What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Hybrids ?

L

LoungeLizard

Can someone show me the difference in sativa dominant and indica dominant hybrids

L

LoungeLizard

What I'm trying to say is can a sativa be indica dominant and a indica be sativa dominant

HidingInTheHaze

Veteran
Well as describing words indica and sativa have been replaced by NLD (Narrow Leaf Drug Cultivar) and WLD (Wide Leaf Drug Cultivar).

What was a "Sativa" is now technically and "indica" as meaning from India, and what was "indica" is now "Anfganica" meaning from Afganistan region.

So in short yes a "sativa" could be an "indica".

Both varieties have their own sets of characteristics that contribute to their classification, which I would assume that if you have gotten this far you are aware of.

L

LoungeLizard

thanks if a plant has some characteristics of a sativa Like somewhat narrow leafs but flowers a few inches over a foot tall does that make it indica dominant maybe some photos showing the difference in characteristics will help

C

Collembola

hello,

no, a indica can not be sativa dominant and vice versa in commercial terms.

the lines are a bit blurred,

a indica, has to ONLY indica same with sativa.

(the problem being as hidinginthehaze pointed out, people can not be certain, that the genetics are infact one or the other).

an indica from one place x an indica from another place is a "indica hybrid", if it is inbred and the family is similar, it is a plain indica.

when you cross a indica to a sativa, it is a indica / sativa hybrid.

------------------

it is up to the breeders to reliably tell people the dominance, as they should know if they work and observe the genetics.

the problem being, that out in nature, everything is hybridized or messed about with.

because you need them to hybridize, or else the gene pool gets too weak and they can not continue.

-------------------

what you are seeing i think is "strain specific traits", you can sometimes trace them back to one place or another, where there is a predominance of one type or another, or see consistency.

but no, a "indica can not be sativa dominant" as a indica should not share genetics from sativas,

because if it did, it would be a "hybrid" and not a "indica".

its all much of a muchness though...

Latest posts

Latest posts