try doing a small quantity of dry sift and have found an 8 x 10 inch 150 micron silk screen frame.

Is it worth doing a run on this size screen? I have, say, an ounce of nice buds to play with.

I'd prefer to sacrifice quality for yield, to some extent.

I gather 150 is pretty open - but is it too big? Should I look for 120 micron instead?

i' just got some kief that bubbled, under 110, that's very gently sieved over

150 won't be of the best quality, but better then the bud itself no doubt. why not run half of that through the 150

maybe some bho/iso for the rest?

heres what happens what i buy an ounce of really good bud

- 14g goes toward dry sift, 10g for a premium butane run, 4g of the best buds, to roll into jays (along with kief/oil)

Once i've sifted about 50% of the crystals, I do a bho run with this, and maybe a second run with the initial 10g :D

at the end of the day, i'm fuckin stoned! :headbange

bongoman

Great idea - I wondered what to do with the sifted bud, and thought I'd just vaporise it, but BHO sounds good, although I'm a little wary of solvents.

How do you find premium BHO compared to your dry sift in terms of the high? Do you have a preference?

I really enjoy a layer of bud, with a nice blob of BHO, then kief sprinkled for full effect :D

I think properly made BHO is my favourite. By what I call premium, lightly crushed up whole buds, with a short run (about 4-5 seconds or varying), this seems to be a+ quality

The high for me, is a very strong, clear mellow high. I think kief on top/ mixed with BHO is the best. That' seems to be a very complete, nice high as well

I honestly wouldn't worry about the solvent, if your product is properly made / purged. Read up on some of the BHO threads, for a proper purge.

Another thing is, high quality butane. If you have the shitty stuff, it has additives, for smell ect.. and this will obviously contaiminate your oil. Vector, or KING 5x filtered is the best, no doubt. I've got by great with 3x filtered Lucienne, and NiBO

this isn't my pic, just one I admired :headbange

23898bhomix22-thumb.jpg

Last edited:
G

IMHO it is to big of a mesh. I like the 110, 90, and 73micron and i find that the 90 gives me the best quaility

C

Chamba

yes, it will do the job quite well !

make sure to use a gentle action and (after removingthe de-kiffed bud from the screen) resift the resin several times through the screen by gently tapping the sides of the screen frame, stop kiffing each time when 90% of the resin has passed through the mesh to help improve the purity.

a 150 micron mesh screen is a good choice for single screen dry sifting fat well matured indicas..and is equivilent to approximately 100 ~ 115 lines or threads per inch mesh often referred to as "100 mesh" ~ "110 mesh"..though might be a little too open for landrace sativas

and as mentioned above by other posters....the larger the hole openings a mesh has, the gentler you must work the plant material or more broken up plant matter will fall through with the resin heads

a great addition to the 150 micron is a 120 ~130 micron mesh screen ..this finer mesh will really help you clean up your resin so it burns sweeter, tastes resinier and has a higher, more cerebral high

for more info on dry sifting, meshes, kiffing etc...do a search through my previous posts as i often post on dry sifting threads and so do others!

Happing Kiffing!

Last edited:
C

Chamba

IMHO it is to big of a mesh. I like the 110, 90, and 73micron and i find that the 90 gives me the best quaility

hmmm..that statement could be misleading to those inexperienced with dry sifting

most mature plants have resin heads vary in size from 50 ~ 110 micron in size...(sativa strains have small size heads and indica strains usually have larger sized heads...and dry sifitng is very different to ice hashing)....so solely using a 90 micron mesh would result in only half (?) of the heads passing through the mesh.

I suggest using a combination of 150 - 130 micron (or 100 ~125 lines per inch mesh) for most strains....

then run that rough kif through a 110 ~ 130 micron mesh (approx. 115 ~ 145 lines per inch mesh) several times for the best in quality and quantity

you can then further clean the resin with a 40 ~ 60 micron mesh screen (or 200+ lpi mesh)..card the resin repeatedly over the mesh, the broken up plant matter will eventually pass through the tiny mesh openings and the resin will remain on top...do it right and the resin will bubble like ice hash (but with a more complex high and a fuller taste!)

happy dry sifting!

Last edited:

bongoman

Thanks Chamba for that info.

I think I'll go ahead and buy this 43T screen, which is apparently 150 micron opening.

And then look for a 110 micron screen.

What about pressing? I just bought "Hashish!" by Robert Clarke and he mentions that traditional afghani sifted resin was left lightly pressed for storage (the primo head stash was traditionally kept in a goat scrotum bag) but that prior to smoking, the resin was thoroughly hand-pressed.

What do you reckon is the best way to store sifted resin? How pressed should it be? Is it worth investing in a Space Case Pollen Press or similar product?

C

Chamba

who stores it?....I usually smoke up quick smart!

lots of dry sifters don't press their resin...it burns more evenly, cooler etc and over time you tend to use a little less than pressed hash.

there are lots of ways to store resin.....cool, dark and sealed are what you need to look at.... a small glass jar in the fridge works well

doa search back through this forum...there's lots of posts about making your own hash!...pressing it, or not

Last edited:
C

Chamba

I'd suggest 150 micron then a 120 micron...with decent enough starting material, these two meshes will produce excellent quality hash....gently run the resin through the 120 micron mesh a few times with a scraping card or tap the frame....

resin heads are roughly round in shape while most of the rubbish (broken up plant matter, resin head stalks and dust) is odd shaped.....the heavier, rounder resin heads fall through, intially, at a greater rate than the debris...so stop carding when 90+% has fallen through the mesh each time, remove the crap ontop and re-sift the resin..re-seived resin will be stickier, blonder and will give you a more intense high

C

Chamba

space cash or other aluminum grinders with a mesh screen area are a good intro into the world of dry sifting cannabis into a more purer, healthier substance to inhale*.....
but due to their tiny mesh area those combo grinder/mesh screens have several downsides..

*an ounce of bud will sift down to about 3 or 4 grams of AAA quality resin heads (or about 2 kilos of English soap bar hash)..so your intake of all the bad shit that is associated with combustion inhalation will be 10 times less...the downside (is if you are paying for it instead of growing it) is that 3 ~ 6 grams of fine hash will only last half as long as an ounce of bud ....but the dry sift will be ten times healthier for you and you will get to a higher altitude each time you smoke it.

if you want to make hash then get (buy or build) yourself a proper sized screen frame...if you want to grind up your herb then buy a good quality grinder...I've used the same rosewood grinder for years, every week or so rub the sides with sand paper and it still works like new..every smoker should use a grinder, it's the most efficient way to break up herb for vaping or smoking with the minimum of resin loss....

happy dry sifting ....

Last edited: