What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Have you looked at the North Pole lately?

St. Phatty

A. Alaska needs more Women. You should give women tax breaks etc. so they move there.

B. Because of the cost of living situation in the US, it seems logical for people to move to Alaska. I hate to say it but my guess is you might have more suburbs.

I looked it up,

"As of 2017, Alaska has an estimated population of 739,818. In 2005, the population of Alaska was 663,661, which is an increase of 5,906, or 0.9%, from the prior year and an increase of 36,730, or 5.9%, since the year 2000."

Plus Alaska is smart about river mining (they allow it).

And there's the oil.

Alaska may not be as wealthy as when they were handing out the rebates to citizens, but they're in so much better shape than, for example, Illinois or Chicago.

I predict Alaska will see a whole bunch of newbies from the other states.

I would also guess I'm not the first person to make that prediction, and be wrong.

M

moose eater

We still get our Alaska Permanent Fund Dividend checks, Phatty. Just the last 2-3 years they've pulled back from the more strict application of the statutory formula for what that is or should be (PFD checks from the PF Earnings Reserve acct.). 2 years ago it should've been about $2,900 per person, and was instead $1,100. Last year it should've been near $3,000, and I think it was about $1,600.

This year it would again be about $3,000 and the legislature is dead-locked on what to do.

At the moment, oil is down to less than 500,000 barrels a day, whereas in the early 80s (when we were still giving it away at well below value) we were up to about 2 million bbls/day.

The motivation that SB21 would lead to increased productivity was a presumed fallacy by the gullible and corrupt, & it never materialized in actual production. They tried to claim that a slight bump in production shortly after SB21 passed was a result of SB21, but the time-line was not in synch, and the fact was that the 2011 legislative forecast had predicted that ever-so-slight increase in production years earlier.

Oilies; if their mouths are moving, you can be assured bullshit is flowing.

At the end of the day, the easy, better quality sweet crude is running out, and they're improving on their tech re. directional drilling, doing wells off-shore on man-made 'Islands' in more shallow water, which negates Alaska's take in revenues.

We're sinking, and I'm not talking about the Islands.

Alaska's earnings into the Permanent Fund account(s) come more from the investment portfolio these days (ie Wall St.), than from the oil production itself. Fact.

We COULD have been similar to Norway, and built a Permanent Fund that would outlive the next 15-20-30 generations, but instead, we'll be lucky if it lasts the next ten years.

Irony? The current Governor is pretending this mess was made by others (and some of it was), and that he now has to save the day via austerity, and employing fiscal responsibility.

Fact is he's an ignorant ideologue, Ayn Rand wanna-be, who, in fact, has supported repeated giveaways to the Oilies through the years, when he was a lowly legislator, and even had the balls to appoint Sean Parnell, another former Oily Governor, as his oil advisor; Parnell, as Governor, the main player in the legislature's passage of the SB21 give-away several years back, which saw 2 senators (Miciche and Meyer, Meyer now being our Lt. Gov) who just happened to work for Conoco, being able to vote, in violation of ethics rules re. conflicts of interest, because another sleazoid SOB, then-Senator Pete Kelly, negated the strength of the legislative ethics rules by simply protesting them semi-anonymously from the floor of the Senate.. Another POS that needs to encounter someone who knows him for what he is, while in a bar room with 'diminished inhibitions.'

I was a serious player in opposition, and in the effort to put SB21 down via referendum. In my 'hood, we won 5 of 6 districts in favor of repeal, and nearly won the 6th, where the Koch Bros' oil refinery used to be. The Oilies ran $20 million in ads, not counting their other expensive maneuvering, and my crew had all of about $14,000. Up here we kicked their worthless, lying, thieving asses.

Parnell, Dunleavy, et al, and the likes of them, have been gifting sweet-heart deals to the oilies since before they even had oil running through the pipe, and the Major producers have gotten nailed repeatedly in both civil and criminal court for the thieving lying bastards they are. I wish heavy karma on them in spades. Maybe WITH a spade.

We convicted 9 of the worthless legislative mofo's, and others, in 2006, for various forms of corruption. Their sentences were too short. They should've been buried six ft under. (It's not too late, for some of them). ;^>)

Re. the ratio of women to men, Kodiak traditionally has had more women; a temperate coastal climate, albeit damp, fishing money, and good cocaine have always been my best guesses as to why. ;^>) *Lived in their harbor, as well as behind Boy Scout Lake in 78/79, briefly.

Re. population growth, we've been recording negative population growth the last couple years. When the cash runs out, so do the vampires.

Suburbs? Los Anchorage has numerous 'burbs; Wasilla (Palin's home), Palmer, Peters Creek, Chugiak, Sutton, Houston, Big lake, Meadow Lakes, Girdwood, Bird Creek, Whittier, and a half dozen or more others.

But you don't want to live any place near there, unless kamikaze driving in the wee hours of the work week IS your pastime hobby. Of course, they have cheaper LNG and LP, as well as cheaper electricity. But you couldn't pay me to live there.

For that matter, check violent crime stats for both Fairbanks AND the Mat-Su/Anchorage areas. we're not always as 'beautiful' as many think.

Mines are a mixed bag; some do it responsibly, and some don't. I've been around them, at a distance, and can point to both types of players. One whom I wish would fall off the planet, as he defiles every place he goes, including the drinking water from the stream/creek he unfortunately lives on, up-stream from friends in the bush.

I forced some compliance issues with him this last year, but we're not through with each other.

Anyway, the old joke used to go, "Visit lovely downtown Anchorage; just a 20 minute drive from beautiful Alaska." These days that might be closer to 45 to 60 minutes.

No, I don't anticipate many folks coming here to get rich any more, unless they didn't do much -current- research on our circumstances. Like Appalachia in the early mining and timber days, our past 'leadership' has taken tainted money in back-room deals, or just been plain gullible and/or stupid, and we're screwed long-term now.

<Rant off now>

Phaeton

Speed of Dark
Veteran
I strayed a bit from acceptable back in 1978 and forgot there are functional people fighting for the same things I thought I was fighting for.

Alaska has rare earths (transition metals) that have become more valuable than gold. Our normal source has traditionally been China, although Afghanistan has large amounts as well.
Conditions being as they are I foresee approval of mining inland of our coastal subduction zone.
Alaska is a third world country owned by the United States and subject to the same whims as all the US's occupied countries.
They need our rare earths same as they needed our oil.
They will take them the same as well.

Thank goodness I am too old to act, I still have much anger inside me.

M

moose eater

Yep, there's a number of valuable metals here. And fish and timber.

Many of those items have been squandered, via over-extraction (timber and fish, in particular), for which we've been compensated poorly.

The State Constitution, under Article 8, Sections 1 & 2, states that the resources of the State of Alaska belong to the People of Alaska, and are to be developed "for the maximum benefit of the People."

When I processed king crab, and other crab in the later 70s, through 1980, an average large King crab was up to about 21 lbs. The crabbing industry in Kodiak, the Aleutians, etc., were like the mafia in some ways, where penalties for even setting unbaited pots was concerned, if they had said "Strike." I'll skip the dramatic stories attached.

By about 1981-1983, the average large King crab was down to about 11 lbs.

As with many fisheries, the excessively science-minded folks looked for this disease, or that cause, or... I believe in the end the cause was simple; they paid, in 1978 dollars, about $1.25/lb. at the dock, as often as not (it fluctuated some), most successful crabbers I knew had new cars, new homes, expensive toys, lots of cocaine, etc., Greed and poor self-discipline/monitoring, caused a measurable reduction in size and health of the population.

I recall one boat coming in with ~250,000 lbs of king crab, and crew shares, if I recall correctly, for that load, were about $10,000 each. Either way, BIG money back in those days, for one load of crab, acknowledging that the lifestyle of the crabbers involved serious risks.

I don't know of any of those fisheries, whether salmon, crab, or shrimp, etc., that flourish the way they did a mere 40 years ago

When I worked briefly for the U.S Forest Circus in 1979, wintering @ Wrangell Island, in SE, in the old First Nations residential/boarding school there, converted to a dormitory for the YACC, much of the timber harvested commercially for lumber was loaded onto huge ships in the harbor, with hydraulic doors at various depth levels in the hulls, and shipped to Japan. The economics of it were, once factoring in the federal subsidies, we were doing as we've been doing with our oil; essentially paying them to take the wood. Beautiful Sitka spruce.

Out at the SW side of Mitkof Island, at Woodpecker Cove, we set up a spike camp in the Spring, & they had us doing mistletoe eradication (not the stuff you kiss under at Christmas, but rather a fungus that thrives in conifers, especially hemlock, in sunlit areas, like old clear-cuts), so we went into older clear-cuts, ranging in age from initial cuts done in 1942 for WWII aircraft construction, etc., then later cut throughout the early and mid-70s.

The diameter of the 1942 stumps of Sitka spruce were such that we could sometimes get up to 9, healthy, young crew members on a stump for a photo...

By 1976, the average diameter of almost ANY tree in the areas we worked, was perhaps about 36 to 42 inches or so.

The methods of timber harvest there had resulted in massive erosion of top soil in those hills, exposed ground being subjected to rainforest precipitation, carried downhill, and the soil left simply wouldn't support the size of trees it once had in the winds that sometimes came there.

Anyway, they would mark a perimeter around the old cuts, and we were to drop anything larger than 4" that wasn't spruce (yellow or red cedar, hemlock, cotton wood, you name it; kill it and leave it).. Mistletoe eradication, my ass; we were creaming the next spruce harvest, and paying others to take it, from land owned by the U.S., meaning ALL of us..

There were other issues we encountered while there, specifically left by LOG Logging, the crew that had last been in there in 1976; unexploded charges left wired into drilled holes, in numerous places.

Fellers get paid by the bd. ft., and so if not useful wood, and they're not going to get paid for it, the companies would, by that era, sometimes send in a blast crew to knock out an area of scrub wood, or do similar for rock formations.

We behave like an invasive species when we look at our stewardship of our own resources and environment. And we've had weak-kneed, poorly disciplined, greedy and corrupt persons at the helm more often than not.

"Burn down the mission, if we're gonna' stay alive." (Elton John)

M

moose eater

We get air currents from the N. Pacific, bringing air into Alaska, closer to the coast, and maybe a bit inland, circling up and around, then back down, when the pressures, fronts and winds are right, Trich, but here in the Tanana Valley, it's more thermal 'ceiling' over the bowl caused by inversions, mostly in cold air winter, that seals in 'bad air.'

But the temps at which we see hoar frost (serious ice fog) these days are at temps warmer than we used to see it.

Just another one of the changes brought on these last 20-30 years.

We get ice fog/hoar frost so thick (ice crystals hanging in the air forming what looks like a dense fog), that sometimes visibility can be down to 50-60 ft. Makes for exciting driving in the dark winter days/nights. But again, this feature occurs at warmer temps than it once did.

M

moose eater

When we were fat with oil money, not from getting market value, but from sending 2 million bbls/day down the pipe, 'we' (friends) used to joke about putting giant solar-powered axial fans around the valley 'bowl' perimeter, up high, and blowing the inversions and stagnant air out.

Yes, the thinking was reflective of the looseness of cannabis in Alaska back then, heavy drinking for some, as well as good hallucinogens. And lots of time back then to think about abstract ideas, when indoors in the winter. ;^>)

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Environment Canada's chief climatologist: "This is unprecedented." The weather agency confirmed that Canadian Forces Station Alert, located in the northernmost inhabited place in the entire world, hit a record of 21 C on Sunday. On Monday, the military listening post on the top of Ellesmere Island had reached 20 C by noon and inched slightly higher later in the day. Both days, Alert was warmer than Victoria, B.C., a Canadian go-to for balmy climes. The average July high for Alert is 7 C. Phillips said that means the heat wave at the top of the world is the equivalent of Toronto registering a daytime high of 42 C.

St. Phatty

Environment Canada's chief climatologist: "This is unprecedented." The weather agency confirmed that Canadian Forces Station Alert, located in the northernmost inhabited place in the entire world, hit a record of 21 C on Sunday. On Monday, the military listening post on the top of Ellesmere Island had reached 20 C by noon and inched slightly higher later in the day. Both days, Alert was warmer than Victoria, B.C., a Canadian go-to for balmy climes. The average July high for Alert is 7 C. Phillips said that means the heat wave at the top of the world is the equivalent of Toronto registering a daytime high of 42 C.

Normally, the only For-Sure part of man-made Climate Change is, the CO2 increase.

Weather is sort of a geologic process. To make a factual statement about weather changes, it helps to have weather data going back more than a century.

So I'm reluctant to call the warming trend observed by so many people a For-Sure part of Man-Made Climate Change.

But - G*d Damn !!! All these individual facts about warming in Alaska & the Arctic.

Lyfespan

heres a thought guys.

what if the ice caps are only here for a limited time, no matter what humans do?

could what killed off the dinos, been a gift for humanlife?

what if the real life race is to figure out how to slow this rapidly accelerating thaw, or to terraform the next furthest planet in preparation for an ever heating star?

we take time for granted more than we think, and we have become complacent is our thinking and lives.

look at us in retrospects to the story of the ants and grasshopper.

igrowone

Veteran
midsummer in the arctic

midsummer in the arctic

seasons greetings from the NSIDC, from their current status report

http://nsidc.org/arcticseaicenews/2019/07/beware-the-ides-of-july/Beware the Ides of July

Loss of ice extent through the first half of July matched loss rates observed in 2012, the year which had the lowest September sea ice extent in the satellite record. Surface melt has become widespread and there is low concentration ice in the Beaufort Sea. However, projections suggest that a new record low extent is unlikely this year.

Attachments

• N_daily_extent.jpg
    N_daily_extent.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 11
  • N_iqr_timeseries.jpg
    N_iqr_timeseries.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 12

Gry

The people who gamed this out have a great track record for taking advantage of us.

Their idea of effectiveness is that they and their cohorts make short term profits, classic
example being when they shipped our industrial and manufacturing base to
the dirty rotten Chi-coms. (tongue in cheek usage, I think well of China)
Their were no shortage of traditional military people who suggested we maintain certain
strategic operations here.
Like the ability to make basic medications such as antibiotics.
Hearing to our leaders speaking of China, I can't help but wince.

F

Frylock

heres a thought guys.

what if the ice caps are only here for a limited time, no matter what humans do?

could what killed off the dinos, been a gift for humanlife?

what if the real life race is to figure out how to slow this rapidly accelerating thaw, or to terraform the next furthest planet in preparation for an ever heating star?

we take time for granted more than we think, and we have become complacent is our thinking and lives.

look at us in retrospects to the story of the ants and grasshopper.

If you can terraform Mars then i would say you can do a whole lot more here on earth than is currently being done.... why not think about that??

trichrider

Kiss My Ring
Veteran
The bucket list

Correcting historic sea surface temperature measurements reveals a simpler pattern of ocean warming

By Leah Burrows
July 17, 2019

• Ocean_PicWEB.jpg

New research from Harvard corrects decades of sea surface temperature data, solving a long-standing mystery about global climate change.

Something odd happened in the oceans in the early 20th century. The North Atlantic and Northeast Pacific appeared to warm twice as much as the global average while the Northwest Pacific cooled over several decades.
Atmospheric and oceanic models have had trouble accounting for these differences in temperature changes, leading to a mystery in climate science: why did the oceans warm and cool at such different rates in the early 20th century?
Now, research from Harvard University and the UK’s National Oceanography Centre points to an answer both as mundane as a decimal point truncation and as complicated as global politics. Part history, part climate science, this research corrects decades of data and suggests that ocean warming occurred in a much more homogenous way.
The research is published in Nature.
Humans have been measuring and recording the sea surface temperature for centuries. Sea surface temperatures helped sailors verify their course, find their bearings, and predict stormy weather.
Until the 1960s, most sea surface temperature measurements were taken by dropping a bucket into the ocean and measuring the temperature of the water inside.

A demonstration of the measurement of sea surface temperature from 1947.
The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) and the National Science Foundation’s National Center for Atmospheric Research (NCAR) maintains a collection of sea surface temperature readings dating back to the early 19th Century. The database contains more than 155 million observations from fishing, merchant, research and navy ships from all over the world. These observations are vital to understanding changes in ocean surface temperature over time, both natural and anthropogenic.
They are also a statistical nightmare.
How do you compare, for example, the measurements of a British Man-of-War from 1820 to a Japanese fishing vessel from 1920 to a U.S. Navy ship from 1950? How do you know what kind of buckets were used, and how much they were warmed by sunshine or cooled by evaporation while being sampled?
For example, a canvas bucket left on a deck for three minutes under typical weather conditions can cool by 0.5 degrees Celsius more than a wooden bucket measured under the same conditions. Given that global warming during the 20th Century was about 1 degree Celsius, the biases associated with different measurement protocols requires careful accounting.
“There are gigabytes of data in this database and every piece has a quirky story,” said Peter Huybers, Professor of Earth and Planetary Sciences and of Environmental Science and Engineering at the Harvard John A. Paulson School of Engineering and Applied Sciences (SEAS) and senior author of the paper. “The data is rife with peculiarities.”
A lot of research has been done to identify and adjust for these peculiarities. In 2008, for example, researchers found that a 0.3-degree Celsius jump in sea surface temperatures in 1945 was the result of measurements taken from engine room intakes. Even with these corrections, however, the data is far from perfect and there are still unexplained changes in sea surface temperature.
In this research, Huybers and his colleagues proposed a comprehensive approach to correcting the data, using a new statistical technique that compares measurements taken by nearby ships.
“Our approach looks at the differences in sea surface temperature measurements from distinct groups of ships when they pass nearby, within 300 kilometers and two days of one another,” said Duo Chan, a graduate student in the Harvard Graduate School of Arts and Sciences and first author of the paper. “Using this approach, we found 17.8 million near crossings and identified some big biases in some groups.”
The researchers focused on data from 1908 to 1941, broken down by the country of origin of the ship and the “decks,” a term stemming from the fact that marine observations were stored using decks of punch cards. One deck includes observations from both Robert Falcon Scott’s and Ernest Shackleton’s voyages to the Antarctic.
“These data have made a long journey from the original logbooks to the modern archive and difficult choices were made to fit the available information onto punch cards or a manageable number of magnetic tape reels,” said Elizabeth Kent, a co-author from the UK National Oceanography Centre. “We now have both the methods and the computer power to reveal how those choices have affected the data, and also pick out biases due to variations in observing practice by different nations, bringing us closer to the real historical temperatures.”
SeaSurfaceTempFigure4_WEB.jpg

This chart shows annual sea surface temperature changes from different datasets in the North Pacific (top) and North Atlantic (bottom). The blue line indicates the corrected data from this research. It shows greater warming in the North Pacific and less warming in the North Atlantic relative to previous estimates.
The researchers found two new key causes of the warming discrepancies in the North Pacific and North Atlantic.
The first had to do with changes in Japanese records. Prior to 1932, most records of sea surface temperature from Japanese vessels in the North Pacific came from fishing vessels. This data, spread across several different decks, was originally recorded in whole-degrees Fahrenheit, then converted to Celsius, and finally rounded to tenths-of-a-degree.
However, in the lead-up to World War II, more and more Japanese readings came from naval ships. These data were stored in a different deck and when the U.S. Air Force digitized the collection, they truncated the data, chopping off the tenths-of-a-degree digits and recording the information in whole-degree Celsius.
Unrecognized effects of truncation largely explain the rapid cooling apparent in foregoing estimate of Pacific sea surface temperatures between 1935 and 1941, said Huybers. After correcting for the bias introduced by truncation, the warming in the Pacific is much more uniform.
While Japanese data holds the key to warming in the Pacific in the early 20th century, it’s German data that plays the most important role in understanding sea surface temperatures in the North Atlantic during the same time.
In the late 1920s, German ships began providing a majority of data in the North Atlantic. Most of these measurements are collected in one deck, which, when compared to nearby measurements, is significantly warmer. When adjusted, the warming in the North Atlantic becomes more gradual.
With these adjustments, the researchers found that rates of warming across the North Pacific and North Atlantic become much more similar and have a warming pattern closer to what would be expected from rising greenhouse gas concentrations. However, discrepancies still remain and the overall rate of warming found in the measurements is still faster than predicted by model simulations.
CorrectsGif.gif

Movie of sea surface temperature corrections and the predominant groups reporting sea surface temperatures. The upper panel shows the estimated sea surface temperature correction in degrees Celsius, and the bottom panel indicates the groups that provided the measurements. Groups are typically associated with particular nations and 'decks' of data, respectively indicated by a two-letter code and deck number. GB stands for Great Britain; DE for Germany; NL for the Netherlands; JP for Japan; RU for Russia.
“Remaining mismatches highlight the importance of continuing to explore how the climate has been radiatively forced, the sensitivity of the climate, and its intrinsic variability. At the same time, we need to continue combing through the data---through data science, historical sleuthing, and a good physical understanding of the problem, I bet that additional interesting features will be uncovered,” said Huybers.
This research was co-authored by David I. Berry from the UK National Oceanography Centre. The research was supported by the Harvard Global Institute, the National Science Foundation, and the Natural Environment Research Council.

https://www.seas.harvard.edu/news/2019/07/bucket-list

trichrider

Kiss My Ring
Veteran
EPA: Air Quality Improvement Report Is an ‘Untold Environmental Success Story’

Andrew-Wheeler-640x480.jpg
Alex Wong/Getty ImagesPenny Starr18 Jul 201945 5:31
The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) released its annual “Our Nation’s Air” report on air quality on Wednesday, which documents how air quality continues to improve across America, dating back to the amended Clean Air Act of 1970.

“One of America’s great but untold environmental success stories is that we have made — and continue to make — great improvements in our air quality, thanks largely to state and federal implementation of the Clean Air Act and innovation in the private sector,” EPA Administrator Andrew Wheeler said in the announcement of the report’s release.
“Emissions of all key air pollutants dropped between 2016 and 2018, and lead and sulfur dioxide concentrations dropped by double-digit percentages during the same period,” Wheeler said.
“The U.S. is a global leader in clean air progress, and we’ve proven that we can protect the environment while growing our economy,” he continued.
“The report released [Tuesday] shows that, between 1970 and 2018, the combined emissions of six key pollutants dropped by 74 percent, while the U.S. economy grew 275 percent,” the press release announcing the report stated.
Some findings of the report include:
From 2016 to 2018, emissions of key air pollutants continued to decline:

• Nitrogen Oxides (NOx) down 8.7 percent
  • Particulate Matter 2.5 (PM 2.5) down 1.9 percent
  • Particulate Matter 10 (Including lead) (PM 10) down 1.2 percent
  • Sulfur Dioxide (SO2) down 7.8 percent
  • Carbon monoxide (CO) down 7.2 percent
  • Volatile Organic Compounds (VOC) down 3.3 percent
In addition, average concentrations of harmful air pollutants decreased considerably across our nation between 1990 and 2018:

• Ground-level ozone (8-hour) down 21 percent
  • Fine Particulate Matter (annual) down 39 percent (from 2000)
  • Coarse Particulate Matter (24-hour) down 26 percent
  • Sulfur dioxide (1-hour) down 89 percent
  • Nitrogen dioxide (annual) down 57 percent
  • Lead (3-month average) down 82 percent (from 2010); and
  • Carbon monoxide (8-hour) down 74 percent
“EPA examines long-term trends to track the nation’s progress in cleaning the air. Air quality concentrations can vary year to year, even as human-caused emissions continue to decline,” the press release stated. “Variations in weather and natural events such as dust storms and wildfires can have an impact on air quality in affected areas.”
“As a whole, human-caused emissions of the six common pollutants dropped in 2018, continuing the long-term trend,” the press release stated. “Despite this, the report shows that monitors in some areas logged increases in concentrations of particulate matter in the outdoor air, due in part to natural events such as wildfires.”
“The increases in these areas had a small, but noticeable, impact on the national average,” the press release stated.
But the little attention the media gave to the report does not provide the good news and instead claims the report contains bad news for Americans and air quality.
U.S. News and World Report took data from the report to provide the bad news in an article entitled, “EPA: Unhealthy Air Days Increased in 2018”:
The number of days with air pollution levels high enough to endanger elderly people or children increased last year, according to the Environmental Protection Agency.
The agency’s annual air quality report found that among 35 major U.S. cities last year, there were a combined 799 days when the air was unhealthy for “sensitive” groups, which the EPA said can include the elderly, children, and people with heart or respiratory diseases.
But the media outlet does not note that the increase is slight and that if those statistics are averaged for unhealthy air for sensitive groups in those 35 cities, it would mean poor air quality 22 days per year.
“Still, the trend of lower reported emissions but higher air pollutant concentrations raises questions,” the media outlet reported. “Even 2016 reported 97 fewer unhealthy air days than 2018, and that year was the hottest on record and experienced many wildfires.”
The media outlet linked to a NASA report released earlier this year that it said proved global warming is taking place.
Reuters also led its article by stating, “The number of unhealthy air days in major cities across the United States has risen sharply over the last two years.”
However, the EPA report shows increases in unhealthy days went up only slightly, from 721 in 2017 to 799 in 2018.
In 2012, the year Barack Obama won reelection, the number of unhealthy days was 1,296.
“Air and health advocates said the figures were nothing to celebrate,” Reuters reported.
The media outlet spoke with Paul Billings, senior vice president of the American Lung Association, who “warned that Trump administration efforts to roll back environmental rules to bolster economic growth raised the risk to air and water quality.”

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/...ort-is-an-untold-environmental-success-story/

kickarse

Good to see we are off to Mars now, if all the true believers pissed off to there, they could save the world

save the rest of us from their fake man/woman/little kiddie's made "global warming" bullshit as well

97 % of us(normal people) would like ya's to go somewhere, Mars will do

The great wheel chair thinker would agree, we all go live on Mars and .........die out

its a pity it won't happen, humans will never survive anywhere but mother earth
we leave here we cease to exist

some part human part robot "human" might leave earth one day? lol lol

Lyfespan

If you can terraform Mars then i would say you can do a whole lot more here on earth than is currently being done.... why not think about that??

got to think about it like this. this planet will only sustain life for so long period, regardless of humans or not. Its ever evolving from its circumstances, and is already in motion, we are just ants.

yes, we can slow the affects of melting, but this ice cube is already rolling faster in the drink than anticipated, and its showing. we have pole shifting, increased surface pressure, as well as transplacement of surface weight thereby increased activity in the plates.

its the sad perception that this earth is something that's just here to stay to support human life, even more pathetic to think that you can stop millions of years of evolution. Acceptance of our demise is so hard to fathom, but it will happen. maybe not tomorrow, but again this is a long game.

the public is guarded from these facts to stop hysteria and discord, its management of humans on a larger scale it incredible as well as retarded from a single persons perspective. keep the public busy and entertained.

why do you think we just started a global mission on space travel? india, japan, russia, china and us have major funds and funders in this. why do you think news agencies are telling the public about untold wealth in the cosmos? or fear tactics of impending doom of meteor or asteroids?

we fight amongst ourselves, being distracted from the NWO plan of placation, all the while quietly preparing for the few to try to survive

Lyfespan

Good to see we are off to Mars now, if all the true believers pissed off to there, they could save the world

save the rest of us from their fake man/woman/little kiddie's made "global warming" bullshit as well

97 % of us(normal people) would like ya's to go somewhere, Mars will do

The great wheel chair thinker would agree, we all go live on Mars and .........die out

its a pity it won't happen, humans will never survive anywhere but mother earth
we leave here we cease to exist

some part human part robot "human" might leave earth one day? lol lol

how the fuck is an ant gonna stop a freight train? the earth will evolve with out us, period.

again thinking cant be so microscopic on this. the earth is on its own path, along with the sun and other planets, completely unchangeable by humans. we can make small influences on what happens, but again millions of years for change.

humans brains are our own worst enemies, it keeps hoping and imagining, but sadly keeps us only distracted while we are dying. life is the big cosmic joke.

kickarse

Love all the doom and gloom on here

its probably the safest time to be alive, in terms of the planet/? trying to kill us that is
its a fairly calm time in history

if it wasn't for the Socialists trying to fuck us over, with all their garbage "man made" crap
we would be having the time of our lives

but no, its all doom and gloom we all going to DIE from something "extreme"

its fucking laughable

Latest posts

Latest posts