What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Curing in a Vacuum

L

LolaGal

How will weed cure in a vacuum? Let's see!

I will be using the Foodsaver and Mason Jars. I have an attachment that allows for vacuum sealing the Mason Jars.

I want to cure some buds in a vacuum, popping the vacuum 3 or 4 times a day to let the weed cure.

Then after curing, the buds will be vacuum sealed and left in the Mason Jars until needed.

Anybody tried this?

What effects will vacuum curing have on the weed?

I think this will be lots of fun. I have some cheese in the fridge I vacuum sealed 4 years ago to see what happens. It looks fresh and delicious. Some day I will open it up and try some Aged American Cheese!

If this thing will keep cheese that long, wonder how well it will keep Buds?

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
This sounds good!
A good ideea would be to also keep a non-vacuum sealed jar with some buds as a control sample.

Good luck! :wave:

Interesting. I would say it would be neat to experiment with this, just watch how much vacuum you place on your container. I can tell you water will boil around 24mm-Hg. So i would imagine that too much vacuum will in a way boil any liquid that remains in there.

L

LolaGal

Interesting. I would say it would be neat to experiment with this, just watch how much vacuum you place on your container. I can tell you water will boil around 24mm-Hg. So i would imagine that too much vacuum will in a way boil any liquid that remains in there.

No boiling water or anything hot around here!

The Foodsaver is a vacuum sealing machine. It will suck out air. They make an attachment that fits over the metal lid of a mason jar. somehow this sucks out the air and leaves the metal lid on there to hold in the air.

So no cooking, heating, etc. Just put in dry buds and suck out the air, move on to the next jar.

Lids can be used over and over and so can jars.

This will allow for curing to take place in the absence of Most of the Oxygen in the jar.

Plus when opening a jar of stored buds, it will be like opening a can of peanuts. You will hear a Woosh sound as the air rushes back into the jar.

So buds should stay as fresh as the day they were placed into the jar, without drying out, etc.

(;) At least this is the theory, I ain't tried it yet )

hippie_lettuce

Garden Nymph
Veteran
This sounds really interesting Lola. I will have to get a Foodsaver too...then when I harvest over 8 oz. I will have to vacuum seal the rest and stash em in the walls! :muahaha:

I agree with the whole control sample idea. Maybe just one bud to see what it would do without the seal.

Dr.Dank

Cannabis 101
Veteran
I had a friend that invented this jars that had a little roach clip attach to the lid looking down wards so you could place the stem of a nice precious bud hanging down with out touching actually touching glass, then he would vacuum it out.... the bud expands I think with no air not too sure :) cool experiment lola

L

LolaGal

Well of course I had to get a new Foodsaver, my old one did not have the accessory port to do this with.

Then the Mason Jar sealer attachment is $10.

So I gave my Mom my old Foodsaver for regular bags. I will use this one mainly for bud processing.

I know marshmallows get really big when you put them in a jar and suck out the air, so I reckon buds may do this as well to some extent.

Will let ya'll know what happens when I get some pics going, waiting on the Mason Jar sealer and foodsaver to get here tomorrow?

I like the idea of fastening a bud to the lid and trying that! I will do it and take a pic for ya'll when it gets here.

No boiling water or anything hot around here!

Sorry I didn't make my self clear. What i ment to say was at Room temp water will boil at 24 mm-Hg. This is the process that almost anyone that does any kind of AC work will preform to remove moisture from the unit before adding the actual refrigerant.

So if you add water to a sealed container and vacuum it too 24 mm-hg (give or take) water will boil at room temp.

It's really neat to watch if you can make it happen

L

LolaGal

I don't know nothing bout no 24mm-hb... lol.

I doubt this here Foodsaver will be putting that much of a hurt on it surely????

Anybody know? I know the Foodsavers have a reputation of cracking the plastic cannisters that they sell with this line of products. So I guess if it will crack it's own plastic container with it's powerful forces??? who knows?? Not me!

But I did misunderstand what you were saying. I think I understand the concept, but surely it won't apply in this situation? surely?

caljim

I'm on the edge. Of what I'm not sure.
Veteran
I too use the food saver w/ the mason jar attachment to cure in and for long term storage.

Works great. Buds sealed today will be as fresh a year or more from now. It's like putting them in a time capsule.

Bud stored in jars w/o the vacuum seem to dry just a bit more over time, not a bad thing, but the vacuumed jars are "fresh" when opened.

habeeb

follow your heart
ICMag Donor
Veteran
R C Clake book I believe said not to air seal a jar, as once the oxygen is absent, the "curing" process stops ???

I just use jars, then seal then up at a long cure

nomaad

Veteran
This is not "a vacuum" like outer space is a vacuum. its a vacuum sealed mason jar. big difference.

L

LolaGal

I too use the food saver w/ the mason jar attachment to cure in and for long term storage.

Works great. Buds sealed today will be as fresh a year or more from now. It's like putting them in a time capsule.

Bud stored in jars w/o the vacuum seem to dry just a bit more over time, not a bad thing, but the vacuumed jars are "fresh" when opened.

Do the buds get bigger when you put a vacuum on them in the jar? Just curious....

thanks for all the posts ya'll!!

nomaad

Veteran
they might expand some... did you see what happens to marshmallows on the vac-seal infomercials?

ChaosCatalunya

5.2 club is now 8.1 club...
Veteran
popping the vacuum 3 or 4 times a day to let the weed cure

Lola, curious as to why you would pop them 3 or 4 times a day ? Are you sticking it in the jar before it is really totally dried ?

I like to jar it when it is ready, but not before, I do check once or twice, but it rarely needs burping.

L

LolaGal

Lola, curious as to why you would pop them 3 or 4 times a day ? Are you sticking it in the jar before it is really totally dried ?

I like to jar it when it is ready, but not before, I do check once or twice, but it rarely needs burping.

When I cure weed in a jar, I let it breathe 3-4 times a day during the curing process.

So I am gonna cure the weed in a vacuum, see what happens!

caljim

I'm on the edge. Of what I'm not sure.
Veteran
Do the buds get bigger when you put a vacuum on them in the jar? Just curious....

I wish!! lol

The food saver is a good tool, but not a miracle machine. Honestly, I like to have some that are vacuum packed and some that are not for a little variety. The non vacuumed buds get that nice golden color after a few months of cure, while the vacuumed buds stay a little truer to their "fresh" taste and look.

Either way you do it, a good cure makes good bud better.

On another note, I hope you got the marinating bowl with your unit. That thing is the cats ass when it comes to quickly infusing foods with flavor.

Lets us know how it works out for ya.

festivus

STAY TOASTY MY FRIENDS!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
LolaGal, thanks for a great thread. Do you have a link for the mason jar attachment?? Thx. in advance!:)

L

LolaGal

I am on dialup, so links are hard for me... sorry.

Go to Amazon and do a search. It will pop right up! There is a wide mouth jar sealer attachment and a regular mouth size as well.

jammie

ganjatologist
Veteran
check out the pump n seal. cost $35 with about 100 seal tabs. best pot grower device after the radio shack microscope. i have jars that have been continuously sealed for 5 months now. after last harvest i burped 1 jar for a week then sealed it with the pumpnseal for 4 weeks and compared to the jars that i burped weekly and the smell and cure were the same. the sealed buds were slightly damper but no mold and they dried right up after an hour.

Latest posts

Latest posts