What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Repuk's First Outdoor Run: ACE's Honduras, Ethiopian and Lebanese

repuk

Altruistic Hazeist
Veteran
Thank you everyone!! :tiphat:

Tangwena: Is the roots when they're small my concern... here sun hits so hard that anything black, or dark, gets scorching hot... have to use light colored pots, otherwise the roots get "cooked" inside.

Some folks even re-use polystyrene containers (Styrofoam), like cheap beach coolers as pots on balconies, yards, etc here.

repuk

Altruistic Hazeist
Veteran
Chiken Manure Tricks
Sticky Sat: I read you use fresh chicken manure teas?

I have plenty of supply of chicken manure, but not skilled at all on using it, any tips?

One thing I noticed is the "fermented/messed up water" hens like to make on their drinking buckets (smells horribly) is incredible as fertilizer... I happened to empty it regularly on a Avocado pit this winter/spring, and it has multiplied its size/branches/leave mass by five!

Wild Pots
I have two pots (Honduras x Ethiopian and Ethiopian x Honduras) with three plants each; they're wild, unsexed yet plants that sprouted on used (depleted) soil.

I plan to cull the males, and feed with each watering instead of repotting, will be less traumatic than cutting roots and repotting (I think) so the fertilizing will be key... and I'm not used at all at fertilizing in soil :shucks: so any tips are welcome!

I have top-dressed the pots with leonardite, but I'm afraid it takes a while to be available for the plants?

New Girls on the Block
Sowed two "Fruity Jack" seeds I got as gifts with a soil purchase to test my (nill) outdoor seed sowing, and both are alive and kicking! :biggrin:

Sticky Sat

Hello Repuk :)

for seedlings i use about 1/4 teaspoon of fresh chicken shit for a 2 L bottle of water.
i add 2 ml of EM (efficient micro-organisme), 1 ml of honey, mix all very well and let it sit for the night.

More generally, i follow KNF principle and try my best to keep soil's life thriving and diversified... i care for bacterias, fungi etc... and they take care of the plants... :)
Not like Peter's, Jack's or Yara would (used these for decades...), but in a more philosophically satisfying way, and you can re-use your soil forever... :)

repuk

Altruistic Hazeist
Veteran
Thanks Sticky Sat! What's EM???

What would be your recipe for full grown girls (like the GTxPanama cuts or the wild sprouted pot?)?

Update

Six days ago:
picture.php

Yesterday:

Left: Honduras x Ethiopian wild sprouts
Right: GT x Panama cuts. They're stretching like mad, about 20cm/8in between internodes!

picture.php

Sticky Sat

Thanks Sticky Sat! What's EM???

What would be your recipe for full grown girls (like the GTxPanama cuts or the wild sprouted pot?)?

Hey brother, the plants are beautiful... :)

You'll find a ton of interesting things about KNF and EM on Chris Trump's youtube site...

i've never grown those strains and in such a different weather from mine so wouldn't know for sure but, in doubt, would always go for a rather diluted tea and increase from there if needed.

it also depends if you want to go full organic... i'm "losing" about 20 % in weight but it's because our days are very short. Yours should allow more growth to compensate for the loss...

i know you speak these plants' language perfectly and don't have the slightest doubt you'll make wonders and amaze us once again... :)

Peace... :)

Last edited:

repuk

Altruistic Hazeist
Veteran
Thanks Sticky!!!

I spotted an unmature cottonnet on a branch of a plant on the Honduras pot, and another on the Ethiopian pot, they're clearly "farmed" by ants.

Removed them and cleaned the stem with hidrogen peroxide.

Gonna spray some neem with peroxide...

Summer is being lighter this year, but we still reach 36C and no rains, cannot understand how cotonets (which have almost completely destroyed the wild Opuntia ficus-indica population here) can survive...

This year I have a local "bug squad" at the outdoor grow site (hens), so far grasshopper population seems to be in check.

Sticky Sat

These cottonets are a huge problem here... they're bad enough by themselves but they're also vectors for several viruses... Been fighting them with good enough results by adding 4 drops of tea-tree essential oil for a liter of the usual neem oil mix spray. They hate it... ;)

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Hey brother, the plants are beautiful... :)

You'll find a ton of interesting things about KNF and EM on Chris Trump's youtube site...

i've never grown those strains and in such a different weather from mine so wouldn't know for sure but, in doubt, would always go for a rather diluted tea and increase from there if needed.

it also depends if you want to go full organic... i'm "losing" about 20 % in weight but it's because our days are very short. Yours should allow more growth to compensate for the loss...

i know you speak these plants' language perfectly and don't have the slightest doubt you'll make wonders and amaze us once again... :)

Peace... :)
Chris Trump's YouTube channel seriously rocks. I particularly like the IMO videos.

repuk

Altruistic Hazeist
Veteran
Update

Update

Time for an update...

Seedlings
Three new seedlings are growing now: 2x Fruity Jack I got as gifts, and 1x Zamal x Nepal Jam (Zamal Bliss).

Intend to sow Panama Haze and Haze x Kali China as soon as available at ACE.

New Girls
Two new girls: Zamaldelica x Kali China and Tikal x Panama crosses were brought from the Shed outdoors. They have been repotted to 30L pots with 100% coco.

They look horrible right now, but will post before/after pictures when they have had the time to stablish outdoors, right now they're horrible, shed was reaching 36C daily.

Sexing
Sadly, it seems that the two biggest (> 2.5 meters) wild plants that sprouted on last year Ethiopian pot are males:

picture.php

There are three more plants in this pot, much smaller. Will cull males today so that they have more food in the pot for them...

dugzy

Just checking in, GT x Panama i am looking forward to seeing in flower!

Hope all is good in your world repuk :)

repuk

Altruistic Hazeist
Veteran
Thanks dugzy! :tiphat:

Two males from Ethiopian pot have been culled, a couple potential girls still in the pot.

In the Honduras pot (left in next picture) remains 3 plants that could be potentially girls.

Golden Tiger x Panama are crawing for a repot (will be repotted today).

picture.php

Starting to throw hairs...

picture.php

Seedlings
Sadly one of the Fruity Jack seedlings caught red mites... :cry: low hopes on her.

Zamal Bliss and remaning Fruity Jack seems unaffected.

Sticky Sat

Impressive girls brother ! :) Looks like lots of delicious cobs are coming... ;)

Not sure about red ones but most other mites hate neem oil + tea tree oil... :)

Have a nice week end :)

repuk

Altruistic Hazeist
Veteran
Sprayed and Repotted

Sprayed and Repotted

Repotting

Golden Tiger x Panama were repotted to 190L pots.

Added to each pot:

- 110L Spagnum substrate
- 1L Leonardite
- About 350gr Bat Guano

Mixed it thoroughly and repotted. Girls had already stretched the following day!

picture.php

Spraying
I made a spraying solution adding:

- Neem oil: 8ml/L
- Potassic Soap: 3ml/l
- Tea Tree essential oil: 4-5 drops per L

And thoroughly sprayed all the girls twice... they loved it!

Now I understand why most mites wouldn't like tea tree, what a smell!

Will be spraying again today.

I miss Zamaldelica for shooting times... it was always a great experience and brought tons of inspiration when taking pictures! :biggrin:

Koondense

Veteran
Things are getting serious, nice pots repuk. The plants are gonna love the root space ;)
Now we wait...

Cheers

repuk

Altruistic Hazeist
Veteran
:laughing: thanks gents! :tiphat:

Really excited about these monsters.

Left to Right:

- Wild Honduras x Ethiopian pot, three girls!!!
- GTxPanama
- GTxPanama
- Wild Ethiopian x Honduras pot (a girl too!)

picture.php

Third wild pot (Ethiopian x Honduras) not seen here, is unsexed yet, though two decently sized ones feel like girls, already culled two males.

Last treatment: generously sprinkled pot surface with diatomaceous earth; this helps with bugs, and plants love it, specially with this superhot weather (brings silica).

dugzy

Look at them go! Gorgeous gals

Love the detail on the GT x Pan, thanks for that pic should be an interesting hybrid.

Hope you havent been hammered by recent weather events