What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Importance of the relative length of the veg period

JamesEaves

Does anyone have any insights or references related to impact of the relative length of the veg period on the final $/sqft of a harvest?

For instance, suppose the harvest cycle for a particular strain lasts 12 weeks, and the recommended veg period were 4 weeks. I could reduced the veg period from 4 weeks to 3 weeks and increase the flower period to 9 weeks, thus keeping the harvest-cycle duration the same.

(This is related to the SOG method but different, I think, since Im keeping the duration of the harvest cycle the same.)

My question is if I reduce the veg period relative to the flower period, what impact should I expect to the end value of my production? For instance, will the longer flower period result in lower potency due to CBN production? If there are negative side-effects, are there methods for combatting them (like changes in temperature, spectrum...)?

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Flower time does not change much based upon veg time.

You can take two cuttings from the same plant & veg 1 for 3 weeks & the othet for 10 weeks. The flower time will be the same for either plant. If it's 70 days for the 3 week vegged plant then it will be 70 days flower time for the 10 week vegged plant.

Hope that answers your question.

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
There are nuances.

Many cultivars will show preflower if left to become rootbound in a long vegetative cycle. These plants may complete flower cycle a week or so early.

Extending the flower cycle outside of the ideal changes the resin more than the flower.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
There are nuances.

Many cultivars will show preflower if left to become rootbound in a long vegetative cycle. These plants may complete flower cycle a week or so early.

Extending the flower cycle outside of the ideal changes the resin more than the flower.

^^^^^
True.
My question is if I reduce the veg period relative to the flower period, what impact should I expect to the end value of my production?

No, it only impacts total yield shortening your veg time. Been doing the 12/12 for indoor winter projects on photos. Great way to see how they finish/look without long veg period.

Good luck!

Latest posts

Latest posts