What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Best Vert Bulbs

5th

Veteran
I just got one of these Ushio 600w's today actually. Seems a shit ton brighter instead of the cheap generic shit I had given to me when I bought a few ballast/reflector/bulb combo's. Anyone using these in switchable ballasts...or do I have to go shopping for some more magnetics?

Digilux 600mh blows

Digilux 600mh blows

picture.php

picture.php

AOD2012

I have the key, now i need to find the lock..
Veteran
Craven, how did that happen? Oh man ever since I switched over to vert, everytime I am in the room I freak out that the bulbs gonna burst with my face right in front of it.

aod

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
The perceived benefits of vertical lighting is deeper penetration into the canopy. When using vertical lighting, it is important to rotate plants 180 degrees at least once a day; 4 would be better and > 12 better still.

As an alternative to putting your light in the center of your plants, consider putting 4ft HO T5s on the outsides. Place them such that the bottom of the fixture is positioned just above the bottom leaf sets.

catman

half cat half man half baked
Veteran
I took the advice from growers I most admired and use Ushio 600w on a digi.

catman

half cat half man half baked
Veteran
The perceived benefits of vertical lighting is deeper penetration into the canopy. When using vertical lighting, it is important to rotate plants 180 degrees at least once a day; 4 would be better and > 12 better still.

As an alternative to putting your light in the center of your plants, consider putting 4ft HO T5s on the outsides. Place them such that the bottom of the fixture is positioned just above the bottom leaf sets.

I believe most of us agree that it is best to not rotate the plants at all when surrounding a bulb. When you move a plant, it wants to adjust its structure and foliage to the direction of the light which causes excessive stretching that leads to weak stems and eventually smaller buds. Not rotating the plant leaves ya with bigger buds primarily on one side of the plant.

Four HIDs in the corners works great for trees.

megayields

Grower of Connoisseur herb's.
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I believe most of us agree that it is best to not rotate the plants at all when surrounding a bulb. When you move a plant, it wants to adjust its structure and foliage to the direction of the light which causes excessive stretching that leads to weak stems and eventually smaller buds. Not rotating the plant leaves ya with bigger buds primarily on one side of the plant.

Four HIDs in the corners works great for trees.

Catman is right, I put Reflectix behind my 3 level stadium and trim away the back side to add weight the the branches facing the bulbs, (shrug).... I just pulled 4 lbs and it would have been more but I did not load up,the room like I should have, like DHF says.....plant numbers = yields' yeah I don't move my plants at all....just my two cents.

5th

Veteran
I took the advice from growers I most admired and use Ushio 600w on a digi.

This is what I'm talking about...guy at the grow shop says only use the HPS ballast I've got as its a conversion bulb. On the box it says only to use an HPS ballast...are we talking about the same bulb here? I checked the website and only found the Ushio 600w "SUPER Metal Halide with Optimized Blue and Red Spectrum"

Was bright when I installed it yesterday...now its about as bright as my T8's ffs...

Only reason I haven't stuck it in a digi yet is the fucker cost me $180. (yeah I know I can gettem' cheaper) So whats the deal? Plug it into a digi/switchable n' see what happens?

MMJQA

seems like in 600 hps ushio's are superior and in 1000 hps the horts???

please correct me if I'm wrong

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
I swear to god my 600w Ushio fired on a NextGen ballast is brighter than a 1000watt hortilux fired on a core and coil. Works just fine in the vertical position. Got mine for $75 shipped I believe

Change the capacitor on your core and coil and you'll probably change your mind about which is brighter. :tiphat:

Stay Safe! :blowbubbles:

Latest posts

Latest posts