What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

8000W legal vert setup question

420weedman

Hi everyone..!!

I`m running a legal grow now with 8 horizontal 1000w digital hps lights in a 16x16 room on the flat.. What i`m interested in doing is(after many many many hours of vert reading) go vertical with this next run.. Only thing is i`m not to sure if vert growing can be done with good results on the flat with bulbs above plants not down in them..??.. I know i can run a stadium so that i can get the lights in amongst the plants down the middle but really just dont have the time or cash to setup one right yet..(Next grow).!!..lol

My question is if it could be ran on the flat vert and get as good as results as horizontal (For this run,next will have stadium) ..?? Also what would be the best vert light/plant arrangement be for this room... should i keep all lights on top of plants or drop'em..??..lol

Room=16x16
Lights= 8x1000W hps
Plants=73

If running vert on the flat is a waste,what layout for a stadium would be optium for my situation..??..

Thanks in advance..!!..Have a good one..!!:pimp3::smokey::smoweed:

Mister_D

Veteran
One bulb per 4x4 area. Surround each bulb with 4-6 plants 16-24" tall at start of flower. Adjust flower height to suit your strains, you are shooting for 2-3' tall plants at the end of stretch. Search vertical dount for visual reference. The redemption thread in my sig starts with a vertical doughnut and evolves into a vert rack setup biased on bobblehead's bobblepods. This system is much more efficent than a stadium ;).

420weedman

One bulb per 4x4 area. Surround each bulb with 4-6 plants 16-24" tall at start of flower. Adjust flower height to suit your strains, you are shooting for 2-3' tall plants at the end of stretch. Search vertical dount for visual reference. The redemption thread in my sig starts with a vertical doughnut and evolves into a vert rack setup biased on bobblehead's bobblepods. This system is much more efficent than a stadium ;).
Nice setup dude.. Thing is i`m growing for me and 2 other MM patients and need to pack in 73 plants into the 16x16 room.. So i guess my question would be can i grow vertical by just hanging them on top of the canopy with same results as horizonal..?? or will that just give me alot of popcorn buds..??..

What do you mean 'on the flat' ?
soory about that..i meant packed on the floor not racked or stadium style..:tiphat:

watts

ohms
Veteran
no. it would be inefficient to hang bare bulbs above plants. If you're going to put bulbs above plants just stick with horizontal and reflectors.

RetroGrow

Veteran
It sounds like you are doing sea of green. You can make a cheap "stadium" just using boards and cinder blocks. That's what I would do in that space. You can let plants grow a bit taller, and yield should increase significantly. No more pesky light housings.

420weedman

no. it would be inefficient to hang bare bulbs above plants. If you're going to put bulbs above plants just stick with horizontal and reflectors. You obviously didn't spend many many many hours reading about vert like you said.

Oh i`ve been reading bro..lol.. Just some of the threads are kinda conflicting.. I see some pics with bare bulbs hanging on top and some down low...Just wanted to know if it would be the same as horizontal..lol..now i know..!! Thanks..lol

It sounds like you are doing sea of green. You can make a cheap "stadium" just using boards and cinder blocks. That's what I would do in that space. You can let plants grow a bit taller, and yield should increase significantly. No more pesky light housings.

U hit it on the head bro.. Want to rid myself of all the hoods ect ect..lol.. Vert seems like the way to go..!!.. Maybe i`ll just have to take the time and do a stadium or rack setup .. I`ll keep looking to see if i can figure out what would be best for the room size..Thanks..!!:tiphat:

Jamorg13

The reason why on some threads the lights look like they are hanging vertically above the garden is because people sometimes raise the lights to take pictures.

Grizz

Veteran
you can do as you say but you would still need some kind of reflector over the top of the bulb. preferably a parabolic but reality says you would still be better off just using your horiz hoods untill your ready to do as mister d said and use vert screens and drop one 1000 in the middle or two stacked 600 watters, all about choices and yields. im sure you could get as big of yield off less plants going vert

420weedman

The reason why on some threads the lights look like they are hanging vertically above the garden is because people sometimes raise the lights to take pictures.

lol..ya i guess i didnt really look at it that way.. Either way i wanted to make sure before i move on..:tiphat:

you can do as you say but you would still need some kind of reflector over the top of the bulb. preferably a parabolic but reality says you would still be better off just using your horiz hoods untill your ready to do as mister d said and use vert screens and drop one 1000 in the middle or two stacked 600 watters, all about choices and yields. im sure you could get as big of yield off less plants going vert

I`m reading up on a couple other threads here to see if i can figure out the best way to do this.. I really like to keep the plant number if i can in that amount of space.. Clones are all Purple Kush and seem to grow well but i think with verts i can get more out of them by the threads i`ve been reading about it..lol.. Thanks..!!:thank you:

Grizz

Veteran
well if you can get as much yield with less plants whats the differance ? the way i see it you could get 10 to 11 4x4 pods in that space with 4 to 6 plants per pod and still have room to walk in the middle and get at least 1 lb per pod and probably more with stacked bulbs

420weedman

well if you can get as much yield with less plants whats the differance ? the way i see it you could get 10 to 11 4x4 pods in that space with 4 to 6 plants per pod and still have room to walk in the middle and get at least 1 lb per pod and probably more with stacked bulbs

Thanks for the info bro.. I only have 8 1k hps lights for now.. I can get 1 lb per light horizontal but i`m thinking i can get more with the vert setup and get rid of the hoods tubes ect ect..lol..

U run 1 light for each pod right..??. I`ll look more into that idea as well dude.. At the time i`m reading up on the racks..lol.. Maybe someone else can make up my mind for me in one of those threads.lol.. Thanks..!!:thank you: