What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Autoflower veg lights

johnyblack

Good day gentlemen!

As a new grower I did my homework but there is still a grey zone I am unable to answer by myself. I am planing on planting a couple if autoflowers to grow some of my own smoke and I plan to start them indoor for a couple of weeks and then plant them outside.

The lights I plan on using are 58w T8 lights with light temperature 6500k and 5000 lumens. I was wondering if this would be a good light bulb considering that it gives of 5000 lumens. All growers are recommending something in the 2800 lumen range. Is there a reason for that. My simpleton logic says that more lumens the better. Is the light sufficient or do you recommend some other t8 bulb??? I plan on growing my plants for no more that a couple of inches high, them move them outside. :biggrin:

smilley

Veteran
Yup, that's what I use for early veg, up to about 6" tall. I have a 4 - tube fixture.

johnyblack

Fantastic. So what you are saying is that, more lumens is always better and that these lights will we more that fine for starting autoflowers? :D :D

Fantastic. So what you are saying is that, more lumens is always better and that these lights will we more that fine for starting autoflowers? :D :D

2800 is the minimum 5000 is a mid range and 7500 is the optimum especially in flower. Get much higher then that and you can start bleaching and burning plants so there is a upper limit. I run around 7k through the whole grow even in veg I have 8sq ft cabs that I run 400w hps systems in. I germinate with cfls but as soon as they get true leaves I hit em with the big guns.

pumpkinpie eyes

Veteran

yep you want highest lumens. then transplant in final pot or in ground, south side wit most sun exposure. have frown aridbud's afterthought autos fer several yrs- they do well indoors, under fluoro/led or outside. rightous smoke!

johnyblack

Hahaha Bird you sure made me laugh! Compared to my 58w T8s, 400w hps us a truly big gun, but I am only looking to germinate and veg them until they are around 3 inches tall and them move them outside to the ultimate biggest gun. For this purpose I think they should work just fine as smiley stated, he has the same setup and has no problems.

The only question I have left and I will ask you boys here (little off topic but nevermind) is what do you guys use for fertilizing autoflowers during the flowering cycle?

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
General Organics or Roots organics (1/3-1/3 strength)- been using GO for several years, switching to Roots. Both quality for auto bloom cycle.

Hahaha Bird you sure made me laugh! Compared to my 58w T8s, 400w hps us a truly big gun, but I am only looking to germinate and veg them until they are around 3 inches tall and them move them outside to the ultimate biggest gun. For this purpose I think they should work just fine as smiley stated, he has the same setup and has no problems.

The only question I have left and I will ask you boys here (little off topic but nevermind) is what do you guys use for fertilizing autoflowers during the flowering cycle?

Oh yeah man nothing beats the sun I wish I lived somewhere that I could grow outdoors. And yeah those lights are more than adequate even little 23w cfls would work just fine. Good luck with your grow johny

Latest posts

Latest posts