What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Study: Legal marijuana could generate more than $132 billion in federal tax revenue

Medfinder

Chemon 91
Study: Legal marijuana could generate more than $132 billion in federal tax revenue and 1 million jobs

New Frontier Data, a data analytics firm focused on the cannabis industry, forecasts that if legalized on the federal level, the marijuana industry could create an entirely new tax revenue stream for the government, generating millions of dollars in sales tax and payroll deductions.

Beau Whitney, a senior economist at New Frontier Data.

The analysis shows that if marijuana were fully legal in all 50 states, it would create at least a combined $131.8 billion in in federal tax revenue between 2017 and 2025. That is based on an estimated 15 percent retail sales tax, payroll tax deductions and business tax revenue.

The federal government would reap $51.7 billion in sales tax from a legal marijuana market between 2017 and 2025, entirely new revenue for a business that remains illegal

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...on-jobs/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.63a919e358f6

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
The coppers won't like it with billions less to spend, so some of the feds will look at it as a lose/lose...

Time to start the 'Coppers to Gardners' program....lol

Yeah no doubt. It would also save billions in law enforcement budgets. Big win/win for the feds.

Last edited:

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Yeah no doubt. It would also save billions in law enforcement budgets. Big win/win for the feds.
The study is also missing the taxation from all of the supporting and related industries. Federal legalization is going to feel like a breath of fresh air to the economy. Export, once it goes global, is going to be awesome. :)

Easy7

Veteran
It would be so huge, they would pass laws limiting production. That or they would just let the market figure itself out. I really think though they would limit production. Trump is so busy with a trade war, I don't think he understands things all too well.

Just the shear amount that could be grown is staggering. Lot's of bible states don't seem interested in backing things like this however. Perhaps when youth grows up, but those are very brainwashed states. They probably all got A+'s in D.A.R.E.

It'd be hard for the small guy to get into the biz and make a profit. Acres and acres and acres of super soil, machines planting seedlings or clones (clones would be more labor intensive), machine harvested and dried. A shitty product like Budweiser and people eating it right up.

It's JUST barely be cheaper to grow it at home, barely. But it's not like beer. It's not like the drunk that always drinks the same cheap ass brew. Stoners like to try something a bit different here and there.

Gry

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Big pharma knows that is chump change.
[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I can not think of a less moral lobby group.
[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]They bend over backwards to eliminate physician assisted suicide bills.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Sitting here listening to a case of unauthorized use of pharmaceuticals
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]being used during police interrogations.
[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT]

Easy7

Veteran
Pharmi lobbies, defense lobbies, justice lobbies, all pretty damn lawless if you ask me!

Medfinder

Chemon 91
Great posts by all.

seeing the California program here where i live and the LOST tax dollars the STATE had hoped for was way short.

Easy7

Veteran
Not many social problems from Tylenol but we can't fix stupidity.

The legal market is way different and in a lot of ways appears the same. Just more out of the closet and in the store. I don't even have money or freedom in a legal market. It's not legal here yet and attachments change. Hard to change attachments but I didn't have as much attachment to the black market as just the weed.

We have 10 acres give or take just growing hay. Cannot even get the first cutting in so far this year. My folks are getting older and growing weed is hard logistical work. Who even knows what federal permits and state regulations would cost? Being a felon I'm not granted a lot of privileges at all. They seem to want to totally exclude anyone with a history in orange from a plant and it's industry.

More bullshit from society yet just having legal weed would be a world of difference to me. Ordering seeds, and other gear, maybe even having a grow for the first time in a long time. But my family and community don't seem to know the same attitude I have and have had towards cannabis.

10 acres just growing hay. 3 barns for 15 goats. Not tiny barns either. Nobody has any foresight building this farm at all oriented for a cannabis operation. I'd just get seeds going in a greenhouse, as cheaply as possible. Super soil the hay field as much as possible for as cheap as possible. Use a new England planter or other make and model and spread them out as far as the machine can. Then let it grow. Get a crew to sex the field and chop it all down for the barn at harvest. No light dep, no freaking out about quality. Outdoor is outdoor. That or spend more time on more quality and smaller harvest. That last bit there is the whole free market model. Either yield or quality. But as we all age the ability is getting smaller without a crew.

I'd sell it by the ton, field trimmed un-manicured. I'll even cure it in bulk.

Easy7

Veteran
Honestly the farm isn't even that great of a place for blowing up the field with ganja. It has a driveway that runs along part of the field and the light pollution would need fenced off (more money). Plus the security lights and old pops raging paranoia.

That's why i play the lotto!

soil margin

Veteran
The study is also missing the taxation from all of the supporting and related industries. Federal legalization is going to feel like a breath of fresh air to the economy. Export, once it goes global, is going to be awesome. :)

Yeah you said it mate. I can't wait to participate in a legal international cannabis market with fully capable import/export going on. Probably all we need is like China and India to join the club and the rest of the world will follow along.

Latest posts

Latest posts