What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

You are given a lump sum of $25,000. What would you do?

festerous

Veteran
Pay the rest of my property off.

Buy a portable sawmill.

Pick up a pair of A/D/S L1530 speakers

Party like Charlie Sheen!

wutwut

Veteran
probably i go to buy a new bike and sell everything what i do not need. then start living in a woods but also spend time with family aswell while we are eating well

some tons i donate for people who needs it but not in money. let me get stuff which makes their life better and is necessary.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
Shares in holiday associated companies looks favourable now. Worth nothing, and after looking death in the face, many will be treating themselves. But who will get through this, and who will close, then reinvent themselves. A great way of shaking off shareholders, at a time when profits dictate having a break anyway.

Phaeton

Speed of Dark
Veteran
I do not have to guess, I received $27,000 in a one time payment in 2006.
Paid bills with a large part, then paid debts that were not official but I felt I owed due to past favors received.

Then the remaining $16,000 went to refurbishing the grow room with a three room, five plant perpetual using mostly LED's and square wave HID (this was 14 years ago). A fourth room was dedicated to research.
This all worked out very well and life was good all the way until the cancer and heart problems hit.
No, I did not have health insurance and everything, including the house and land, went for medical expenses.

But for ten years I was THE gourmet gardener in my area.

weregild

I would go through my garage and update a lot of my tooling. I need a new car jack, my current one takes about 15 minutes to reach work height, which is better than not having one at all, but dang this takes forever. I have a number of shelves and tool boxes succumbing to the ravages of time. I need a new H-Frame shop press too, my old one has fallen slowly into disrepair. But I think if I were actually given 25k I would just sit on it for awhile and really try to workout what purchases would have the greatest effect on my peace of mind. I don’t have a lot of debt but I could pay down the mortgage a bit, or maybe I would put 75% in etf’s now that they are cheaper and leave the remaining 25% in a rainy day account. Just knowing I have some liquid cash sitting nearby is nice for the ol’ peace of mind.

Honestly these types of questions are always fun for about 5m and then I just get sad that I don’t have 25k laying about : D

theclearspot

Travel. Asia: Burma, Cambodia. Not sure where else. I was in Thailand once but overly commercial I like off the beaten track, weed. Nepal also.

Smokerman

Veteran
I do not have to guess, I received $27,000 in a one time payment in 2006.
Paid bills with a large part, then paid debts that were not official but I felt I owed due to past favors received.

Then the remaining $16,000 went to refurbishing the grow room with a three room, five plant perpetual using mostly LED's and square wave HID (this was 14 years ago). A fourth room was dedicated to research.
This all worked out very well and life was good all the way until the cancer and heart problems hit.
No, I did not have health insurance and everything, including the house and land, went for medical expenses.

But for ten years I was THE gourmet gardener in my area.

Wow, so sorry this happened to you.
I’m extremely grateful to live in Canada where everyone receives free (paid by taxes) health care.